Posada's The Most Worthless Catcher I've Ever Seen - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Posada's The Most Worthless Catcher I've Ever Seen

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:35 pm

Leiter fan, buddy, I'm a huge Met fan too, but come on - Piazza is a terrible defensive catcher no matter how you try to spin in.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Leiter Fan » Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:36 pm

Yankee715 wrote:
When it comes to calling a game, blocking the plate from a runner headed for home, blocking wild pitches, and handling a pitching staff, Piazza is hugely better than I-Rod, Javy or Posada (or just about any other active player)!!!!

IMO Posado can call a game and handle pitchers better than any active player.

If you think that, you need to start watching some teams other than the Yankees.

He doesn't do a bad job. But its only recently that he hasn't been knocked for his POOR handling of a pitching staff.

Amongst active starting catchers, the ones I know of who are most well known for handling their pitching staffs well are Jason Veritek, Mike Piazza, Benito Santiago, Damien Miller and Mike Matheny (anyone else, feel free to add others I might have missed). Posada doesn't even break the top five.
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Leiter Fan » Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:38 pm

Anonymous wrote:Leiter fan, buddy, I'm a huge Met fan too, but come on - Piazza is a terrible defensive catcher no matter how you try to spin in.

Seriosuly, what can you point to BESIDES HIS POOR ABILITY AT THROWING OUT BASERUNNERS that makes him any less than an exceptional defensive catcher?

I concede that his throw out numbers are horrible, but saying that alone makes him a poor defensive catcher is like saying that Greg Maddux is a horrible pitcher because his pickoff move and ability to hold a runner on first are horrible (which, in fact, they are - but he is nevertheless a Hall of Fame pitcher!)
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yankee715 » Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:50 pm

Even if Piazza calls a good game throwing runers out is a big part of catching.
Yankee715
College Coach
College Coach

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Jul 26, 2003 11:44 pm

Anonymous wrote:Leiter fan, buddy, I'm a huge Met fan too, but come on - Piazza is a terrible defensive catcher no matter how you try to spin in.

Leiter is correct. Piazzas arm is his only shortcoming as a catcher. He blocks the plate as well as anyone, calls a good game. As good as hitters as Piazza, Lopez, Posada, Pudge are, they could throw out 10%, and still be worth much more then a gun who cant hit. SB are overrated, and a catchers throwing % isnt a big a factor as some make it out to be. Giambi was out btw.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 291)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Leiter Fan » Sat Jul 26, 2003 11:52 pm

Yankee715 wrote:Even if Piazza calls a good game throwing runers out is a big part of catching.

Funny, I always thought CATCHING was the biggest part of being a catcher - and Piazza is one of the best at it.

Once they change the position's name to the "throw-to-second-baser", then I'll concede Piazza doesn't meet the criteria.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 26, 2003 11:58 pm

Leiter Fan wrote:
Yankee715 wrote:Even if Piazza calls a good game throwing runers out is a big part of catching.

Funny, I always thought CATCHING was the biggest part of being a catcher - and Piazza is one of the best at it.

Once they change the position's name to the "throw-to-second-baser", then I'll concede Piazza doesn't meet the criteria.

he didn't say it was the biggest part, just a big part. i agree with it being an important part, but obviously not important enough to move someone from the c position if they have offensive skills and can catch also.

Postby blankman » Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:10 am

Anonymous wrote:he didn't say it was the biggest part, just a big part.

Jeez Leiter Fan, get a grip. Read more carefully before you make an *** of yourself again. This is at least the 2nd time in this topic that you've put words into people's mouth. Carry on with the ranting :-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:54 am

Leiter Fan, before you belittle me or my TiVo, get your facts straight. They've been showing the replay on SportsCenter all morning, highlighting the tag when Giambi's foot was not even close to the base. He was out by a mile, geez.

Look on ESPN Insider if you don't believe me - it's free this weekend. Read "On Posada's defense, Meche's health, more" in MLB Insider, where they say Posada's the best defensive catcher in the AL.

Postby blankman » Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:41 pm

Anonymous wrote:Look on ESPN Insider if you don't believe me - it's free this weekend. Read "On Posada's defense, Meche's health, more" in MLB Insider, where they say Posada's the best defensive catcher in the AL.

I looked through the MLB Insider site, but I can't seem to find the article. I typed the name of it in the search and got nothing. Someone please explain to me where you found it.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers