Analyzing your team using MS Excel - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Analyzing your team using MS Excel

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GrubNasty » Sat May 20, 2006 12:19 pm

what you might want to try is to use excels paste special....

for a roto league example go to your full standings screen, it has the two splits where its shows points on one and overal numbers below, your going to have to do this for both of them(if you want both), so go ahead and pick the overall stats first which is the bottom table of full standings

highlight from the bottom right to the top left of the teams, i skip over to top stat categories and insert them in excel myself just once, hit ctrl-c to copy, or you can right click and copy depends on how you like to do it...

now go into excel and click on one of the cells. after that go up to the top where it says edit, and then click on paste special, from there you have the option of html, text, or unicode, but select text

then you should have the data now in excel and your ready to start whatever manipulations you need

its not as hard as my directions make it, you should be able to do this after hearing about the paste special option from edit, but i thought id draw it out if anyones having any trouble....

i personally use this and build a spreadsheet and use my spreadsheet data and dump it into acces... and from there i have written this app in .net that graphs my yahoo leagues, which is cool cause it shows how fast your catching up to people and cats in roto.. if i get something stable up ill be posting to share with people...
GrubNasty
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby gostanford07 » Sat May 20, 2006 3:27 pm

Hobbes wrote:I do this and I just copy and paste the weekly H2H matchup results for all of the teams. I can then sort each week's data by each category to see where I fell compared to all twelve teams in each category. So even if I've won runs for the week against my opponent, I might be tenth overall compared to all teams.

It can certainly help show where your true weaknesses are in a H2H league where you normally only see how you compare to one opponent each week.

Does anyone have the time/energy to elaborate on this type of research? It would be invaluable for predicting upcoming weeks, etc, but unfortunately I'm not the fastest person with Excel. If someone would be willing to come up with a quick writeup, I would forever be indebted to them...
gostanford07
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chicago RedSox » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:14 pm

gostanford07 wrote:
Hobbes wrote:I do this and I just copy and paste the weekly H2H matchup results for all of the teams. I can then sort each week's data by each category to see where I fell compared to all twelve teams in each category. So even if I've won runs for the week against my opponent, I might be tenth overall compared to all teams.

It can certainly help show where your true weaknesses are in a H2H league where you normally only see how you compare to one opponent each week.

Does anyone have the time/energy to elaborate on this type of research? It would be invaluable for predicting upcoming weeks, etc, but unfortunately I'm not the fastest person with Excel. If someone would be willing to come up with a quick writeup, I would forever be indebted to them...

I'm happy to email you the spreadsheet I use. It doesn't compare my stats to the entire league for the week, but it does a good job of breaking down the h2h results
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:00 pm

This is the one area of fantasy baseball I need to get better at, particularly in the draft, as we don't use standard 5X5, so the yahoo rankings don't match how we score. I've always tried to wing it taking in to account OBP and Holds instinctively, but it'd be great to see it on the page.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:12 pm

johnsamo wrote:This is the one area of fantasy baseball I need to get better at, particularly in the draft, as we don't use standard 5X5, so the yahoo rankings don't match how we score. I've always tried to wing it taking in to account OBP and Holds instinctively, but it'd be great to see it on the page.

Honestly there's a better way for non-Excel people. Sign up for the free trial at Rotowire next year. They have a draft program based on value over replacement players. They let you enter your scoring system, number of teams and draft order. You can also change the projections if you don't like Rotowire's projections.

Once you fill it all in you can enter each person's draft pick during the draft and keep track of which remaining player has the most value over replacement.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby johnsamo » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:07 pm

Can you work this data with lefty vs. rightie splits? Because I have 3 awesome position player keepers (Pujols, Cabrera, Crawford), I like to weigh my early picks toward pitchers and rather than draft a stud hitter for the UT. and one of the OF slots, I like to platoon these 2 spot with 3 lefty batters who rake righties... It's a cheap way of getting good production from players that on the surface don't look all that impressive.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:27 pm

johnsamo wrote:Can you work this data with lefty vs. rightie splits? Because I have 3 awesome position player keepers (Pujols, Cabrera, Crawford), I like to weigh my early picks toward pitchers and rather than draft a stud hitter for the UT. and one of the OF slots, I like to platoon these 2 spot with 3 lefty batters who rake righties... It's a cheap way of getting good production from players that on the surface don't look all that impressive.

Hrm...not really although you could certainly alter your projections to bump up the player's value within the system. In fact that would work very well. You just make each players' projections in line with what you think you'll get out of them when platooning and tweak the projections until they get to the value over replacement that you're looking to get.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby hayseed » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:17 pm

thanks for the roto info. im currently 5th, 5th, 7th in my 10 team league in wins, saves, K's. thought i had a weak staff that might need some bolstering. after doing the rates, however, i see that im 1st, 1st, 2nd in those categories in innings per win/save/k ;-D
hayseed
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers