$2.03 Gas - Wish I Had Known About This! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

$2.03 Gas - Wish I Had Known About This!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

$2.03 Gas - Wish I Had Known About This!

Postby knapplc » Sun May 07, 2006 6:18 pm

ST. CLOUD, Minn. - Most motorists are feeling the pain as gasoline creeps toward, or over, $3 a gallon — but not Art Altrichter.

"This feels pretty good!" Altrichter said as he filled the tank of his Ford F-150 pickup for $2.03 a gallon on Thursday, when the average here was $2.73. "Right now, to be a few pennies over $2, when it's as high as it is? That's a real deal."

A year ago, the retired milk truck driver bought 500 gallons of gas at First Fuel Banks, locking it in at the then-current price of $2.03 a gallon. He taps that reserve whenever gas rises above that mark. If the retail price drops below $2.03, he can leave his reserve alone and buy elsewhere.

First Fuel Banks bills itself as the only retailer in the country where customers can buy gasoline for the future and hedge against rising prices. It advertises no service charge and no storage charge, just a $1 lifetime membership fee.

Altrichter said one of his neighbors got in at First Fuel Banks several years ago and is now is withdrawing from a reserve that cost him 99 cents a gallon. "How about that!" he said.

Both people and businesses buy gas from the company, which has six stations in and around this central Minnesota city. The city of St. Cloud fills its fleet of cars at the company's stations.

The program is open to anyone who drives off the street. Customers buy whatever amount they want at the current price — the most ever purchased in advance was $400,000 worth — then swipe a card and key in a PIN number when they draw from their reserve.

Chief executive Jim Feneis, who runs the company with his brother, Dan Feneis, said 300 of its members are still filling up with gas that cost them less than a buck a gallon as recently as 2002. Many more are locked in under $2.

"We're offering a pretty attractive concept to the savvy buyer," Feneis said.

Each station has a 50,000-gallon tank for each grade of gasoline — regular, mid-grade and premium — compared with 6,000 to 8,000 gallons for each product at a typical convenience store, Feneis said.

That's enough capacity to handle short-and medium-term demand, he said. For people holding onto reserves for a year or longer, the company hedges its obligations by buying gasoline futures contracts on the New York Mercantile Exchange.

First Fuel Banks started with a single station in 1982 and now has about 8,000 members, Feneis said. It makes its money just by selling gasoline, diesel and some specialty fuels since its stations aren't convenience stores. He said it has less than 5 percent of the St. Cloud area market. But he said it's just one part of a larger business, East Side Oil Co., that has other divisions such as oil recycling.

"Our 43-year-old family fuel business is happy, healthy and completely debt-free," Feneis said. "And I think we're definitely the minority."

A few other stations in the country have tried a similar approach, but none have succeeded, he said.

Lance Klatt, executive director of the Minnesota Service Station and Convenience Store Association, can understand why: price volatility and risk.

"There's no margins anyway" in the gasoline business, said Klatt.

It was a new idea to Ron Planting, an economist with the American Petroleum Institute in Washington. "But in the Northeast and maybe elsewhere there are heating oil dealers that do something similar with a customer who wants to lock in a price for the current heating season," he said.

Sheila Hallerman learned about First Fuel Banks when she received a gift card a year ago, and a few months ago she bought 100 gallons at $2.40.

"It still hurts," she said of shelling out more than $2 for a gallon. "But not as much as it could."

This seems like a great idea, but there aren't many gas stations that have that kind of capacity, I'm sure.

I just filled up for about $2.75 a gallon the other day, and I was happy to get it for that. It had been about $2.90 the previous week.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sun May 07, 2006 8:00 pm

I saw this earlier today...wish more gas stations would get into doing this.... ;-D

I just filled up this morning for $2.87 a gallon... !+)

It would be nice to get gas for .99 cents again.... :-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun May 07, 2006 8:19 pm

The days of .99 a gallon gas. :-) Those were the good ole days for sure.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby curious_george_43545 » Sun May 07, 2006 8:21 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:The days of .99 a gallon gas. :-) Those were the good ole days for sure.

8-o I can't remember it ever being lower than about $1.80
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby 1337_Dude » Sun May 07, 2006 8:50 pm

curious_george_43545 wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:The days of .99 a gallon gas. :-) Those were the good ole days for sure.

8-o I can't remember it ever being lower than about $1.80

Me either :,-(
I'd love to be able for it to just be at $2.00
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby davidmarver » Sun May 07, 2006 9:22 pm

$2.87?

It's $3.47 here in Santa Barbara. :-P
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Fireball Express » Sun May 07, 2006 9:44 pm

davidmarver wrote:$2.87?

Geesh, and I thought I had it bad over here on Long Island.
I had to go to New Jersey today for a family event. I left with only a quarter of a tank so that I could fill up in NJ. There's no state tax on gas there so it's cheaper than in NY. I paid 2.99 there as compared to 3.11-3.19 on Long Island.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Sun May 07, 2006 10:56 pm

Fireball Express wrote:

Geesh, and I thought I had it bad over here on Long Island.
I had to go to New Jersey today for a family event. I left with only a quarter of a tank so that I could fill up in NJ. There's no state tax on gas there so it's cheaper than in NY. I paid 2.99 there as compared to 3.11-3.19 on Long Island.

Yep, we're paying $3.11 - $3.18 here in Albany as well :-P

The lowest I can remember gas being was $ 0.97, and oh what I'd do for that again. :-/
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby suppasonic » Sun May 07, 2006 11:34 pm

I've seen some places in Carp and Goleta like a 3.57 or 3.67.

Horrible. Utterly Horrible.

Hooray for a decent mass transit system.
Dodgers World Champs 2012

GO FORESTERS!!!!!!
suppasonic
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Big Pimpin » Mon May 08, 2006 12:05 am

Yeah I remember when it was under a buck a gallon...

Just paid $3.05 a gallon the other day in Phoenix... :-t

Although I'm in Maine for business right now and it's cheap up here. Under $2.80. So if you can go to Maine to buy your gas get on that stat. ;-7
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Next

Return to General Talk