Brian McCann (Calling all Braves fans) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brian McCann (Calling all Braves fans)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Hobbes » Wed May 10, 2006 4:21 pm

Havok1517 wrote:My question is this, Salty is ready and is better than McCann at just about everything but McCann is doing well and the pitchers he's catching seem to like him a lot. So...what is Atlanta going to do?

I see Salty moving to first base next year assuming McCann has a successful season. Once McCann proves that he is the real deal (as much as you can in one season), the Braves will feel confident in moving Salty. I believe the reason LaRoche is still at first instead of some offseason acquisition is because he is merely a placeholder until Salty is ready next season.
Hobbes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Wed May 10, 2006 4:30 pm

Hobbes wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:My question is this, Salty is ready and is better than McCann at just about everything but McCann is doing well and the pitchers he's catching seem to like him a lot. So...what is Atlanta going to do?

I see Salty moving to first base next year assuming McCann has a successful season. Once McCann proves that he is the real deal (as much as you can in one season), the Braves will feel confident in moving Salty. I believe the reason LaRoche is still at first instead of some offseason acquisition is because he is merely a placeholder until Salty is ready next season.

Thats interesting because I've heard that Salty calls the better game, at least in the minors. It would be interesting if they don't resign Pratt and make McCann the primary guy while Salty is at 1B and then let Salty catch on McCann's day off. In fact, I love it! :-)
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby hybrid » Wed May 10, 2006 5:00 pm

Who said Salty was ready, he is struggling w/ the jump to AA this year still. Also like someone stated, he is lacking on the defensive end even w/ his improvements.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Havok1517 » Wed May 10, 2006 5:18 pm

hybrid wrote:

Who said Salty was ready, he is struggling w/ the jump to AA this year still. Also like someone stated, he is lacking on the defensive end even w/ his improvements.

Every prospect report I've read, though probably not taking into account current minor league performance, say he's Atl's #1 prospect and ready for the majors. Its far too early to currently give minor league stats a ton of credit. A lot of the stud prospects are having stuggles in their new environments (Salty, Stewart, Bill, etc. ) Salty's numbers, besides his avg, are decent btw. I'm just curious what will happen, when Salty gets the call up be it this year or on the starting roster next year, to McCann. It is a very fair question.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby hybrid » Wed May 10, 2006 5:26 pm

Well he is their top prospect, though there isn't anyone that close to forcing his hand. I'm not sure what reports you have read that said he is ready, but I would take those w/ a grain of salt. He just finished High A and had yet to take a big jump to AA until this year. Until someone shows they can hit well in AA, they are never ready for the majors. His numbers are bad to decent across the board, which for a top prospect isn't very good.

I'm still a firm believer that he will be moved off to 1B when he finally makes it up. I don't think LRouche is anything to write home about and the Braves should figure that out eventually.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby brandnew » Wed May 10, 2006 8:38 pm

Salty is definitely not ready, and he's not "better than McCann at just about everything," considering he hasn't proven a thing above High A so far. I love the guy, but he needs to move to 1B. He's huge, and his bat is better suited to be in the lineup everyday.

As for McCann, I think he's a stud. Just watching him you can see he's a great hitter, never tries to do too much. I think .340 or whatever he's hitting is a little high, but .300 is definitely possible, maybe even higher if he stays hot for an extended period of time. I really like his pop, the comparisons of Varitek look spot on.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Wed May 10, 2006 9:03 pm

Agree with hybrid - Salty is not ready and I have yet to read any prospect report that states that Salty is the better defensive catcher vs. McCann.

Salty is ATL's #1 prospect due to his bat, not his glove. And Salty is the one who's been taking fielding practice at 1B in AA, not McCann. Now, Salty is not bad defensively, but he is not as good as McCann.

And at .230 with a 27/9 K/BB ratio, a .389 SLG and .704 OPS, can't see Salty threatening McCann (or Laroche) anytime soon.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby Birds05 » Wed May 10, 2006 9:10 pm

Judging by what you've seen so far from McCann, do think he's better than, say, B. Molina?
Birds05
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Doughhead » Wed May 10, 2006 9:59 pm

Birds05 wrote:Judging by what you've seen so far from McCann, do think he's better than, say, B. Molina?

Yes
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby brandnew » Wed May 10, 2006 10:02 pm

Dawgpound 1613 wrote:Agree with hybrid - Salty is not ready and I have yet to read any prospect report that states that Salty is the better defensive catcher vs. McCann.

Salty is ATL's #1 prospect due to his bat, not his glove. And Salty is the one who's been taking fielding practice at 1B in AA, not McCann. Now, Salty is not bad defensively, but he is not as good as McCann.

And at .230 with a 27/9 K/BB ratio, a .389 SLG and .704 OPS, can't see Salty threatening McCann (or Laroche) anytime soon.

.220 with a 32/18 K/BB :-b

LaRoche :-t

Salty's a young guy in AA, only been a month, he's got plenty of time to turn it around, though he has been pretty bad so far.[/b]
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers