Odalis Perez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Odalis Perez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Odalis Perez

Postby The Big Train » Sat May 06, 2006 10:11 pm

Perez was placed on the bereavement list in order to be with his mother in the Dominican Republic. The Dodgers purchased the contract of Aaron Sele to take Perez's spot on the roster. Sele will start Sunday (if you are really that desperate for a spot starter).
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HillenbrandOwns » Sun May 07, 2006 12:57 am

i think you have to be desperate for starting pitching to even care about this and Odalis Perez...
HillenbrandOwns
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Big Train » Sun May 07, 2006 1:23 am

Well I guess if you are in a one team league and you have Carpenter, Martinez, Santana, Peavy and Halladay it's not important, but in NL only or large 14-16 team leagues it probably is. He's owned in a lot of leagues I'm in and was supposed to start tomorrow. He does have 3 wins already.
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HillenbrandOwns » Sun May 07, 2006 9:32 am

Smartass

Odalis Perez is garbage in any type of format. It has to be a leauge where ERA, WHIP, low strikeout rates and high walk rates are acceptable to want him on your team. Is ERA is Getting close to 7 and whip is inching near 2. I don't know why people have a boner for this guy..he's trash and he always has been. I say the dodgers give up on him at the end of the season when they beg the Yankees to give them Nomo back.

Atleast Nomo lived up to his potential at one point in his career.
HillenbrandOwns
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pacman » Sun May 07, 2006 9:36 am

I was very optimistic about Odalis coming into the season, and drafted him fairly low in my main league.

That said, he's been extremely disappointing, and there was even talk this week (before the bereavement news) that he was going to lose his spot in the rotation anyway.

I cut him this week, and picked up Xavier Nady, as I needed a solid OF more than an SP who hasn't shown anything this year.

I'd say in all but the deepest leagues, you can safely cut him, and he won't move off the FA wire for a long time.

Good luck.

Please, please help me with this quickie, folks. http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=201263
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby finalheaven » Sun May 07, 2006 1:15 pm

HillenbrandOwns wrote:Smartass

Odalis Perez is garbage in any type of format. It has to be a leauge where ERA, WHIP, low strikeout rates and high walk rates are acceptable to want him on your team. Is ERA is Getting close to 7 and whip is inching near 2. I don't know why people have a boner for this guy..he's trash and he always has been. I say the dodgers give up on him at the end of the season when they beg the Yankees to give them Nomo back.

Wow, harsh words. I'm in a 13-team mixed league and started him for a couple starts, and he did great. Don't be rude to a guy who just posted an update. Just because you think it's worthless doesn't mean it is. Grow up.
finalheaven
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LiveForever » Sun May 07, 2006 8:08 pm

Um Odalis had some really good season.

2002: 15 wins, 222 IP, 155 K's, 3.00 ERA, and a 0.99 Whip

2004: 9 wins, 196 IP, 128 K's, 3.25 ERA, and a 1.14 Whip

Dont blast a guy you obviously know nothing about.
"If you look long enough for an argument against reason, you will find it" ~Moneyball

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness
LiveForever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby warrick95 » Sun May 07, 2006 9:52 pm

LiveForever wrote:

Exactly...and this is coming from a guy who has a boner for Shea Hillenbrand? Niiiiiice...that 3.00/0.99 season was freaking sick.

Odalis is just a very, very, very temperamental pitcher. In all three of the starts he's been crushed in, he was coasting until some little thing happened that got him shaken. Like one hit...then he'd start getting crushed. That's always the way he's been. He'll settle down though, eventually, imo.

Plus, with his mom ailing, I would say that that contributes to why he's been pitching poorly. I mean, some guys can zone this stuff out, but with a headcase like Odalis, you've gotta expect him to break down.

I am still optimistic about Odalis, being one of the better WHIP pitchers in the league and am still going to hold onto him.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby swyck » Mon May 08, 2006 12:23 pm

LiveForever wrote:

The guy obviously is not real bright, and willing to show it. :-B

I had Odd Perez in a deep league, and I thought he had a shot to turn it around, but at this point I'm cutting him loose. If he turns it around he should be available.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby number9 » Tue May 09, 2006 4:27 am

In ESPN he's owned in 88% of NL only leagues and 1.7% of mixed leagues..
number9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates