Shields + Linebrink = 1 Ace? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Shields + Linebrink = 1 Ace?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Jury » Mon May 08, 2006 10:49 am

nuggets wrote:Assuming a RP pitches an equal amount of IP at constant rate every week, why isn't he as good for H2H?

Because that assumption isn't often true.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jvmillion83 » Mon May 08, 2006 10:57 am

Wins are tough to figure out. My suggestion is to use Padres and Dodger relievers at home against avg-below avg hitting teams. Those games usually end up to be 1-1 games going into the 9th. How many times have we seen already this year the Padres and their opponent put up a scoreless game through 6 innings at Petco.
jvmillion83
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rainman23 » Mon May 08, 2006 12:18 pm

The Jury wrote:
nuggets wrote:Assuming a RP pitches an equal amount of IP at constant rate every week, why isn't he as good for H2H?

Because that assumption isn't often true.

Obviously there'll be some variation week-to-week. Just like there is with starters. On the whole, though, I'm not sure you couldn't expect steadier production spreading the innings over two middle relievers. You're not going to have any equivalent to the "two start week" that you get for starters. You're going to be out there 2-3 times every week. I'm mainly talking about K's and a positive impact on your ratios here. Wins are such a crap shoot, starters or relievers. Who knows when these will ever fall into your lap...
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bselig » Mon May 08, 2006 12:50 pm

Does anyone know if relievers average less or more Wins per innings pitched than do starters?
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby great gretzky » Mon May 08, 2006 1:23 pm

i think it is useful. We play three category hitters all the time like jones and sexson. You have to look at it as an "Ace" who never wins. You will probably get 8 or so wins, with excellent k's whip and erc, its worthwhile in my opinion, and I do it a lot.

The only really major problem I have with it is not the bench spot. considering the investment to do this is low in terms of draft position, I think the value of it is outweighed by the roster spot. Think of how many wasted bench spots you really use on some OF or something.

The problem with it from my experience is that other than sheilds and a few guys, the mr guys fulcutate it seems to me. The math adds up at the end of the season. IF two relievers in terms of IP are the same as one starter, they clearly help you--jnust figuring out who those two MR you should have been using is the rub.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby fsuwharf » Mon May 08, 2006 1:59 pm

top 4 MR are?
fsuwharf
College Coach
College Coach

Postby great gretzky » Mon May 08, 2006 2:25 pm

you know, I forgot to bring this up. I have been using sanchez and heilman from the mets in yahoo this year. While not as great as some other combos, it works out pretty well if one of them has the SP availability too. so we have four RP slots, and I have three closers. I use the fourth spot for sanchez and then have heilman too. I like that configuration.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby fsuwharf » Mon May 08, 2006 2:30 pm

duch and shields a good combo? shields/linebrink? what would you recommend?
fsuwharf
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers