Randy Johnson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Randy Johnson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Randy Johnson

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat May 06, 2006 8:05 pm

What's the deal with him this year? I've seen a number of people saying he's done. Offers I received for him were not the offers I'd expect for an ace of NY.

If I remember correctly, last year he was ranked in the top 3 of SP going in to the year and the only concern was how he'd handle NY. He seemed to handle it fine. His ERA fell quite a bit, but it wasn't terrible. He still K'ed 200 hitters and had a good ratio.

I still think he's a potential top starter. He'll keep racking up the wins with that lineup.

Going in to his last start I was still very confident in him. He had an ERA of about 1.70 and a WHIP under 2 in his starts that weren't against Toronto, a team he struggled with last year too. But then he goes into TB and struggles again, and I've kinda gotten worried.

What are your guys' thoughts on him? I still see him as a very solid starter, but others seem to think differently. :-[
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cordscords » Sat May 06, 2006 8:07 pm

He will have a few dominating outings that will remind people of the old Johnson, but he shouldnt be counted on as anything more than a #3.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby The_Met_Threat » Sat May 06, 2006 8:08 pm

The problems last year were that he started giving up a lot of home runs, top 10 in the league i think, and he used to be pretty much automatic vs lefties, but i think they hit him a little better. I am just expecting last years numbers.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat May 06, 2006 8:19 pm

BAsically he throws 91-93 now, not 97 and hangs his slider with more regularity. All leading to higher HRs totals. I would look to numbers like last season also.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bluejkrew » Sat May 06, 2006 9:47 pm

Wish you were in my league. I'm actually trying to trade FOR him, with the latest offer being Bonds/Otsuka/M.Gonzalez for RJ. Was that a fair offer, or did I push my luck, :*)
bluejkrew
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat May 06, 2006 9:52 pm

bluejkrew wrote:Wish you were in my league. I'm actually trying to trade FOR him, with the latest offer being Bonds/Otsuka/M.Gonzalez for RJ. Was that a fair offer, or did I push my luck, :*)

With what some people are thinking of him, it could happen. But I don't think you'd want me in your league because of RJ...my point was I still see him as a top starter but no one seems to come close in trade offers so I gotta keep him.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Sat May 06, 2006 11:08 pm

His command is a little off. He wasn't throwing in the upper 90s last year either.

Once the weather warms up, he will be fine. He pitched great in the second half i 05 and I expect more of the same. He's not as dominant as he once was but most pitchers would kill for his skills.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby willy-t » Sun May 07, 2006 3:28 am

teddy ballgame wrote:
bluejkrew wrote:Wish you were in my league. I'm actually trying to trade FOR him, with the latest offer being Bonds/Otsuka/M.Gonzalez for RJ. Was that a fair offer, or did I push my luck, :*)

With what some people are thinking of him, it could happen. But I don't think you'd want me in your league because of RJ...my point was I still see him as a top starter but no one seems to come close in trade offers so I gotta keep him.

Not to brag, but in my money league (highish fee, competitive) I traded Milwood, Renteria and Garret Atkins for Unit, Furcal and Todd Walker. I think I got a good deal, as you can really consider it Unit for Milwood, but I wasn't really ready to pay any more than Lackey or Patterson for him.

There's plenty of reasons to be concerned about this guy. The Bonds, Otsuka, Gonzo deal seems perfectly fair to me.
willy-t
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Sun May 07, 2006 6:21 am

He's 42 and unless he moves to closer (which won't happen) this will be the year to trade him for any decent value. ;-D
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 124)

Postby slomo007 » Sun May 07, 2006 9:28 am

As mentioned, his control has been a little off so far. The problem is not his velocity...he has adjusted to the lower velocity, as evidenced by his 2nd half last season. The problem is his control is off, meaning those solo HRs are turning in to 2-3 run HRs. :-t

One of the things that always has impressed me about Randy Johnson is how he can adapt to how he's aging. I know most of the old pitchers still around have done it, but Randy's was more obvious than others. When he lost his velocity, he realized he had to gain his control, which he accomplished. This year he has been walking too many, but I expect that to turn around.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers