Posada's The Most Worthless Catcher I've Ever Seen - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Posada's The Most Worthless Catcher I've Ever Seen

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Posada's The Most Worthless Catcher I've Ever Seen

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:47 pm

He can't even throw out Jeremy Giambi. As soon as that happened, this game was friggin over. Damn Posada for not throwing out a guy with 0 steals in his career. Is that too much to freakin ask?

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby wrveres » Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:54 pm

Congratulations on your trade for Benitez. :-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:59 pm

If you look at the replay, he was clearly out, tagged six inches off the base. Another benefit of TiVo :)

Postby Leiter Fan » Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:09 pm

Anonymous wrote:If you look at the replay, he was clearly out, tagged six inches off the base. Another benefit of TiVo :)

Uh, it doesn't matter if the tag was six inches off the base if Giambi's FOOT was already on the bag when the tag happened.

If you think Giambi was out, you need glasses, or you're having a severe problem with your TiVo!!!
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:19 pm

Sorry, but Lo Duca sucks worse then Posada. This guy is a puny singles hitter.

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 26, 2003 9:39 pm

Leiter Fan, are you serious? They've been talking about it on the radio here all day since the game ended - and after repeadedly seeing the replay on TV, he was definitely out. Giambi's foot was at least 6 inches off the base when he was tagged...

Postby blankman » Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:07 pm

I didn't get to see the game, so I don't know whether he was out or not but Leiter Fan, sure seems jealous of the Yankees' success :-D (based on other posts along with this one)
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Yankee715 » Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:14 pm

And if you want to talk about bad defensive catchers Piazza has to be the worst of them all.
Yankee715
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Leiter Fan » Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:26 pm

Yankee715 wrote:And if you want to talk about bad defensive catchers Piazza has to be the worst of them all.

I'd rather have Piazza behind the plate for almost any purpose OTHER than throwing out baserunners!!! (Which unfortunately is the most visible part of defensive catching)

When it comes to calling a game, blocking the plate from a runner headed for home, blocking wild pitches, and handling a pitching staff, Piazza is hugely better than I-Rod, Javy or Posada (or just about any other active player)!!!! I-Rod falls asleep during pitcher/cacther meetings, has no idea what pitches his pitchers throw, and calls fastball after fastball after fastball with runners on just so he can inflate his throwout numbers. Posada has so many passed balls in a season, you would think he's afraid of the ball. And Javy is such a crappy defensive catcher that Maddux refuses to pitch to him and Glavine, while a Brave, only pitched to him under protest.

The only reason that it is now a good idea for Piazza to move to first is that catching is now starting to take its toll on Piazza and his offensive capabilities.

Obviously, Piazza's numbers at throwing out runners stealing second suck. But anyone who thinks this automatically means he's a crappy defensive catcher is an idiot who doesn't know baseball.
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Yankee715 » Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:29 pm

When it comes to calling a game, blocking the plate from a runner headed for home, blocking wild pitches, and handling a pitching staff, Piazza is hugely better than I-Rod, Javy or Posada (or just about any other active player)!!!!

IMO Posado can call a game and handle pitchers better than any active player.
Yankee715
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers