PS3 Release Date & Price Announced - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

PS3 Release Date & Price Announced

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

PS3 Release Date & Price Announced

Postby JTWood » Tue May 09, 2006 2:19 am

MSNBC.com wrote:Sony announces price, release date for PS3
Next-gen console to cost more than Xbox 360, but execs tout features
MSNBC News Services
Updated: 10:54 p.m. ET May 8, 2006

CULVER CITY, Calif. - Putting an end to months of speculation, Sony Corp. executives on Monday announced a release date and a price for the upcoming PlayStation 3, but gamers will have to pay a hefty price to take advantage of its much-touted technological innovation.

Sony said its next-generation game console would be released in North America and Europe on Nov. 17, in time for the key holiday shopping period. They had previously announced it would be released in the fall, without giving a specific date. Gamers in Japan will get a head start; the PS3 is to be released there on Nov. 11.

The console will come in two versions, one with a 20-gigabyte hard drive for $499 and one with a 60-gigabyte drive, for $599. The 20-gigabyte version will retail for 59,800 yen in Japan and 499 euros in Europe.

The new price tag means that the cheapest PS3 will sell for $100 more than its current top-of-the-line rival, Microsoft's Xbox 360, which was released last fall. Nintendo is also planning a new game console, the Wii, but has not announced pricing or a release date.

Sony executives said the PS3's technological features will give it an edge over its rivals, touting such features as the console's speedy “Cell” processor, Blu-ray disk format for high-definition video and an online network that will include video chat and micropayments.

They also showed off new PS3 games, including a demonstration high-definition version of the racing game “Grand Turismo” and the sword fighting action game “Heavenly Sword," and a new motion-sensitive wireless controller.

“We’re really trying to push what this machine is capable of,” said Phil Harrison, president of Sony Computer Entertainment’s Worldwide Studios.

The presentation came just two days before the start of the Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles, the video game industry’s largest annual conference.

Nintendo and Microsoft plan similar news conferences Tuesday. (MSNBC.com is a Microsoft - NBC joint venture.)

The Xbox 360 got an early start on the next-generation console wars and has sold 3.2 million units worldwide since it was released in November. But until recently, Microsoft has been unable to meet demand.

Sony officials said they would have 4 million PS3 units ready by the end of 2006 and another 6 million by March 31, 2007.
MSNBC.com's Denise Ono in Los Angeles, The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.

© 2006 MSNBC.com
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Tue May 09, 2006 2:23 am

considering the blue-ray players are selling for $1k this is a good deal. I will be waiting though.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JTWood » Tue May 09, 2006 2:28 am

I hadn't heard of this Blu-Ray stuff before. Sounds pretty cool:

Blu-ray, also known as Blu-ray Disc (BD), is the name of a next-generation optical disc format jointly developed by the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA), a group of the world's leading consumer electronics, personal computer and media manufacturers (including Apple, Dell, Hitachi, HP, JVC, LG, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, TDK and Thomson). The format was developed to enable recording, rewriting and playback of high-definition video (HD), as well as storing large amounts of data. The format offers more than five times the storage capacity of traditional DVDs and can hold up to 25GB on a single-layer disc and 50GB on a dual-layer disc. This extra capacity combined with the use of advanced video and audio codecs will offer consumers an unprecedented HD experience.

While current optical disc technologies such as DVD, DVD±R, DVD±RW, and DVD-RAM rely on a red laser to read and write data, the new format uses a blue-violet laser instead, hence the name Blu-ray. Despite the different type of lasers used, Blu-ray products can easily be made backwards compatible with CDs and DVDs through the use of a BD/DVD/CD compatible optical pickup unit. The benefit of using a blue-violet laser (405nm) is that it has a shorter wavelength than a red laser (650nm), which makes it possible to focus the laser spot with even greater precision. This allows data to be packed more tightly and stored in less space, so it's possible to fit more data on the disc even though it's the same size as a CD/DVD. This together with the change of numerical aperture to 0.85 is what enables Blu-ray Discs to hold 25GB/50GB.

Blu-ray is currently supported by more than 170 of the world's leading consumer electronics, personal computer, recording media, video game and music companies. The format also has broad support from the major movie studios as a successor to today's DVD format. Seven of the eight major movie studios have already announced titles for Blu-ray, including Warner, Paramount, Fox, Disney, Sony, MGM and Lionsgate. The initial line-up is expected to consist of over 100 titles and include recent hits as well as classics such as Batman Begins, Desperado, Fantastic Four, Fifth Element, Hero, Ice Age, Kill Bill, Lethal Weapon, Mission Impossible, Ocean's Twelve, Pirates of the Caribbean, Reservoir Dogs, Robocop, and The Matrix. Many studios have also announced that they will begin releasing new feature films on Blu-ray Disc day-and-date with DVD, as well as a continuous slate of catalog titles every month.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby theclefe » Tue May 09, 2006 6:34 am

I have been waiting a while for this. I should be getting home right about then too. Horray.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby baseball6791 » Wed May 10, 2006 12:22 am

I'm going to buy at least 2 on pre-order, keep one of the for myself and sell the others to some rich daddy buying one for his spoiled kid at christmas and make back most (if not all) the money I payed for all of them combined :-)

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby tuff_gong » Wed May 10, 2006 12:34 am

Hmm...that is a TON of money for a game console, I may buy one, and sell it on Ebay. Then if I make enough in profit, I could buy another one for myself?

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Another Blown Save » Wed May 10, 2006 12:47 am

thanks for the info.
I need to make some money this summer so I can sell 'em on ebay :-D
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby luckygehrig » Wed May 10, 2006 2:10 am

I'm definitely getting at least one of these things to put on ebay. The XBOX 360's were going for insane amounts on there and I imagine this will be the same, but with even more money to be made.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Wed May 10, 2006 3:02 am

:-P

gimmie wii.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby JTWood » Wed May 10, 2006 8:32 am

luckygehrig wrote:I'm definitely getting at least one of these things to put on ebay. The XBOX 360's were going for insane amounts on there and I imagine this will be the same, but with even more money to be made.

Am I the only one who feels that doing stuff like this is morally wrong? I mean, legally, go ahead. Nothing's stopping you. But if I did this, I would feel really wrong for doing it. It's like companies that buy lots of tickets to baseball games only to turn around and sell them for a huge markup. It just doesn't seem like it's something I could feel good about later.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk