Annyone who thinks their fantasy team can't win it all? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Annyone who thinks their fantasy team can't win it all?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Annyone who thinks their fantasy team can't win it all?

Postby pokeyjoe » Mon May 08, 2006 5:43 pm

(This is not a rate my team thread) Everyone seems to think their fantasy team will do well, even if others disagree and their not doing well so far. For example, my team is 8th out of 10 now, but I think I have a legitimate chance of going all the way. Anyway, is their anybody who thinks their team has no chance of winning their league?
pokeyjoe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GreenFish » Mon May 08, 2006 5:53 pm

I am in 4 leagues. In three of them I like my chances but in one I do not have a good feeling about it. I could have some underperforming players turn it around and give me a chance but so far it is not looking good. I wouldn't say there is no hope but lets just say I am glad it is not a money league.
If you believe everything you read, better not read.
Japanese Proverb
GreenFish
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon May 08, 2006 5:58 pm

I have a team that I would be completely shocked if it won the league I'm in.

It's a 14 team 5x5 h2h keeper league I took over after the 2005 season ended. It was a real stinker and I traded away picks in 2006 to improve my keeper list. I also traded MORE picks to get picks in our first prospect draft. We keep 6 players each year and can keep all of our prospects as well as long as they don't go over 130ab/50ip by mid-August.

Long story short I ended up with ZERO picks until the 8th round of our 15 round redraft. I also had 9 picks (instead of the standard 5) in our prospect draft. I went with a MR strategy (trying to win only era/whip out of the pitching categories) and was trying to get position players that had good r/sb/ave but most of those guys have been dumped as I've picked up good all-around but slumping players that other teams have discarded. I also traded Scott Rolen away for a 1st and 7th pick next year since he didn't fit into the long-term plans.

Here's the team:
C P. Lo Duca (NYM - C)
1B A. Pujols (StL - 1B)
2B C. Utley (Phi - 1B,2B)
3B J. Crede (CWS - 3B)
SS J. Rollins (Phi - SS)
OF C. Crawford (TB - OF)
OF R. Ibañez (Sea - OF)
OF C. Granderson (Det - OF)
Util C. Jackson (Ari - 1B)
BN P. Nevin (Tex - 1B)
BN E. Marrero (Col - 1B,OF)
BN D. Roberts (SD - OF)
BN K. Lofton (LAD - OF)
BN J. Hardy (Mil - SS)

SP A. Heilman (NYM - SP,RP)
SP C. Carpenter (StL - SP)
RP S. Shields (LAA - RP)
RP R. Soriano (Sea - RP)
P J. Duchscherer (Oak - RP)
P S. Linebrink (SD - RP)
P J. Rincón (Min - RP)
DL M. MacDougal (KC - RP) DL

I'm in third place right now only 2 games back of first but I have no doubt that this team is middle of the road at best.

Edit: Forgot to list the farm team - Justin Upton, Lastings Milledge, Alex Gordon, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Andy LaRoche, Troy Tulowitzki and Daisuke Matsuzaka. I had Howie Kendrick but with Utley blocking him on my roster traded him for a 1st, 2nd and 5th round prospect pick next year.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby cordscords » Mon May 08, 2006 6:15 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:I have a team that I would be completely shocked if it won the league I'm in.

It's a 14 team 5x5 h2h keeper league I took over after the 2005 season ended. It was a real stinker and I traded away picks in 2006 to improve my keeper list. I also traded MORE picks to get picks in our first prospect draft. We keep 6 players each year and can keep all of our prospects as well as long as they don't go over 130ab/50ip by mid-August.

Long story short I ended up with ZERO picks until the 8th round of our 15 round redraft. I also had 9 picks (instead of the standard 5) in our prospect draft. I went with a MR strategy (trying to win only era/whip out of the pitching categories) and was trying to get position players that had good r/sb/ave but most of those guys have been dumped as I've picked up good all-around but slumping players that other teams have discarded. I also traded Scott Rolen away for a 1st and 7th pick next year since he didn't fit into the long-term plans.

Here's the team:
C P. Lo Duca (NYM - C)
1B A. Pujols (StL - 1B)
3B J. Crede (CWS - 3B)
SS J. Rollins (Phi - SS)
OF C. Crawford (TB - OF)
OF R. Ibañez (Sea - OF)
BN P. Nevin (Tex - 1B)
BN D. Roberts (SD - OF)
BN K. Lofton (LAD - OF)
BN J. Hardy (Mil - SS)

RP S. Shields (LAA - RP)
RP R. Soriano (Sea - RP)
P S. Linebrink (SD - RP)
P J. Rincón (Min - RP)

I'm in third place right now only 2 games back of first but I have no doubt that this team is middle of the road at best.

Edit: Forgot to list the farm team - Justin Upton, Lastings Milledge, Alex Gordon, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Andy LaRoche, Troy Tulowitzki and Daisuke Matsuzaka. I had Howie Kendrick but with Utley blocking him on my roster traded him for a 1st, 2nd and 5th round prospect pick next year.

Well you are definitley making the right moves ;-D

As for winning the league if you are buried at this point, yes it's entirely possible. But quite difficult. Watch for cheap saves, good WW starters, offer crappy trades and hope somebody bites, etc.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Thursday » Mon May 08, 2006 6:41 pm

One week ago, i would have told you that my primary league team had no chance. Now, i'm feeling a smidgen better about them. But the problem is, i went entirely too young:

12-team, H2H, 6x6 league (R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG., OPS. for hitters, and W, SV, K, Holds, ERA, WHIP for pitchers).

Keeper league, we keep 4:

C - Michael Barrett
1B - Ryan Howard
2B - Chase Utley
3B - Hank Blalock
SS - Felipe López
OF - Jason Bay
OF - Grady Sizemore
OF - Matt Holliday
Util - Prince Fielder
Bench - Bill Hall
Bench - Aubrey Huff

SP - Felix Hernández, Josh Beckett, Jeremy Bonderman, Scott Kazmir, Dave Bush
RP - Bob Wickman, Mike González, Jon Papelbon, Akinori Otsuka
Holds guys - Duaner Sánchez, Joel Zumaya

I'm in 5th, thanks to a 12-0 sweep of my opponent last week. But watching my pitching staff struggle day after day after day, i begin to think that maybe it isn't my year, and next year, don't depend on young pitchers, or hitters for that matter. I actually recently cut ties with Matt Cain... what a mistake. :-P
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nsulham » Mon May 08, 2006 6:54 pm

I have my doubts. I've won this league all 3 years we've had it thus far but this season is a TOTALLY different story. As of right now I find myself 10th out of 10, 20 games back of first.

A rash of injuries (D-Lee, Sheets, B-Rob) and slooow starts (Kent, Edmonds, Bonds, A-Rod, Rollins) have contributed to my demise. I still think I have enough talent to get back into it but 20 games is 20 games :-o
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby MashinSpuds » Mon May 08, 2006 7:14 pm

With my pitchers continuing to get nuked in all fashions, I'm very pessimistic about my 1st keeper league roto team. Is there a way to recover a last place ERA/WHIP/Saves situation when you're already into May? I can't see how one can do so by giving away one's threadbare offense. Borderline last place, I think my team is gutterbound.

So yes, I'm pretty sure I've already picked the wrong cards to win with. I might try to trade up for better keepers for next year..
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby Tavish » Mon May 08, 2006 7:20 pm

MashinSpuds wrote:With my pitchers continuing to get nuked in all fashions, I'm very pessimistic about my 1st keeper league roto team. Is there a way to recover a last place ERA/WHIP/Saves situation when you're already into May? I can't see how one can do so by giving away one's threadbare offense. Borderline last place, I think my team is gutterbound.

So yes, I'm pretty sure I've already picked the wrong cards to win with. I might try to trade up for better keepers for next year..

Punt wins and go for top flight MRs.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby sharksfan1139 » Mon May 08, 2006 8:20 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:I have a team that I would be completely shocked if it won the league I'm in.

Here's the team:
C P. Lo Duca (NYM - C)
1B A. Pujols (StL - 1B)
3B J. Crede (CWS - 3B)
SS J. Rollins (Phi - SS)
OF C. Crawford (TB - OF)
OF R. Ibañez (Sea - OF)
BN P. Nevin (Tex - 1B)
BN D. Roberts (SD - OF)
BN K. Lofton (LAD - OF)
BN J. Hardy (Mil - SS)

RP S. Shields (LAA - RP)
RP R. Soriano (Sea - RP)
P S. Linebrink (SD - RP)
P J. Rincón (Min - RP)

i think thats a pretty good team considering you kept 6 and then didnt have a pick until the 8th round...your farm team looks really good too. good job ;-D

sharksfan1139
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon May 08, 2006 8:26 pm

nsulham wrote:I have my doubts. I've won this league all 3 years we've had it thus far but this season is a TOTALLY different story. As of right now I find myself 10th out of 10, 20 games back of first.

A rash of injuries (D-Lee, Sheets, B-Rob) and slooow starts (Kent, Edmonds, Bonds, A-Rod, Rollins) have contributed to my demise. I still think I have enough talent to get back into it but 20 games is 20 games :-o

Yeah, that brings up an interesting issue. Anyone that took DLee in round 1 may not be out of things but it certainly doesn't help one bit to have your #1 draft pick break an arm less than a month into the season and be out for 6-8 weeks at a minimum. While injuries don't destroy your chances they can certainly make it almost impossible to come back.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers