PS3 Release Date & Price Announced - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

PS3 Release Date & Price Announced

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed May 10, 2006 2:39 pm

Yoda wrote:
I don't see how Sony AND Microsoft's business model for their video game systems is "flawed". The price will eventually come down as it always has in the past. Initial price of $600 which probably cost double that to manufacture and distribute might be too much for some people.

Nintendo is barely hanging on in the game. They are focusing mostly on kids while Sony and MS are dominating every age group.

the other thing to add is that more consumers are demanding high end systems. they want cutting edge systems that push the envelope. stuff like that will cost money. unfortunately (for sony, microsoft, etc.) it doesnt really fit kids into the equation in the short term. kids will have to stick with xbox/ps2 a little while longer. however, the demographics are changing. the 25-40 age group makes up something like 60% of the video game market, and the research shows that this age group is usually relatively wealthy.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DevilDriver » Wed May 10, 2006 3:20 pm

I'm sticking with my PS2...why would anyone spend so much money on a PS3?
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Yoda » Wed May 10, 2006 3:26 pm

DevilDriver wrote:I'm sticking with my PS2...why would anyone spend so much money on a PS3?

Me. Unlike xBox 360, games will be backwards compatible and also play HD movies. Considering xBox 360 is selling for appx the same amount of money, PS3 seems like a bargain to me.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed May 10, 2006 3:36 pm

ugh...all the talk about playing HD movies just makes me dread the pending Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD battle even more.

i'm staying far away from either technology until one is declared the winner, and even then, i have about 200 standard DVD's that i have no real desire to replace
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Phatferd » Wed May 10, 2006 3:46 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:ugh...all the talk about playing HD movies just makes me dread the pending Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD battle even more.

i'm staying far away from either technology until one is declared the winner, and even then, i have about 200 standard DVD's that i have no real desire to replace

I'm almost positive that Blue-Ray has won. It's about as official as it can be without being official. I think 7 of the 8 major studios are going the way of Blue-Ray.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Wed May 10, 2006 4:10 pm

Phatferd wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:ugh...all the talk about playing HD movies just makes me dread the pending Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD battle even more.

I'm almost positive that Blue-Ray has won. It's about as official as it can be without being official. I think 7 of the 8 major studios are going the way of Blue-Ray.

Yeah unless I'm missing something, the format that is being supported by the major movie producers is Blue Ray. No matter what, Microsoft won't have any control over this.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed May 10, 2006 4:28 pm

Phatferd wrote:

i hear a lot of people say blue-ray will win. in my opinion its still up in the air it its going to be a long drawn out battle.

each side has a few studios that will only put out movies in its format. universal is hd-dvd only and obviously sony pictures will only be blue-ray only. many of them will put out movies in both formats.

technically speaking, blue ray appears to be the superior product. its higher capacity and can afford the studios better security.

computer makers seem to be backing blue-ray because its higher capacity makes it more attractive.

so you'd think blue-ray is the leader? there is just one more major criteria though, and thats price. hd-dvd is cheaper because the manufacturing process is pretty close to dvd. and thats what makes the battle interesting. beta had superior quality to vhs but vhs was cheaper and that was a major factor in it winning that format battle.

i think this thing will take several years to sort out. there is still a huge portion of the population that isnt in any hurry to buy an hdtv. on top of that, many people are perfectly satisfied with the quality of dvds. no one wants to get burned in a format war. i think the masses are just going to sit on the sidelines and wait for everything to sort out, and that could take a while.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Yoda » Wed May 10, 2006 5:11 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:
Phatferd wrote:

i hear a lot of people say blue-ray will win. in my opinion its still up in the air it its going to be a long drawn out battle.

each side has a few studios that will only put out movies in its format. universal is hd-dvd only and obviously sony pictures will only be blue-ray only. many of them will put out movies in both formats.

technically speaking, blue ray appears to be the superior product. its higher capacity and can afford the studios better security.

computer makers seem to be backing blue-ray because its higher capacity makes it more attractive.

so you'd think blue-ray is the leader? there is just one more major criteria though, and thats price. hd-dvd is cheaper because the manufacturing process is pretty close to dvd. and thats what makes the battle interesting. beta had superior quality to vhs but vhs was cheaper and that was a major factor in it winning that format battle.

i think this thing will take several years to sort out. there is still a huge portion of the population that isnt in any hurry to buy an hdtv. on top of that, many people are perfectly satisfied with the quality of dvds. no one wants to get burned in a format war. i think the masses are just going to sit on the sidelines and wait for everything to sort out, and that could take a while.

That is why getting the Blue Ray with the PS3 is such a bonus (at a fraction of a Blue Ray player). I know I will buy the PS3 and I know I can watch movies in HD with the system in addition to playing great games.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby MMoNeY24 » Wed May 10, 2006 5:21 pm

I have a 360 already but will definitely be trying to get PS3 to sell. If it's that good, maybe I can afford to actually have one from profits, but we'll see. Halo 3 gives 360 the nod to me personally because I really wasn't hooked on any PS2 game like I was Halo 2 for Xbox. That said, PS3 should still be great either way.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby EnFuego » Wed May 10, 2006 6:47 pm

When I heard about the 600 price tag I was a little iffy whether or not to buy it. But after watching the MGS4 trailer...

8-o
EnFuego
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk