Jury Duty - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Jury Duty

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jury Duty

Postby DieHardCubbie » Mon May 08, 2006 8:41 pm

I have jury duty coming up in a few days...This is actually the fourth time that I have been called for...I really don't mind serving, and somewhat feel that it is my responsibility to serve...

I remember one of the times I served in the past, we were all in the jury box and the lawyers were asking us questions....The defense council asked if we knew any of the lawyers, council or any one associated with the case...One of the potential jurors, who looked like he just walked in from a trailer park or last nights episode of COPs, said that the District Attorney was a cousin of his and he really didn't think he could be non-biased....the Judge promptly asked him if he knew the DA was African-American...which the guy responded that he was not aware of that...he was quickly dismissed... :-b

Anyway....Just wondering if any of you have ever had to serve...and if you have any interesting stories... :-?
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jury Duty

Postby knapplc » Mon May 08, 2006 10:17 pm

I've only been called one time and that was like twelve years ago. I didn't get picked and I left in the morning. It was really uneventful.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Wed May 10, 2006 9:58 am

Madison wrote:I've been tossed from jury duty twice. :-b

The first time because they asked me if I knew the defendant, or had any prejudice against him. He was sitting at a table with a headset on. After they asked me the question, I asked what the headset was for (He was hispanic, so I already had an idea what it was for). They told me it was hooked up to a translator. Surprised ;-7 , I asked if he could speak and understand English and when they said "No", I told them that anyone in this country should be able to speak, read, and understand English. They told me to have a nice day. :-D

The second time, we were in the courtroom and divided up into 3 groups. One of the lawyers came up and asked the group on the left if they agreed with the following:

"According to the law, if you come home and someone is robbing you, your responsibility is to go to the nearest phone and call the police. Does anyone disagree?"

No one in the first group disagreed. He asked the same to the middle group and no one disagreed. He came to our group and I raised my hand and said I disagreed. He asked me to stand up, so I did. He asked why I disagreed and I told him that it was my home. My property. If I come home and someone is robbing me, then that person is at my disposal. I can shoot, stab, kill, or whatever I want to do to that person. It's my property he's on and my possessions he's trying to steal.

The lawyer had a bewildered look on his face and asked me what would happen if I tried to shoot the burglar and I missed and the bullet went through the window and into my neighbor's house and killed an infant. I replied that I would be arrested and in court with a murder charge hanging over me.

He was totally stunned. Before he could say anything else, 4 or 5 guys stood up and said they agreed with me. The judge called the lawyer over and they dismissed those of us who were standing. :-D

That's my two jury duty visits. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed May 10, 2006 10:20 am

Madison wrote:
Madison wrote:I've been tossed from jury duty twice. :-b

The first time because they asked me if I knew the defendant, or had any prejudice against him. He was sitting at a table with a headset on. After they asked me the question, I asked what the headset was for (He was hispanic, so I already had an idea what it was for). They told me it was hooked up to a translator. Surprised ;-7 , I asked if he could speak and understand English and when they said "No", I told them that anyone in this country should be able to speak, read, and understand English. They told me to have a nice day. :-D

The second time, we were in the courtroom and divided up into 3 groups. One of the lawyers came up and asked the group on the left if they agreed with the following:

"According to the law, if you come home and someone is robbing you, your responsibility is to go to the nearest phone and call the police. Does anyone disagree?"

No one in the first group disagreed. He asked the same to the middle group and no one disagreed. He came to our group and I raised my hand and said I disagreed. He asked me to stand up, so I did. He asked why I disagreed and I told him that it was my home. My property. If I come home and someone is robbing me, then that person is at my disposal. I can shoot, stab, kill, or whatever I want to do to that person. It's my property he's on and my possessions he's trying to steal.

The lawyer had a bewildered look on his face and asked me what would happen if I tried to shoot the burglar and I missed and the bullet went through the window and into my neighbor's house and killed an infant. I replied that I would be arrested and in court with a murder charge hanging over me.

He was totally stunned. Before he could say anything else, 4 or 5 guys stood up and said they agreed with me. The judge called the lawyer over and they dismissed those of us who were standing. :-D

That's my two jury duty visits. B-)

...and the moral of the story is "Dont mess with Texas"
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby ironman » Wed May 10, 2006 11:39 am

In the last year I've gotten two jury summons. Both of which I never had to serve. In fact I didn't even have to go to the courthouse. God bless automated phone messages. B-)
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed May 10, 2006 11:59 am

I have been lucky over my years and never had to serve as a juror, but my poor wife has been called twice now in the last 3 months, including this week. She got out of the first one due to once being a nurse and the case was about a doctors mistake in the hospital. She was not as lucky this week with jury duty and has been there for the 3rd day in a row now.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RugbyD » Wed May 10, 2006 12:11 pm

i was called twice over a span of 3 years while i was away at school and therefore exempt. I've been out for over 4 years and haven't heard anything. i guess i'm due......
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Madison » Wed May 10, 2006 12:17 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:my poor wife has been called twice now in the last 3 months, including this week. She got out of the first one due to once being a nurse

Your wife's a nurse? O:-)

Does she have one of those little nurse's outfits? O:-)

Hehehe. Just messing with you. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Fireball Express » Wed May 10, 2006 12:54 pm

Mad, I was waiting for you to tell us the death penalty story again.

I was called for jury duty last year. I was then selected to be in the next group. The case was a wrongful death suit stemming from a car accident. I told the lawyers that if the dead guy was even 1% at fault he should be rewarded nothing. I then proceeded to tell them that law suits are out of hand and that there should be a cap on all suits. I was asked to leave.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Wed May 10, 2006 12:59 pm

Fireball Express wrote:Mad, I was waiting for you to tell us the death penalty story again.

I was called for jury duty last year. I was then selected to be in the next group. The case was a wrongful death suit stemming from a car accident. I told the lawyers that if the dead guy was even 1% at fault he should be rewarded nothing. I then proceeded to tell them that law suits are out of hand and that there should be a cap on all suits. I was asked to leave.

Which death penalty story was that? :-) I'm sure I'd be happy to tell it again. :-D

As to your jury duty visit, you shouldn't reward a dead guy anything ;-D . Not even sure that's possible. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to General Talk