Tim Hudson - Thoughts On This Guy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tim Hudson - Thoughts On This Guy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tim Hudson - Thoughts On This Guy

Postby Halo Homers » Sat May 06, 2006 4:26 pm

I drafted in both my leagues in the one in the 12th and the other the 14th round thinking he could reverting back to a #2 SP.

What does eveyone think about this guy. Should I look to trade him while his perceived value is high, or hold on. I think he is a better 2nd half pitcher.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 126)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby George_Foreman » Sat May 06, 2006 4:29 pm

He's had his sinker workign well his past few outings, which is a big improvement over last year. He got roughed up today a bit, but that was because Cox left him out there longer than he would have liked becuase of the 14 inning game last night. I think you'll get solid value given that you drafted him after the 10th round. I don't think I'd want to count on him as my #2 guy, but he should be a better-than-average #3.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby cordscords » Sat May 06, 2006 4:30 pm

I wouldnt say there is a huge market for guys who want Hudson right now. I would keep him, play matchups, and when he really finds his groove start him with confidence.

Hudson will still end up being a solid #3 IMO.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 156)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat May 06, 2006 4:33 pm

first, he's not a 2nd half pitcher. Let's get that out of the way.

and second, his k/9 in his last year with Oakland was lower than 5 for the first time in his career and k/9 of last year is only 5.3. He's 31, what made you think he'll bounce back? Billy Beane is one of the best GM in the league and there is a reason why he traded Hudson(to give John Schuerholz a fair shake, Dan Meyer hasn't been anything special either)
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby benjapage » Sat May 06, 2006 5:59 pm

in fairness to huddy, his last outing was incredible, and even today a few of those balls in the 7th inning were seeing-eye grounders.

last year's dip was due largely to a festering oblique problem. he seems to have resolved the health issues, and he's getting a lot of ground-balls.

reasonable to expect that, health notwithstanding, he will get back on track. solid #2 by year's end.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Zito is God » Sat May 06, 2006 6:05 pm

Today's outting should be stricken from thwe record. The result should have been 2 ER with a W. Conditions and luck contributed to Hudson getting lit.

I watched the whole game, here are the problems:

-Cox left hudson out too long because pen was tired.

-Hudson had some VERY questionable pitches called at the plate because Kaz Matsui was crowding the plate and the ump altered the strikezone.

-Nady's ridiculously high bloop single was not cught because of injured Andruw out of the game/ Langerhans being a bad CF and tired from last night.

- Most of his earned runs came AFTER he left the game, when relief gave up the hits.

Hes a good pitcher, stick with him.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Laean » Sat May 06, 2006 6:08 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:first, he's not a 2nd half pitcher. Let's get that out of the way.

and second, his k/9 in his last year with Oakland was lower than 5 for the first time in his career and k/9 of last year is only 5.3. He's 31, what made you think he'll bounce back? Billy Beane is one of the best GM in the league and there is a reason why he traded Hudson(to give John Schuerholz a fair shake, Dan Meyer hasn't been anything special either)

well, hudson's had near identical #s the past 2 years (about 190 IP, 100Ks, 50bb, 3.50ERA, 1.30WHIP), even in what may be his decline, so it's reasonable to think he'll improve upon this current 4.50 ERA. also, last season hudson's ERA preallstar was 3.78, postallstar was 3.30. and if you want to point out that hudson's preallstar ERA was inflated due to just one month of 7+ ERA, and that's why his postallstar ERA is lower, and so we should factor that out, then that would just mean his overall season ERA last year would be better than 3.50.

and based on what you yourself said, his K/9 rate went up last year compared to 2 years ago? since he had moved to the NL, that probably just means his K/9 rate stayed the same if the team change factored in, so his K rate then has stayed steady. that's a positive sign isn't it?

also, i like billy beane, and i trust most of his decisions, but how has estaban loaiza been working out for him? he's not god, he does make mistakes.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby benjapage » Sat May 06, 2006 6:11 pm

burned. :-B

edit: what i mean to say, of course, is that some great points have been made.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Mugrila » Sat May 06, 2006 6:35 pm

hudson isn't a guy that blows people away with his fastball. his success comes when he keeps the ball low in the zone and uses his sinker effectively. in his last couple of outings he's been doing just that and hopefully he will keep it up (or down depending on how you look at it :-D ) he's a solid 2-3.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby laxguy8947 » Sat May 06, 2006 7:02 pm

He threw a one hitter on Monday guys, the only hit came from Rockies' starter Jason Jennings. Why wouldn't you stick with him?
Thanks to abrage22
laxguy8947
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers