This is how dumb America is... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

This is how dumb America is...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed May 10, 2006 3:19 pm

knapplc wrote:
finalheaven wrote:I know half is 50%, I should have put over half. :-B And, no, I'm not going to live in Japan. I just hate how our country sees itself as a superpower when we don't even know how to do basic algebra.

What kind of nonsense is this? Do you understand that there is not a country in the world where EVERY citizen is intelligent? Why in the world would you expect every American to know the answer to this question?

I just don't understand your point in this statement above. Are you making the statement that Americans are somehow less than the citizens of other countries? If so, on what do you base that statement? Against whom are you comparing Americans?

Sorry, but you sound very young and very inexperienced by making a statement like this.

He's a junior in college I think he said. Colleges can warp a young mind if you let it. :-o
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed May 10, 2006 3:34 pm

finalheaven wrote:I know half is 50%, I should have put over half. :-B And, no, I'm not going to live in Japan. I just hate how our country sees itself as a superpower when we don't even know how to do basic algebra.

i aced 3 college level calculus classes and got the question wrong...and you know what, i dont feel stupid becasue other than calc class, i havent used calculus once

please tell me how being good at advanced mathematics is beneficial to the average american?
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby finalheaven » Wed May 10, 2006 3:58 pm

You're taking what I said out of context. I don't expect every American to know the answer, but I expect more than 30% of Americans to get that answer right. It just goes to show that our education system does us no good when it comes to teaching us how to retain information; all we're taught to do is memorize information and spit it back out.
No, I am not saying that we are "less" than other citizens in other countries; I just think that with our resources and abilities, we should be smarter than we are. This is not advanced mathematics; this is a simple problem that anyone should know if they think about it. I'm not saying people will get it right away, but more than 30% should be able to get it right. I don't know why you thought I was saying we're "less" than other people; intelligence wise, yes, Americans are subpar because of how we're taught. Not all of us, just the general majority. If our teachers were taught how to teach us better, then we wouldn't even be having this conversation. It's no one's fault but ours when it comes to learning; anyone can learn anything. We just choose not to, more times than not.
My goal was not to start a debate; I was venting about how ignorant some Americans are when it comes to basic math. I guarentee that each one of us is able to get that problem, we just have to look at it for a minute...I hope.
finalheaven
College Coach
College Coach

Postby knapplc » Wed May 10, 2006 4:08 pm

finalheaven wrote:You're taking what I said out of context. I don't expect every American to know the answer, but I expect more than 30% of Americans to get that answer right. It just goes to show that our education system does us no good when it comes to teaching us how to retain information; all we're taught to do is memorize information and spit it back out.
No, I am not saying that we are "less" than other citizens in other countries; I just think that with our resources and abilities, we should be smarter than we are. This is not advanced mathematics; this is a simple problem that anyone should know if they think about it. I'm not saying people will get it right away, but more than 30% should be able to get it right. I don't know why you thought I was saying we're "less" than other people; intelligence wise, yes, Americans are subpar because of how we're taught. Not all of us, just the general majority. If our teachers were taught how to teach us better, then we wouldn't even be having this conversation. It's no one's fault but ours when it comes to learning; anyone can learn anything. We just choose not to, more times than not.

OK, I pretty much agree with everything you just wrote, but that's a far cry from this post:
finalheaven wrote:I just hate how our country sees itself as a superpower when we don't even know how to do basic algebra.

I think in general we'd all agree that we're not as smart as we could be in this country, the education system is drastically flawed and a large segment of the population doesn't have the sense it takes to come in from out in the rain.

On the other hand, and it’s important to remember this, there is a significant portion of the American population that is remarkably intelligent. I would tend to point towards those people as more indicative of the country, not to those who can’t do this math problem.

So we’re cool. Just don’t bash my country. ;-) :-D :-]
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby finalheaven » Wed May 10, 2006 4:16 pm

I meant the previous post in the fact that it was a generalization; I know there are quite a few of us who are intelligent, but all other countries see are the people who wouldn't know pi from a pie.

I'm not trying to be country-bashing or anything, I just don't like the direction we're headed, because our heads are still too big for our bodies.
finalheaven
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Wed May 10, 2006 7:31 pm

finalheaven wrote:I meant the previous post in the fact that it was a generalization; I know there are quite a few of us who are intelligent, but all other countries see are the people who wouldn't know pi from a pie.

I'm not trying to be country-bashing or anything, I just don't like the direction we're headed, because our heads are still too big for our bodies.

go to japan. please.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby finalheaven » Wed May 10, 2006 8:00 pm

No, I'll take a pass on that one. Thanks for the offer though ;-D
finalheaven
College Coach
College Coach

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed May 10, 2006 8:01 pm

I was confused with the Math question at first, got it after 30 sec of calm thinking. The question is confusing though.

Pacman wrote:Truth:

Once on Wheel of Fortune, this is what was showing on the puzzle:

_T CAME UPON A
M_DN_GHT CLEAR

And the guy says: "Pat I'd like to solve the puzzle. E.T. came upon a midnight clear?"

BUZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I was stunned. So was Pat. So was the rest of the world.

All I can say is, it MUST be harder there on the set than it is at home.

what is the answer to the puzzle? I REALLY don't know(and I'm not being sarcastic)
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Wed May 10, 2006 8:17 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:I was confused with the Math question at first, got it after 30 sec of calm thinking. The question is confusing though.

_T CAME UPON A
M_DN_GHT CLEAR

And the guy says: "Pat I'd like to solve the puzzle. E.T. came upon a midnight clear?"

BUZZZZZZZZZZZZ

what is the answer to the puzzle? I REALLY don't know(and I'm not being sarcastic)

well considering every vowel besides one has been used...
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed May 10, 2006 8:19 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:I was confused with the Math question at first, got it after 30 sec of calm thinking. The question is confusing though.

_T CAME UPON A
M_DN_GHT CLEAR

BUZZZZZZZZZZZZ

well considering every vowel besides one has been used...

doh! should I have my IQ checked? :,-(
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk