Closer for 1 Week vs. 1 Start Pitcher - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Closer for 1 Week vs. 1 Start Pitcher

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Closer for 1 Week vs. 1 Start Pitcher

Postby AT » Mon May 08, 2006 11:48 am

I'm sure I'm not the first to throw this debate out there, but if you're in a Weekly Moves league (ala CBS), does it pay to use an unnecessary closer (Who's good) over a 1-start pitcher (Who's average)?

I'm not asking for you to give me a "Who do I start" answer here, just a general theory and your reasoning.

Here's the situation to be more precise:
Every Win Counts and you can gain a couple points with a couple.
You've got a healthy lead in Saves.
You've got 5 quality closers while noone starts more than 3.
(Papelbon, Jenks, Valverde, Street, Otsuka to be exact)
ERA and WHIP are a dogfight.
K/IP is a category.
You have almost all bigtime strikeout pitchers as starters, and relievers.

My question is, do you go with the good closers, ride the K/IP, hope they give you WHIP/ERA as well, dominate Saves since it's Roto then sell em off midseason, maybe hope for a vulture W, and hope they strike out their share for the week
-or-
Go with a 1-Start Pitcher (Who's pretty average, or below average) instead and try to get a gem performance and W, and risk him getting bombed?
-or-
Go with a Borderline Awful 2-Start pitcher?

I'm starting to feel like the rule of thumb should be, start your aces no matter what, start your good 2-Start pitchers, start your average 2-Start pitchers with good matchups, but avoid average 1-start pitchers and go with the above average closer.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Closer for 1 Week vs. 1 Start Pitcher

Postby nuggets » Mon May 08, 2006 12:01 pm

AT wrote:I'm starting to feel like the rule of thumb should be, start your aces no matter what, start your good 2-Start pitchers, start your average 2-Start pitchers with good matchups, but avoid average 1-start pitchers and go with the above average closer.

I really depends on the set up man/closer, where he's pitching and vs. who for myself. Generally I try to use as many good RP as possible and follow those guidelines you mention. I've been getting an extra edge by drafting Shields the last 2 years, but this year they caught on. (damn baseball monster)
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Closer for 1 Week vs. 1 Start Pitcher

Postby AT » Mon May 08, 2006 12:27 pm

nuggets wrote:
AT wrote:I'm starting to feel like the rule of thumb should be, start your aces no matter what, start your good 2-Start pitchers, start your average 2-Start pitchers with good matchups, but avoid average 1-start pitchers and go with the above average closer.

I really depends on the set up man/closer, where he's pitching and vs. who for myself. Generally I try to use as many good RP as possible and follow those guidelines you mention. I've been getting an extra edge by drafting Shields the last 2 years, but this year they caught on. (damn baseball monster)

Why don't we use the following situation as a guideline/thumbnail just for discussion purposes:

9 Active Pitching Spots
Juan Cruz @ PIT
Doug Davis @ SD, NYM
Aaron Harang WAS
Felix Hernandez TB
Mike Mussina BOS
Justin Verlander @ BAL
--------------------------------
Bobby Jenks 3 ANA, 3 @MIN
Jon Papelbon 3 @NYY, 3 TEX
Jose Valverde 3 @PIT, 3 @STL
Huston Street 3 @TOR, 3 @NYY
Akinori Otsuka 3 MIN, 3 @BOS

Now obviously you go with the above average starter with 2 starts (Davis), then you go with the dominant guys with 1 start (Mussina/Harang), but how do you decide on the other 6?

6 Pitching Categories, with K/IP the 6th (Clearly helping RPs).

Where do you get the most bang for your buck? The average 1-Start Pitcher like a Cruz or Verlander? or a Street or Otsuka?

Can a Closer like those guys, get you as many Ks and as good a K/IP-ERA-WHIP plus potential for a Vulture W in their 1 week of 6 Games vs. a Starter on their 1 start?
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Grouperman941 » Mon May 08, 2006 3:11 pm

In the above case, I'd go with the starter since you need wins, unless the matchup is not favorable.

In my weekly, I try and get 6 starts. After that, I like to use closers because they are likely to have better ratios than average SPs. The only time I don't is if I am behind where I want to be in Ws -- then I go with a Set-up guy or an SP with a favorable match-up.

(I get SPs with high k/9 so that 6 starts is enough to keep pace in Ks.)
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Baseball Leftovers