Annyone who thinks their fantasy team can't win it all? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Annyone who thinks their fantasy team can't win it all?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RynMan » Mon May 08, 2006 8:30 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:I have a team that I would be completely shocked if it won the league I'm in.

I would be completely shocked if I won a head to head league period, regardless of the team I have. You just have to cool down for one week and your season is over. :-[
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon May 08, 2006 8:41 pm

RynMan wrote:
The Loveable Losers wrote:I have a team that I would be completely shocked if it won the league I'm in.

I would be completely shocked if I won a head to head league period, regardless of the team I have. You just have to cool down for one week and your season is over. :-[

Ain't that the truth! I normally avoid h2h leagues for that reason but with this being a keeper league with a bunch of active guys it makes it worth the time even if you end up losing due to a bad week.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon May 08, 2006 8:57 pm

sharksfan1139 wrote:i think thats a pretty good team considering you kept 6 and then didnt have a pick until the 8th round...your farm team looks really good too. good job ;-D

Yeah, I traded Mulder for Utley (GETTING a pick upgrade), traded picks for Rollins and VERY good picks for Crawford. I think I paid something like a 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 7th to get Rollins and Crawford. The team was already lacking its 1st rounder when I took it over. Finally I traded the 4th and 6th round picks for prospect draft picks.

The best part is that I've already sold off Fernando Rodney (drafted him) and Ambiorix Burgos (grabbed as a FA) for picks next year. Along with the Rolen for picks trade my 2007 draft has 2 first, 2 fourth, 2 sixth, 2 seventh and 2 eighth round picks with my worst pick being in the tenth round. I also have 3 first round prospect picks, 2 second round prospect picks and a 5th round prospect pick.

Hopefully I can upgrade the draft even more between now and then. When you're not playing for the current year it makes it a lot easier to upgrade things for the future.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby The Guru » Mon May 08, 2006 9:13 pm

I don't think I can win my league without trading for a big bat. The problem is my league is very trade shy. I had injuries to D-Lee, Harden, Brian Roberts. Right now I'm currently middle of the pack. I'm #1 in ERA, WHIP which is carrying my total points. Here's my squad.

Roster: 5X5 Roto 10 teams

Hitters:
1B - Nevin
2B - B. Philips
SS - Furcal
3B - A-RAM
C - Hernandez
OF - Crawford, Beltran, Tracy
Util - Gibbons

Bench - 2B - Roberts(DL), Huff

Pitchers:
SP - Escobar
SP - Smoltz
RP - Nathan
RP - Gordon
P - Gonzo
P - Reitsma
P - Otsuka

Bench:
P - Bonderman
P - Haren
P - Harden(DL)

DL - D.Lee
(^) (o) - "Let's Hug it out"
The Guru
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MashinSpuds » Mon May 08, 2006 9:13 pm

Tavish wrote:
MashinSpuds wrote:With my pitchers continuing to get nuked in all fashions, I'm very pessimistic about my 1st keeper league roto team. Is there a way to recover a last place ERA/WHIP/Saves situation when you're already into May? I can't see how one can do so by giving away one's threadbare offense. Borderline last place, I think my team is gutterbound.

So yes, I'm pretty sure I've already picked the wrong cards to win with. I might try to trade up for better keepers for next year..

Punt wins and go for top flight MRs.

Thanks Tavish for the advice.. it'll still be tough to recoup, but worth looking into..

I like the trading for picks idea. Another option when things look even grimmer..
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 110)

Postby Niffoc4 » Mon May 08, 2006 9:19 pm

Yeah, In my 20-team 7x7 roto league I am pretty sure I am out of it (again). I am not sure when the league was started, but it definitely started out at 15 or less, but my team was the 17th, and expansion rules make it quite difficult to climb out of a hole (i.e. we keep 10 and 2 rookies each year, and an expansion team gets to take only 5 guys as his keepers, and he picks those from the WW after everyone else has picked their keepers)... and some of the guys have made some great picks... I am hoping for next year, though I want to make it into the top half this year (and upgrade my keepers).
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby AKhomebrewer » Tue May 09, 2006 1:53 am

RynMan wrote:

Aye, brother. I'll never forget my infamous '03 season with its perfect draft and health (only three transactions all year). Ran away with the league by 20+ games in the regular season. In the semis I had a below-average week and my opponent went '27 Yankees on me.
Game over.
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Tue May 09, 2006 7:39 am

AKhomebrewer wrote:
RynMan wrote:

Aye, brother. I'll never forget my infamous '03 season with its perfect draft and health (only three transactions all year). Ran away with the league by 20+ games in the regular season. In the semis I had a below-average week and my opponent went '27 Yankees on me.
Game over.

Why I don't like H2H right there.

As to the thread, I'm actually in 3rd right now, but do not feel good at all. My main problem is that I'm sort of stuck where I am in that for me to move up, I have to do so in categories that gaps have opened up. And I'm not sure I have the players in those categories to close those gaps. Now, barely 5+ weeks in, I'm not writing off the season since almost 21 weeks are left, but either my players need to start performing as I expect or my opponents need to cool down (1 guy had 20 HR last week which may the highest I've ever seen for 1 week in our AL only league) or both.

Anyway, plenty of trades that can be made, so there's hope. But in a keeper league, I'm not planning on crippling my 2007 chances unless I think I have a better chance this year to win. Won't know that until another 5 or so weeks.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby thomasps3 » Tue May 09, 2006 9:45 am

Well, funnily enough, in the AL only $$ league In, I paid $50 for Carl Crawford in the hopes he would go .300/20 HR/90 RBI/50 SBs/95 Rs. At this juncture I am in 3rd place and I think I have an outside chance to win it, depending on who gets traded to the AL...lat year Placindo Polanco went for $26 when he was traded to DET and the owner ended up winning by 2 points b/c of Polanco's .331 average...ugh
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby Cooner » Tue May 09, 2006 10:00 am

cordscords wrote:

It's a 14 team 5x5 h2h keeper league I took over after the 2005 season ended. It was a real stinker and I traded away picks in 2006 to improve my keeper list. I also traded MORE picks to get picks in our first prospect draft. We keep 6 players each year and can keep all of our prospects as well as long as they don't go over 130ab/50ip by mid-August.

Long story short I ended up with ZERO picks until the 8th round of our 15 round redraft. I also had 9 picks (instead of the standard 5) in our prospect draft. I went with a MR strategy (trying to win only era/whip out of the pitching categories) and was trying to get position players that had good r/sb/ave but most of those guys have been dumped as I've picked up good all-around but slumping players that other teams have discarded. I also traded Scott Rolen away for a 1st and 7th pick next year since he didn't fit into the long-term plans.

Here's the team:
C P. Lo Duca (NYM - C)
1B A. Pujols (StL - 1B)
2B C. Utley (Phi - 1B,2B)
3B J. Crede (CWS - 3B)
SS J. Rollins (Phi - SS)
OF C. Crawford (TB - OF)
OF R. Ibañez (Sea - OF)
OF C. Granderson (Det - OF)
Util C. Jackson (Ari - 1B)
BN P. Nevin (Tex - 1B)
BN E. Marrero (Col - 1B,OF)
BN D. Roberts (SD - OF)
BN K. Lofton (LAD - OF)
BN J. Hardy (Mil - SS)

SP A. Heilman (NYM - SP,RP)
SP C. Carpenter (StL - SP)
RP S. Shields (LAA - RP)
RP R. Soriano (Sea - RP)
P J. Duchscherer (Oak - RP)
P S. Linebrink (SD - RP)
P J. Rincón (Min - RP)
DL M. MacDougal (KC - RP) DL

I'm in third place right now only 2 games back of first but I have no doubt that this team is middle of the road at best.

Edit: Forgot to list the farm team - Justin Upton, Lastings Milledge, Alex Gordon, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Andy LaRoche, Troy Tulowitzki and Daisuke Matsuzaka. I had Howie Kendrick but with Utley blocking him on my roster traded him for a 1st, 2nd and 5th round prospect pick next year.

Well you are definitley making the right moves ;-D

As for winning the league if you are buried at this point, yes it's entirely possible. But quite difficult. Watch for cheap saves, good WW starters, offer crappy trades and hope somebody bites, etc.

agreed... I'd say you're probably in pretty darn good shape. Obviously your pitching is a little hurting, but I'd think you have a shot at it this year with that hitting. In a 14 teamer, that's solid.

I had a dynasty league last year where the draft went a little funny, and I ended up taking a lot of guys I didn't know a lot about. Sure enough, it backfired, losing Bonds, Thome, Carlos Guillen, Chipper Jones, Magglio Ordonez, and more to injuries. I knew I was out of it by this time last year.

This year I'm doing a bit better... first in the league so far. That's a great big "so far" though... I'm still not that excited about my team.
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers