Victor Zambrano - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Mets

Victor Zambrano

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Victor Zambrano

Postby Amazinz » Sun May 07, 2006 11:45 am

Looks like he might be done for the season. May be a blessing in disguise with some of the arms we have coming up. Much rather see someone like Soler or Gonzalez get a shot. Maybe Pelfrey eventually.

After having an X-ray taken at Shea Stadium, Zambrano, in tears and with his elbow having swelled up, was taken to a Manhattan hospital for an MRI. Zambrano's agent, Peter Greenberg, told Newsday last night the MRI revealed a torn flexor tendon in the pitcher's elbow. Zambrano will most likely be out for the season.

Star Ledger
Last edited by Amazinz on Sat May 20, 2006 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rirruto » Sun May 07, 2006 12:55 pm

I give him credit for trying to tough it out when he knew the team needed innings. At least he wasn't a bum. That said, we can probably get the same kind of inconsistent production as him from someone in the minors, and like you said, maybe we'll see Pelfry sometime this year. Soler and Gonzalez
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Amazinz » Sun May 07, 2006 12:59 pm

The story and the interview on the Fan are heart-wrenching. Can't help feeling bad for him. :-/
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pokerplaya » Sun May 07, 2006 8:31 pm

I was not a Zambrano supporter by any means - but I can't help but think he could have turned it around. Sad.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun May 07, 2006 8:41 pm

This injury may become a blessing for you as now Omar may turn up the intensity on picking up a nice option for your #2 SP. Before this injury, he may have been happy enough giving Soler a shot in the rotation this summer, but I think this injury may push him towards a trade. Luckily for the Mets, Pelfrey is not a option to be traded, so they will not have to worry about a team asking for him.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sun May 07, 2006 9:06 pm

I am thinking more along the lines of an internal option. The Mets have some options in the minors that may produce better than Zambrano but they weren't going to get the chance up until now due to the politics of the Kazmir trade.

As far as a trade goes I would think that there are a shortage of arms out there right now. Maybe there will be something available near the trade deadline but I don't see it happening soon. If it comes down to making a lateral move (trading for someone to fill Zambrano's production) I don't think there is any need. Mets pitching at the minor league level is deeper than it is given credit for. It gets dogged because it lacks top tier talent other than Pelfrey (Humber, maybe).
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby pokerplaya » Mon May 08, 2006 1:22 am

I can't say I like any of our immediate options. I think it is pretty clear that we have no depth in our rotation, and I think to stay on top and go the distance we need to trade for a legitimate #3 starter. Someone to make a team shudder when they think of Pedro/Glavine/X/Trachsel. I wish we still had Benson. :-/
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Mon May 08, 2006 11:08 am

LA Times is reporting that the Dodgers are shopping Odalis Perez to the Mets. I'm not a big Perez fan but I think he would be a decent enough replacement. Plus this would primarily be a salary dump, it would cost next to nothing in terms of talent. The downside is he's signed through next year and he is way overpaid (~$10M per).
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby pokerplaya » Mon May 08, 2006 4:03 pm

Amazinz wrote:LA Times is reporting that the Dodgers are shopping Odalis Perez to the Mets. I'm not a big Perez fan but I think he would be a decent enough replacement. Plus this would primarily be a salary dump, it would cost next to nothing in terms of talent. The downside is he's signed through next year and he is way overpaid (~$10M per).

Eh. I guess it would do. I still would rather have Benson at 7M than Odalis at 10M. But, yes, I realize hindsight is 20/20. :-/
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

Postby Amazinz » Thu May 11, 2006 12:00 pm

New York Met General Manager Omar Minaya said he had little interest in acquiring Dodger left-hander Odalis Perez because of the $21 million Perez is owed this year and next. The Mets could be in the market for a starter because Victor Zambrano is out for the season.

LA Times
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to New York Mets