Cole Hamels.. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cole Hamels..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Secret Avatar » Thu May 18, 2006 6:07 pm

"I guess I'm an imbecile, then. I'm an imbecile for factoring in his minor league stats. Everybody here by now knows that minor league stats rarely, if ever, serve as a good predictor for major league success."

I said: "Anyone who wants to make ANY conclusions whatsoever about the guy's prospects based on those 11 innings . . ."

The key phrase is "based on those 11 innings" in the majors. I agree at this point the only thing to look at is his minor-league stats.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby EnFuego » Thu May 18, 2006 8:43 pm

EnFuego
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JohnGris » Thu May 18, 2006 9:02 pm

Secret Avatar wrote:"I guess I'm an imbecile, then. I'm an imbecile for factoring in his minor league stats. Everybody here by now knows that minor league stats rarely, if ever, serve as a good predictor for major league success."

I said: "Anyone who wants to make ANY conclusions whatsoever about the guy's prospects based on those 11 innings . . ."

The key phrase is "based on those 11 innings" in the majors. I agree at this point the only thing to look at is his minor-league stats.

Gotcha...Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part. ;-D
JohnGris
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mweir145 » Thu May 18, 2006 9:39 pm

PinotResa wrote:
Secret Avatar wrote:You have GOT to be kidding me with this "debate." Hamels has pitched a total of 11 innings in the majors. Anyone who wants to make ANY conclusions whatsoever about the guy's prospects based on those 11 innings--good or bad--is just an imbecile. :-B

What's with the nearly always harsh tone over here in the baseball cafe? You guys are too much most of the time
:-o :-°

Talk about self-importance and overblown egos, master. ;-)

I find this funny coming from you. :-D

As for Hamels, it's far too early in his career (11 IP) to really be making inferences about his future in this league. IMO, he has a lot of fantasy value for now and is likely to improve as he gets settled into the league. That's what really counts.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

h

Postby joeg24 » Fri May 19, 2006 12:55 am

Haha. This is quite entertaining.... =

A week 7 pick up is getting crusified....... oh he sucks... well actually no he's been quite nice to have, despite whate the Cafe Experts have said....
joeg24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:04 pm

He's back...

Phillies activated LHP Cole Hamels from the 15-day disabled list.
Hamels is starting Tuesday night versus the Diamondbacks. Jun. 6 - 9:40 pm et
rotoworld
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 120)

Postby Yoda » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:12 pm

Here's hoping he stays healthy for the rest of the season... but I doubt it :,-( :,-( :,-(
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Smee » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:28 pm

Yikes, Hamels is really getting roughed up today against the Baltimore and he's lost his last four starts. Granted he hasn't been getting loads of run support but he really hasn't looked all that good either. His walks are a bit high and he doesn't strike out enough to compensate. His WHIP (before the Baltimore massacre) was 1.38 which is getting up there.

Are we still collectively high on Hamels? What's the deal? I can't admit to seeing any more of him than the box score, but I think that might be enough.

:-P
Go 'Topes!
Smee
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amazing Oopah » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:38 pm

Smee wrote:Yikes, Hamels is really getting roughed up today against the Baltimore and he's lost his last four starts. Granted he hasn't been getting loads of run support but he really hasn't looked all that good either. His walks are a bit high and he doesn't strike out enough to compensate. His WHIP (before the Baltimore massacre) was 1.38 which is getting up there.

Are we still collectively high on Hamels? What's the deal? I can't admit to seeing any more of him than the box score, but I think that might be enough.

:-P

The dream is over, I think :~( Time for Cole to hit the waiver wire showers.
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Yoda » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:30 pm

To recap, it was an up and down season for Hamels. Started off great in the minors and came with as much hype as any young pitcher we've ever seen. He had his share of struggles but bounced back and pitched very well post ASB, improving his BB rate dramatically (almost by half) although the HR rate went up by quite a bit. What is most encouraging is that he kept his K rate up while lowering his BB rate.

9.86 K/9, 3.02 BB/9 is very respectable especially when you consider he is only 22 and has very limited experience over A ball.

He finishes the season ranked #54 among all starting pitchers according to ESPN PR in his rookie campaign (just behind Clemens and Pedro). Overall, a solid season and as long as he can stay healthy, I expect him to be an excellent pitcher next season.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers