Lance Amrstrong - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Lance Amrstrong

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Lance Amrstrong

Postby CJT » Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:09 pm

If anyone has kids who "lookup" to baseball players, tell them the story of Lance Amrstrong. If you don't know the story yourself, get educated.

Lance is the definition of sportsmanship, pride, dedication and hero all rolled into one.
CJT

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Super GM » Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:43 pm

The guy had nut cancer and came back to win the Tour de France 4 times in a row. He just beat Jan Ullrich in the time trials today, so he's now on his way to claim his 5h victory in a row! The guy is just amazing! I have full respect for Lance Armstrong. He has my admiration! ;-D
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ballgame » Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:00 pm

I was lucky enough to grow up in the same city as he did (Plano, TX) and oftened marvelled at how he was the subject of so much derision among his peers, because he was so driven to become the best triathlete in the world (he was a triathlete back then).

Athletes should NOT be role models for kids. So few ever become professionals, and those few that are gifted enough to become one are generally so coddled that they have no clue how the rest of the world lives, thus poor lifestyle skills.

Having said that, if your kids are going to look up to an athlete as a role model, you cannot pick a better example of how to live your life than Lance Armstrong. He embodies what is great. Persverance, hard work, dedication. I hope he keeps winning them.
ballgame
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Nomar4prez » Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:28 pm

Personally, I would rather my kids look up to someone like David Robinson who is not only one of the best basketball players of our time, but also one of the best human beings.

...I'm not saying Lance isn't a great role model, but he doesn't speak publicly much(to my knowledge), and I haven't heard of him giving to charities. Again, I'm not saying Lance isnt a great role-model, but there are better ones.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby zEli173 » Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:19 am

Nomar4prez wrote:Personally, I would rather my kids look up to someone like David Robinson who is not only one of the best basketball players of our time, but also one of the best human beings.

...I'm not saying Lance isn't a great role model, but he doesn't speak publicly much(to my knowledge), and I haven't heard of him giving to charities. Again, I'm not saying Lance isnt a great role-model, but there are better ones.

Armstrong has a book out which I haven't read, but I did see a very thoughtful and eloquent interview he did on the Charlie Rose show.

Although I really know relatively little (for a guy who is one of the most remarkable athletes of our time) about Armstrong there are few people in sports who strike me as a better role model.

As for Robinson, I have all the respect in the world for him as a competetor and as a social activist, but there are those of us who do not relate to his Christian sensibilities.
zEli173
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Super GM » Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:07 am

He does a lot of charity stuff. He's donated so much money to cancer research and treatment for kids and stuff like that...
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Transmogrifier » Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:18 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:Personally, I would rather my kids look up to someone like David Robinson who is not only one of the best basketball players of our time, but also one of the best human beings.

Not to take anything away from David Robinson, but Lance had testicular cancer, that spread into his lungs AND his brain. He had less than a 50 percent chance to live. Have you seen the SportsCentury show on him? He's on his bike, training, while bald with a HUGE scar on his head. Unbelievable.

And, he gives tons of money and his time to charity. To wit:

http://www.laf.org/

If I have any hero, it's him.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Super GM » Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:22 pm

Amen Transmogrifier! He's been through some very hard times and managed to come back and win the tour 5 times in a row. And that after nearly dieing! He's my hero too!
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Lance...

Postby SombrioSport » Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:33 pm

But can he hit the curve ball?
"oooh that's deep!"
SombrioSport
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Nomar4prez » Sun Jul 27, 2003 2:22 pm

zEli173 wrote:

Armstrong has a book out which I haven't read, but I did see a very thoughtful and eloquent interview he did on the Charlie Rose show.

Although I really know relatively little (for a guy who is one of the most remarkable athletes of our time) about Armstrong there are few people in sports who strike me as a better role model.

As for Robinson, I have all the respect in the world for him as a competetor and as a social activist, but there are those of us who do not relate to his Christian sensibilities.

I'm not christian, nor do I care if he is. To me, that has little to do with what he does for his community. A person's religion is their personal matter and shouldn't determine what kind of person he is.

Again, Lance is an incredible athlete and human being, but his sport isn't well recognized in the U.S., and people don't truly understand how incredibly impossible it is to win 5 tour de france's. It's also hard to have a hero that you only get to see once a year.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Return to General Talk