How to please the IT person

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu May 11, 2006 11:07 am

acsguitar wrote:
zepfan wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Madison wrote:
josebach wrote:
Simulacrum wrote:God, IT people are so whiny. Just fix the dumb computers and crawl back into your caves, you little trolls. }:-)

:-b

You mean like Nick Burns, computer guy?

http://www.compfused.com/directlink/1353/

Not sure which is funnier. ACS's list, or that video. Both are great! :-b

I think I'm funnier then Jimmy Fallon. Oh wait let me finish laughing at my own joke before I continue. Ok yea he sucks

I know I was surprised he managed not to laugh for that whole skit. What composure.

A true professional no wonder he got cast in that redsox love fest movie

hey, what's not to like, Fallon, the Sox and that fat pig Drew Berrymore
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Thu May 11, 2006 11:27 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
zepfan wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Madison wrote:
josebach wrote:
Simulacrum wrote:God, IT people are so whiny. Just fix the dumb computers and crawl back into your caves, you little trolls. }:-)

:-b

You mean like Nick Burns, computer guy?

http://www.compfused.com/directlink/1353/

Not sure which is funnier. ACS's list, or that video. Both are great! :-b

I think I'm funnier then Jimmy Fallon. Oh wait let me finish laughing at my own joke before I continue. Ok yea he sucks

I know I was surprised he managed not to laugh for that whole skit. What composure.

A true professional no wonder he got cast in that redsox love fest movie

hey, what's not to like, Fallon, the Sox and that fat pig Drew Berrymore

I think if I watched that movie I'd spontaneously combust
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby ironman » Thu May 11, 2006 11:44 am

Nice list. Back at the old agency I worked for I was given the task of being the computer support person in the office, mainly because I was the youngest, hence I apparently knew the most about computers. Some of the stuff I saw was ridiculous. Keep in mind this place had like 20 people in the office.

- When a virus ran rampant through the network, I had to go around and get everyone that was infected fixed. When I asked if they were letting the anti-virus do its live update to get new virus definitions, I was told that they normally close that window when it comes on because, "it slows down my internet". Yeah, we don't want you to have slow internet for a few minutes. Go right ahead and close that. One lperson's computer hadn't had a virus update in 10 months! Another's had completely uninstalled the program because "they didn't recognize it".

- One of our managers came to me panicking that all of the files he was working on in Excel had "disappeared". He showed me his problem. When he opened Excel the projects were no longer listed in his recently opened files list on the "File" dropdown menu. Someone must've "accidentally deleted them off the network". I explained to him the wonderful features of clicking File > Open. A few weeks later I discovered to make sure the problem never happened again, he was saving all his files to his Desktop so they were all in plain sight on his screen. Because that's the most secure place to put your files. Not on our server that has continually 24-hour backup tapes running.

- Another time, same guy, I was explaining to him how to find something on a website. When he got to a page I directed him to the link he wanted by telling him to "click on that" and pointed to the link. He proceeded, and this is no joke, to put his mouse up to his screen and click on the spot that link was located. I can't tell you what happened next because I blacked out and swallowed my tongue. ;-7

- One of our more "technical" people was creating some maps in a program called MapInfo (or as I like to refer to it CrapInfo). He couldn't keep things in his layout straight claiming, that "the computer was shifting objects on him when he wasn't doing anything." He rectified the situation by taking a red sharpie and literally drawing crosshairs on his computer screen. That way when the "dang computer shifted things" he could return it to the correct place.

- I also had to commonly tell one of our receptionists that the insert stupid SPAM offer (Cracker Barrel, Klingenberg Virus, etc) she got in an email forward was not real and that she shouldn't forward to everyone else at work.

- One other thing which isn't totally related. I love it when people join email lists, and then decide they don't want to be on them anymore, so instead of going to the group's website and unsubscribing they just simply send out an email to the list saying, and this is the actual message I got the other day,

Please take me off your E-Mail address list. I am getting a lot of
E-Mails that do not pertain to me or my work.

Really? So to rectify your problem you chose to send a message to everyone on the list that doesn't pertain to us or OUR work? This wouldn't be so bad if it didn't get followed up by 3 more Yahoos within 4 hours replying with, "yeah I want to be removed to". Then this morning the website's administrator came on and explained the proper avenues one must take to unsubscribe. Finally the issue was laid to rest, right? Nope. About an hour after that, someone replied to the administrator's message no less, with "I too, would like to be removed from this list." WHAT?!?! Do people not read emails? :-[
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Postby acsguitar » Thu May 11, 2006 2:13 pm

ironman wrote:Nice list. Back at the old agency I worked for I was given the task of being the computer support person in the office, mainly because I was the youngest, hence I apparently knew the most about computers. Some of the stuff I saw was ridiculous. Keep in mind this place had like 20 people in the office.

- When a virus ran rampant through the network, I had to go around and get everyone that was infected fixed. When I asked if they were letting the anti-virus do its live update to get new virus definitions, I was told that they normally close that window when it comes on because, "it slows down my internet". Yeah, we don't want you to have slow internet for a few minutes. Go right ahead and close that. One lperson's computer hadn't had a virus update in 10 months! Another's had completely uninstalled the program because "they didn't recognize it".

- One of our managers came to me panicking that all of the files he was working on in Excel had "disappeared". He showed me his problem. When he opened Excel the projects were no longer listed in his recently opened files list on the "File" dropdown menu. Someone must've "accidentally deleted them off the network". I explained to him the wonderful features of clicking File > Open. A few weeks later I discovered to make sure the problem never happened again, he was saving all his files to his Desktop so they were all in plain sight on his screen. Because that's the most secure place to put your files. Not on our server that has continually 24-hour backup tapes running.

- Another time, same guy, I was explaining to him how to find something on a website. When he got to a page I directed him to the link he wanted by telling him to "click on that" and pointed to the link. He proceeded, and this is no joke, to put his mouse up to his screen and click on the spot that link was located. I can't tell you what happened next because I blacked out and swallowed my tongue. ;-7

- One of our more "technical" people was creating some maps in a program called MapInfo (or as I like to refer to it CrapInfo). He couldn't keep things in his layout straight claiming, that "the computer was shifting objects on him when he wasn't doing anything." He rectified the situation by taking a red sharpie and literally drawing crosshairs on his computer screen. That way when the "dang computer shifted things" he could return it to the correct place.

- I also had to commonly tell one of our receptionists that the insert stupid SPAM offer (Cracker Barrel, Klingenberg Virus, etc) she got in an email forward was not real and that she shouldn't forward to everyone else at work.

- One other thing which isn't totally related. I love it when people join email lists, and then decide they don't want to be on them anymore, so instead of going to the group's website and unsubscribing they just simply send out an email to the list saying, and this is the actual message I got the other day,

Please take me off your E-Mail address list. I am getting a lot of
E-Mails that do not pertain to me or my work.

Really? So to rectify your problem you chose to send a message to everyone on the list that doesn't pertain to us or OUR work? This wouldn't be so bad if it didn't get followed up by 3 more Yahoos within 4 hours replying with, "yeah I want to be removed to". Then this morning the website's administrator came on and explained the proper avenues one must take to unsubscribe. Finally the issue was laid to rest, right? Nope. About an hour after that, someone replied to the administrator's message no less, with "I too, would like to be removed from this list." WHAT?!?! Do people not read emails? :-[

Ahh I don't handle stress well I don't think I can do this job much longer but its nice to hear that its not just me
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Previous

Return to General Talk