Shields + Linebrink = 1 Ace? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Shields + Linebrink = 1 Ace?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Shields + Linebrink = 1 Ace?

Postby stlcardsfan » Sun May 07, 2006 6:42 pm

I have Shields and I'm thinking of picking up Linebrink. I'm sure someone has thought of this before, but how come no one ever uses 2 top middle relievers like Linebrink and Scott Shields in place of an ace? Looking at their stats over the past year or two, if you combine them you have someone with about 160 IP, 160 K, 15-16 W a sub 3 ERA and WHIP around 1.10, plus you may get a handful of saves too. That's about as much as you can ask for from a SP not named Santana. Am I missing something here?
stlcardsfan
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Shields + Linebrink = 1 Ace?

Postby The_Met_Threat » Sun May 07, 2006 6:47 pm

stlcardsfan wrote:I have Shields and I'm thinking of picking up Linebrink. I'm sure someone has thought of this before, but how come no one ever uses 2 top middle relievers like Linebrink and Scott Shields in place of an ace? Looking at their stats over the past year or two, if you combine them you have someone with about 160 IP, 160 K, 15-16 W a sub 3 ERA and WHIP around 1.10, plus you may get a handful of saves too. That's about as much as you can ask for from a SP not named Santana. Am I missing something here?

For roto sure its a great idea. But for H2H its not really signifigant.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby flowbee » Sun May 07, 2006 6:47 pm

you lose a roster spot that could be used to get saves from a closer or whatever your needs are, and probably lose out in strikeouts or wins
flowbee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Jury » Sun May 07, 2006 7:39 pm

It's a well-known strategy and works effectively in roto, and in leagues where you aren't giving up saves in order to play the middle relievers.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Shields + Linebrink = 1 Ace?

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sun May 07, 2006 8:30 pm

The_Met_Threat wrote:
stlcardsfan wrote:I have Shields and I'm thinking of picking up Linebrink. I'm sure someone has thought of this before, but how come no one ever uses 2 top middle relievers like Linebrink and Scott Shields in place of an ace? Looking at their stats over the past year or two, if you combine them you have someone with about 160 IP, 160 K, 15-16 W a sub 3 ERA and WHIP around 1.10, plus you may get a handful of saves too. That's about as much as you can ask for from a SP not named Santana. Am I missing something here?

For roto sure its a great idea. But for H2H its not really signifigant.

Like Mets said...It is a pretty solid strategy in rotoball...but not that effective in H2H... :-)

In roto...I have used that strategy quite often and been pretty sucessful with it... ;-D
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby LouisC9999 » Sun May 07, 2006 8:51 pm

I'm using Soriano and Shields like that (12-team, 5x5 roto):

34.1 IP, 1 W (2 wins blown by Guardado), 31K, 2.11 ERA, 0.85 WHIP, 1 SV
LouisC9999
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yin_Xu88 » Sun May 07, 2006 9:05 pm

I use Heliman (at SP), Soriano and Rincon. I'm not doing great in wins, but I'm 1st in era, 8th in whip and 3rd in my league in K's, only because the two teams ahead of me already have 300+ IPs.
Yin_Xu88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nuggets » Mon May 08, 2006 12:59 am

Assuming a RP pitches an equal amount of IP at constant rate every week, why isn't he as good for H2H?
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eftda » Mon May 08, 2006 3:06 am

I'm using 1-2 SP for h2h and winning 3-4 cats every week. I win Saves, Whip and ERA but wins is very flaky.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby phunkadelic » Mon May 08, 2006 10:10 am

The biggest issues are:

- that getting wins from set-up men is extremely inconsistent. One guy could get 9 wins one year, then one win the next year with the exact same ERA and WHIP - luck is a heavy factor for middle relievers.

- it uses up a bench spot that you could be using for that young potential stud like Anthony Reyes - or for that guy who's on the DL, but you have all your DL spots filled.
phunkadelic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers