Tim Hudson - Thoughts On This Guy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tim Hudson - Thoughts On This Guy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Sensei » Sun May 07, 2006 3:16 am

He's been up and down, but clearly has the ability to throw, as shown in his 3-hitter vs Mets and 1-hitter vs Rockies. I think he'll turn it around, especially with this schedule. Check out who he'll likely face his next few turns.

May 12, vs Was
May 17, vs Fla
May 22, @ SD
May 28, @ ChC
June 2, vs Ari
June 7, vs Was
June 13, @ Fla

Now, call me an optimist, but this schedule couldn't get much better unless you throw in a Pittsburg game or two. I'm gonna stick with him through this, maybe try to trade him towards the end if he can get his numbers down, confidence up, and trade value decent again.
"I've failed over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan
Sensei
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Halo Homers » Sun May 07, 2006 12:37 pm

Thanks for posting that upcomming schedule. He should thrive against that.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)

Postby The Guru » Sun May 07, 2006 2:46 pm

Even with a good schedule coming up the guy never K's enough for me. Kinda of wasting innings IMO. Plus Atlanta is worse this year so he won't get you anymore the average Win total. - 14 or so.
(^) (o) - "Let's Hug it out"
The Guru
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Sensei » Mon May 08, 2006 3:26 am

Atlanta will pick it up, plus Hudson's still the pitcher with the highest winning % among active's (I believe, unless he just got passed by Pedro), and there's no reason why he couldn't win almost all the games on that short schedule. Yes, he doesn't K as many guys, but I put him with Pedro/Harden/Schmidt in my league and I'm still top 3 in K's. You can't just discount him because of 1 category when he'll likely contribute in 3 others very solidly, especially cause I'm sure that lots of people got him for cheap when other drafters avoided low K pitchers.
"I've failed over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan
Sensei
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ender » Mon May 08, 2006 8:33 am

Low K, mediocre WHIP pitchers are completely useless. You shouldn't have drafted him in the first place. At least you didn't blow a higher round pick on him, I've seen some people take him in the 8th-9th round which is just silly in my opinion.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby The Guru » Mon May 08, 2006 4:23 pm

He never comes cheap because he is a 'Name' pitcher. People overate pitchers just because of there name and Hudson is one of them.
(^) (o) - "Let's Hug it out"
The Guru
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Sensei » Fri May 12, 2006 12:44 am

1st off, I'd call $5 for him in a $200 auction league pretty cheap. He's my 4th starter behind Pedro, Harden, and Schmidt...along with E. Santana, Verlander, and Haren. Used selectively, he fits well.

2nd, 6IP, 1R, 5H, 1BB, 7K's...and yes it was against the Marlins, but half the reason I have Hudson is so I can start him when it looks good. He's no longer an every-start pitcher to me, not someone you count on to anchor your rotation, but I'll take his good starts any day.

3rd, if low-K pitchers are a waste of innings, you wouldn't take a Jose Contreras 2006 stat line so far on your team?
44.2IP, 1.42 ERA, .87 WHIP, but only 21 K's?
Sensei
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AngelFan416 » Fri May 12, 2006 1:01 am

Sensei, Ender meant low K + medium WHIP pitchers are wastes of innings.

Meh, Huddy in a way is overrated. However, he's a solid / decent pitcher. I happen to own Huddy in two leagues, btw.
AngelFan416
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Sensei » Fri May 12, 2006 2:55 am

Ender wrote:You shouldn't have drafted him in the first place.

The Guru wrote:Even with a good schedule coming up the guy never K's enough for me. Kinda of wasting innings IMO.

Thanks for attempting to clarify, but I can read. I was more addressing these remarks.
Sensei
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers