Brian McCann (Calling all Braves fans) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brian McCann (Calling all Braves fans)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brian McCann (Calling all Braves fans)

Postby Doughhead » Wed May 10, 2006 1:50 pm

I had this guy targeted as my catcher at the beginning of the year but ended up going with Johjima instead. However, I've kept my eye on McCann and he's looked good. What's his story? Is he a good pure hitter or is his .337 average and .901 OPS a bit of a fluke? Have we seen the best he has to offer or is he the real deal? Was he recently moved up in the order? If so, does this mean his hot start is likely to continue.

Any Braves fans out there?
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Wed May 10, 2006 1:54 pm

I just rolled the dice on him in my money league, and expect great things. If he can somehow hang on to the 5th spot in that lineup behind Chipper and Andruw, he is bound for great stats this year. ;-D
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby tomkatt » Wed May 10, 2006 2:03 pm

I like McCann a lot. He doesn't over swing, but has very good pop. I'm sure he'll be prone to some young-guy slumps, but the kid handles the bat very well. ;-D
tomkatt
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Hobbes » Wed May 10, 2006 2:07 pm

As a Braves fan, I'd say his average is higher than we would expect (I'm thinking a .285 hitter would be reasonable to expect), but he should continue to be a good OPS guy. He's a good hitter with nice power.

He's probably not a number 5 hitter long-term, but the Braves don't have a good alternative option right now. Bobby Cox likes a lefty after Andruw Jones in the lineup, and LaRoche has not been getting the job done in that slot. Langerhans might get some time in the five slot, but he doesn't always play against lefties like McCann does, and he has cooled off recently. Cox also likes to keep the pressure low on McCann since he is still getting accustomed to being a big league catcher.

Still, McCann is a good hitter, and we expect him to be a solid-to-great hitter down the line.
Hobbes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby option245 » Wed May 10, 2006 2:15 pm

Hobbes wrote:As a Braves fan, I'd say his average is higher than we would expect (I'm thinking a .285 hitter would be reasonable to expect), but he should continue to be a good OPS guy. He's a good hitter with nice power.

He's probably not a number 5 hitter long-term, but the Braves don't have a good alternative option right now. Bobby Cox likes a lefty after Andruw Jones in the lineup, and LaRoche has not been getting the job done in that slot. Langerhans might get some time in the five slot, but he doesn't always play against lefties like McCann does, and he has cooled off recently. Cox also likes to keep the pressure low on McCann since he is still getting accustomed to being a big league catcher.

Still, McCann is a good hitter, and we expect him to be a solid-to-great hitter down the line.

right on the money ;-D
option245
College Coach
College Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Nerfherders » Wed May 10, 2006 3:18 pm

Yeah McCann is a pretty good catcher all-around. I think he's a little over his head right now as he is a dead-pull hitter at this stage of his career. Pitchers' books are still going around on this guy - he hasn't played very long. But he's the best lefty bat in the Braves lineup; has a good eye, and usually doesnt swing at bad pitches.

He's moved up to 5th spot starting last night but it will probably be temporary until/if LaRoche gets back on track.

I would take him as a backup if you need one, and as a starter if you cant get anything better than say Michael Barrett. In other words right now he's probably the second best catcher in the NL.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 4)

Postby tomkatt » Wed May 10, 2006 3:42 pm

Nerfherders wrote:Yeah McCann is a pretty good catcher all-around. I think he's a little over his head right now as he is a dead-pull hitter at this stage of his career. Pitchers' books are still going around on this guy - he hasn't played very long. But he's the best lefty bat in the Braves lineup; has a good eye, and usually doesnt swing at bad pitches.

He's moved up to 5th spot starting last night but it will probably be temporary until/if LaRoche gets back on track.

I would take him as a backup if you need one, and as a starter if you cant get anything better than say Michael Barrett. In other words right now he's probably the second best catcher in the NL.

Changing the subject, but I kind of wonder if LaRoche is ever going to hit for a decent average. Just seems like he slumps too much. He'll hit ya a timely homer on occasion, but I've been a bit disappointed with him thus far.
tomkatt
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Havok1517 » Wed May 10, 2006 3:47 pm

tomkatt wrote:
Nerfherders wrote:Yeah McCann is a pretty good catcher all-around. I think he's a little over his head right now as he is a dead-pull hitter at this stage of his career. Pitchers' books are still going around on this guy - he hasn't played very long. But he's the best lefty bat in the Braves lineup; has a good eye, and usually doesnt swing at bad pitches.

Changing the subject, but I kind of wonder if LaRoche is ever going to hit for a decent average. Just seems like he slumps too much. He'll hit ya a timely homer on occasion, but I've been a bit disappointed with him thus far.

My question is this, Salty is ready and is better than McCann at just about everything but McCann is doing well and the pitchers he's catching seem to like him a lot. So...what is Atlanta going to do?
Last edited by Havok1517 on Wed May 10, 2006 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 138)

Postby slomo007 » Wed May 10, 2006 3:56 pm

tomkatt wrote:

A bit disappointed? He was a semi-stud prospect when he came up, and if not for Cox's persistence to bat him 5th he would have absolutely horrible major league stats. He belongs in the 7th or 8th spot of the order until he shows something.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Hobbes » Wed May 10, 2006 4:16 pm

tomkatt wrote:Changing the subject, but I kind of wonder if LaRoche is ever going to hit for a decent average. Just seems like he slumps too much. He'll hit ya a timely homer on occasion, but I've been a bit disappointed with him thus far.

IMO, LaRoche will never hit for decent average. His swing is so looooong, he can't adjust to a pitch. He puts the bat in motion and unless the ball is where he thought it would be when he started his bat, he's not hitting it. Plus, he can't hit lefties for crap. He might put up some O.K. homer and RBI totals, but that's it.
Hobbes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers