Henry Owens - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Mets

Henry Owens

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mets9131 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:41 pm

Mets recalled RHP Henry Owens from Double-A Binghamton.
It was originally reported that Heath Bell was being recalled to replace Pedro Martinez, but he remains in the minors and Owens is now with the big club. The 27-year-old Owens will be making his major league debut after posting a 1.01 ERA and a 51/8 K/BB ratio in 25 innings for Binghamton. He has a chance to be a setup man if his arm holds up.
Excited to see his stuff with those numbers hes got to be nasty
mets9131
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:45 pm

Good news. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby pjalst » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:55 pm

Owens pitched tonight, he retired the side getting one K. He throws heat and thats about it. I think he needs to ad another pitch to be Mariano status.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 63)

Postby DK » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:06 pm

pjalst wrote:Owens pitched tonight, he retired the side getting one K. He throws heat and thats about it. I think he needs to ad another pitch to be Mariano status.

I don't think anyone's expecting him to be Mariano...
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby pjalst » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:18 pm

DK wrote:
pjalst wrote:Owens pitched tonight, he retired the side getting one K. He throws heat and thats about it. I think he needs to ad another pitch to be Mariano status.

I don't think anyone's expecting him to be Mariano...

Jeez, I forget people take you literaly here. I know he's not expected to be Mariano, what I mean is he needs to ad another pitch to make his fastball better.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 63)

Postby The Wright Stuff » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:37 am

He gets bombed in 1 game here and they send him straight back to AA. Heh, I rather him try to bounce back up here as opposed to sending down Heath Bell and calling him back up 4 times a month to pitch mop up.
The Wright Stuff
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:14 am

Lol. Heath Bell is like a human ping-pong ball. With Owens I don't mind that they sent him back down. He still needs work on controlling his breaking pitch and it's probably better he does that down there. Plus the Mets bullpen is pretty packed with Maine and Pelfrey out there too.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Owens picked for Olympic qualifier

Postby Porehussla12 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:53 pm

Owens picked for Olympic qualifier
8/15/2006 (Source: Press & Sun Bulletin)

Binghamton Mets' closer Henry Owens has been selected to the USA Baseball Olympic Qualifying team. Owens was one of 24 players picked for the team that is scheduled to begin practice for the Americas Olympic Qualifying Tournament this week in Florida. He's scheduled to fly to Florida on Wednesday morning.

"At first, I was reluctant to say yes right away," Owens said Monday night. "At the time (he was asked), we had a nice winning streak and obviously we're contending for the playoffs, and I feel obligated to this team.

"At the same time, opportunities like this to represent my country don't come by very often. It was a tough decision, but playing for Team USA is potentially a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity."

Owens has been one of the most consistent players this season for the B-Mets, who are tied for the final Eastern League North Division playoff spot with 22 games left in the regular season. He has 19 saves in 21 opportunities and converted his first 18 save chances.

In 37 innings, he has 70 strikeouts and just 10 walks, and he has allowed just nine runs all season.

In July, Owens was called up to New York and made three appearances with the Mets. He pitched four innings and had a 9.00 ERA.

The Olympic qualifying tournament is scheduled to run in Havana, Cuba, from Aug. 25 through Sept. 6.

The top two teams at the tournament qualify for the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing.

Team USA, which is being managed by former big league manager Davey Johnson, is comprised of minor league players who are not on a major league team's 25-man roster.
Porehussla12
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Amazinz » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:51 pm

Should be a good experience because he definitely needs work on his pitches. I think he was selected as an alternate for the World Cup too.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to New York Mets