Randy Johnson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Randy Johnson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun May 07, 2006 9:49 am

I just checked his splits, and didn't even realize how much it changed from the first half to the second. Hopefully he can make that change a bit earlier this year. ;-D
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Big Pimpin » Sun May 07, 2006 10:57 am

cordscords wrote:He will have a few dominating outings that will remind people of the old Johnson, but he shouldnt be counted on as anything more than a #3.

Dude you're either playing a four team league, or only consider about 7 guys #1 or #2 SPs. I don't know how many threads I've seen where you say a top 15 SP is nothing more than a #3 or #4...

:-b
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Big Pimpin » Sun May 07, 2006 10:59 am

As to RJ, he started rough last year too but ended the season really strong. I think he'll be ok, but he's certainly not the Unit of old. I think he'll have solid numbers when it's all said and done. I certainly wouldn't be selling him cheap to just unload him...
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)

Postby The Jury » Sun May 07, 2006 12:13 pm

willy-t wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:
bluejkrew wrote:Wish you were in my league. I'm actually trying to trade FOR him, with the latest offer being Bonds/Otsuka/M.Gonzalez for RJ. Was that a fair offer, or did I push my luck, :*)

With what some people are thinking of him, it could happen. But I don't think you'd want me in your league because of RJ...my point was I still see him as a top starter but no one seems to come close in trade offers so I gotta keep him.

Not to brag, but in my money league (highish fee, competitive) I traded Milwood, Renteria and Garret Atkins for Unit, Furcal and Todd Walker. I think I got a good deal, as you can really consider it Unit for Milwood, but I wasn't really ready to pay any more than Lackey or Patterson for him.

There's plenty of reasons to be concerned about this guy. The Bonds, Otsuka, Gonzo deal seems perfectly fair to me.

Posting a trade that you made isn't any form of bragging. A trade is not dependant on one person alone, it is dependant on the trading and evaluating abilities of 2 people, and luck.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nuggets » Sun May 07, 2006 1:37 pm

slomo007 wrote:As mentioned, his control has been a little off so far. The problem is not his velocity...he has adjusted to the lower velocity, as evidenced by his 2nd half last season. The problem is his control is off, meaning those solo HRs are turning in to 2-3 run HRs. :-t

One of the things that always has impressed me about Randy Johnson is how he can adapt to how he's aging. I know most of the old pitchers still around have done it, but Randy's was more obvious than others. When he lost his velocity, he realized he had to gain his control, which he accomplished. This year he has been walking too many, but I expect that to turn around.

Control at high velocity was his problem coming in to the leauge, I bet that'll be his problem on his way out. It would seem he's trying to find a balance between the two this year. I don't think he's "a very solid starter", but who is? I'd either want him as my #2 or #1 on a deeper than typical staff.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Guru » Sun May 07, 2006 2:43 pm

He simply is not a dominate pitcher anymore. I think he'll have worse numbers then last year. The AL East along with the AL as a whole has better hitting offenses this year, plus Randy is older and worse. All of those things add up To RAndy not being that good this year. He is not the ace of the yankees, so far its Moose this year. But Moose will go back to his old self and the yankees will go back to not having an ace.
(^) (o) - "Let's Hug it out"
The Guru
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nuggets » Sun May 07, 2006 2:45 pm

The Guru wrote:He simply is not a dominate pitcher anymore. I think he'll have worse numbers then last year. The AL East along with the AL as a whole has better hitting offenses this year, plus Randy is older and worse. All of those things add up To RAndy not being that good this year. He is not the ace of the yankees, so far its Moose this year. But Moose will go back to his old self and the yankees will go back to not having an ace.

Still, worse than last year is what? 200IP, 190K, 15 W, high 3s ERA, 1.15 Whip?
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Jury » Sun May 07, 2006 3:20 pm

He's still a very good fantasy pitcher, but I think he will continue to mix in more bad starts with the good ones until retirement.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby paiger » Sun May 07, 2006 9:28 pm

one subjective thing I noticed about Randy's starts which is likely not exclusive to him, but it seems to go that if he pitches through the order with no big blasts he can usually have a dominant day, but if he gets rocked early forget it.

Would like to find a stat sheet on this, - runs per early inning win percent, or 3-9th inning era vs 1-3rd era. etc.

and agreed mediocre Randy is still > most SP.
paiger
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers