Get ready for pink bats on Sunday - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Get ready for pink bats on Sunday

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DK » Wed May 10, 2006 10:08 pm

Madison wrote:Not to sound like a smart alek, but do you really believe there are people out there who don't know breast cancer exists? 8-o

Nah, you misunderstood my point. Think of it this way - Everyone knows that AIDS exists, but there's a rush of donations to research of an AIDS vaccine whenever there's a big fundraiser/awareness program for it.

Maybe that wasn't the best example, but do you understand what I mean?
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Thursday » Wed May 10, 2006 10:26 pm

What a great idea. Excellent work, MLB. ;-D
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Joe Mauer » Thu May 11, 2006 1:00 am

Strasil42 wrote:
Madison wrote:
dewey finn wrote::-o your way of saying you don't approve eh?

you use it a lot.

Guessing that's directed at me? I use this guy---> :-t when I don't approve of something. ;-)

DK wrote:If anything, it's an awesome gesture by MLB to spread awareness about breast cancer.

Not to sound like a smart alek, but do you really believe there are people out there who don't know breast cancer exists? 8-o

I don't mind all the special stuff that MLB does for breast cancer, in fact I've donated to that cause, however, I don't believe pink bats is the brightest of ideas, and seriously doubt that a male major league ballplayer swinging a pink bat will teach anyone anything about breast cancer. Just my opinion though. B-)

I think its a great way to raise money for a great cause.
I love the idea of a pink bat. I wish Sheffield wasn't on the Dl, id love to see him wagging a pink bat.

Maybe then you should have someone change your moving shef bat to a pink one?

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby Krunk City King$ » Thu May 11, 2006 11:09 am

Last edited by Krunk City King$ on Thu May 11, 2006 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby acsguitar » Thu May 11, 2006 11:14 am

Super!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Krunk City King$ » Thu May 11, 2006 11:15 am

funny read...

05/02/2006 10:36 PM ET
Notes: Rangers to go pink
Players to use pink bats on Mother's Day for charity
By T.R. Sullivan / MLB.com

A number of Rangers are signing up with bat manufacturer Louisville Slugger to use pink bats on Mother's Day, May 14. The pink bats will have their mothers' names on them and will be sold afterward at auction to benefit the Susan B. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.

Third baseman Hank Blalock was the first to agree to do it. Michael Young also signed up.

"The first thing, it's for a good cause," Blalock said. "Secondly, I feel like a lot of guys will hop on board, so you won't stick out that much. But I made sure Mikey is going to do it. He hits in front of me so he'll be the guy that breaks the ice."

But Phil Nevin had a point.

"If you go deep, you'll have to keep using the bat," Nevin said.

"Nah," Blalock said. "It will just make the bat worth more at auction."

The Rangers play the Boston Red Sox on Mother's Day at Fenway Park and Blalock was trying to get others to join the cause. Mark DeRosa was a little reluctant.

"What is my bat going to get ... 20 bucks?" he asked Blalock.

"Hey, every little bit helps," Blalock said. "Dude, what if you pop a tater that day. That will make it worth more."

"Yeah, I'm going to pop a tater," said DeRosa, who just happened to hit a homer Tuesday after coming into the day with 25 home runs in 1,131 career at-bats.

But a few minutes later, Marcella DeRosa's son was on board.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/arti ... p&c_id=mlb
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby chadlincoln » Thu May 11, 2006 11:15 am

Why don't we put Spiderman on the bases too... ;-7
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Krunk City King$ » Thu May 11, 2006 11:21 am

echrisl wrote:How hilarious would it be if Barry Bonds hit 714 or 715 with a pink bat ... think of seeing that footage over and over for years ... I haven't seen him mentioned anywhere in association with this, and it doesn't seem like his style, but it's a funny idea. :-b

714 pink bat in cooperstown...

;-D
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Krunk City King$ » Thu May 11, 2006 11:22 am

Xtreemes wrote:Is there a full list of all the players using the bats anywhere?

Louisville Slugger made 400 of the bats. So far, around 50 major league players have agreed to use them Sunday.

"We haven't had a chance to speak to everyone we'd like to use one," said Chuck Schupp, director of professional sales for Louisville Slugger.

LaRue and Griffey said they see just one problem with using pink bats: If the lumber produces hits, the players won't want to give it up.

"Hopefully, we'll get some hits with them and keep using them," Griffey said.

But Louisville Slugger and Baseball have other plans in mind for the bats. The bats will be auctioned through Major League Baseball to raise money for the foundation.

Louisville Slugger made two bats to each player's specifications.

Many of the bats will be inscribed with the names of the players' mothers or grandmothers.

Stars like the New York Yankees' Derek Jeter and Boston's David Ortiz are participating.

And Schupp said Louisville Slugger is prepared if more players decide to go with pink.

"We made up some generics, also," Schupp said. "Other guys will be able to use them if they want, too."
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu May 11, 2006 11:50 am

I think this is great. It's just one day out of a long season. Let's show some respect and honor. My mother passed away from breast cancer 5 years ago and I will be touched to see so many people honoring those who have lived through it, died from it, currently battling it, and furthering research to prevent it.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers