With 3 top-10 SP but no runs, is it time to be patient? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

With 3 top-10 SP but no runs, is it time to be patient?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

With 3 top-10 SP but no runs, is it time to be patient?

Postby kaiser » Sat May 06, 2006 12:02 pm

I don't know whether to sit back and be patient, or try to move some SP for another closer and some more runs, the two catagories I am near the bottom in.

Advice?

nonkeeper 8 team espn 5x5 roto mlb

P Carlos Zambrano (CHC)
P Roy Halladay (TOR)
P Trevor Hoffman (SD)
P Joe Nathan (MIN)
P Scot Shields (LAA)
P Freddy Garcia (CHW)
P Chris Carpenter (STL)
P John Patterson (WAS)
P Bronson Arroyo (CIN)
p JJ Putz (SEA)

C Joe Mauer (MIN)
1B Ryan Howard (PHI)
2B Ricky Weeks (MIL)
SS Miguel Tejada (BAL)
3B Scott Rolen (PHI)
OF Bob Abreu (PHI)
OF Hedeki Matsui (NYY)
OF Jim Edmunds (STL)
OF Jermaine Dye (CHW)
OF Alfonso Soriano (WAS)
MI Felipe Lopez (CIN)
CI Joe Crede (CHW)
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 306)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jonesboyz » Sat May 06, 2006 2:22 pm

You have nathan and hoffman and putz part-time since seattle's going with a committee of closers so i think u should focus more on runs help cuz you'll get more with that in other cats.
try dealing zambrano, garcia, or patterson for an OF with runs cuz that position looks pretty weak for u and also a closer in a 2 for 2 deal. (why do ppl have shields?)
jonesboyz Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kaiser » Sat May 06, 2006 9:38 pm

I'm sorry, but I just have to say that The above has got to be some of the least-informed advice I've ever received on this board. Yes, I need runs, but I would hardly call an outfield comprised of Abreu, Soriano, Matsui, Edmonds and Dye "weak." Also, if this guy doesn't know why people have Scot Shields on their fantasy teams, he hasn't been playing for very long. Perhaps he'll figure it out eventually.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 306)

Postby jonesboyz » Sun May 07, 2006 7:10 am

Which I why I can't givin advice. I looked at how edmonds and matusi are doin right now and based my "your of looks a little )which i s wut i actually meant. still wrong though) weak."
Great forum, but not my kind. I'll just stick with reading the threads and try to get help somewhere else.
now since this is back to the top, maybe someone who stops laughing after reading my posts in the thread can actually help you.
jonesboyz Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BTOWNHESS » Mon May 08, 2006 12:47 am

In all honesty, Id be patient if I were you...

1. Weeks started off slow, but with the move to leadoff and the fact he's heating up you should get a boost in runs, especially with the offense in Milwakee's lineup.

2. Rolen just got healthy and if he stays healthy he will be a big boost for your offense as well, especially batting behind Pujols who is going to start getting Bonds treatment (Intentional walks)

3. Howard has been heating up as well and even though he's batting 5th which is not a great spot for runs, he should be batting with runners on a lot and I see a 35-40 homer season from him, especially in that ballpark

4. Mauer.....I cant figure this kid out...he has potential to be a catcher that hits 20-20 with 80 RBI's and 100 runs, but hes just underachieving just like Morneau and Kubel....I dont know why all of Minnesota's young players arent producing, but if it doesnt change soon you can see Gardenhire gone quickly...Plus Mauer is being utilized incorrectly in the lineup...most of the season he has hit third when he should be in the 2 or 6 hole...

5. You have Hoffman and Nathan who should both net you around 40 saves, so I dont think you need a top line closer, but Id sell high on Arroyo and move him for someone like Fuentes Gonzalez or Wickman.

So basically I like your team a lot, but you are right, just exercise patience....

You cant lose a fantasy baseball season in the first month by your players underachieving, but you can lose in the first month by making drastic changes when they arent needed.....remember its a 6 month season, you look good.
BTOWNHESS
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby FUNdamentals11 » Mon May 08, 2006 1:36 am

Agreed with the above post. Don't make any dramatic moves. Your pitchers are amazing (if not a little inconsistent right now), and even your line-up is solid. Though I can't put it entirely in perspective, since I don't play in an 8-teamer, I would have to assume that you might be able to pick up a closer better than Shields, since he can only mooch the occasional save (now if you had holds . . .). Of course, you ridiculed the guy up above for saying that. Personally, I might move Soriano while he's hot (real hot), maybe for a closer and a solid outfielder, since I am not an adamant believer in him. Of course, that is purely a personal opinion.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=201678
FUNdamentals11
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby theultimate69 » Mon May 08, 2006 4:49 pm

Shields is great value for fantasy and definitely an underrated pitcher (should be in top 100 players rank-wise), but he rarely gets saves. He is however a hold-machine.
theultimate69
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team