Rank these OF's for the rest of this season - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rank these OF's for the rest of this season

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby G-Man » Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:41 pm

obviously lee isnt in the same class as the others mentioned, however don't overlook the fact that he has (per Rotoworld) a nine-game hit streak since the all-star break while batting .300 with 4 HR's and 11 RBI during that same time. Lee will also get a couple of SB's and the chisox offense is getting their act together, meaning this is a guy who can definitely be picked up to help any team that needs an OF (and can probably be found in several league's FA pools). hope this helps anyone who decides to pick him up. :-D
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby d » Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:49 pm

G-man, I have noticed Lee production too. He is a very streaky hitter, I'd him earlier in the season when he had his hot streak. However, I cut him loose after the hot streak because his OBP is too low(it counts in my league). I figured he will still be very inconsistent unless he walks more(higher OB %). If he stay productive in the top of the lineup, he sure is a good one to have ;-D .
d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby G-Man » Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:36 pm

yeah OBP counts in my league also which hurts lee's value. i just traded berkman away for some 3b help so i am going to be playing lee/jenkins in my third OF slot (along with vlad and wells), whichever of the streaky guys is hot at the time (usually works out better to just play one or the other and stick with it).

for the rest of the year, i'd rank them:

WELLS (the kid is a stud and the jays lineup is scary)

MAGGS (already heatin up bigtime to begin his inevitable 2nd-half tear, along with the chisox o coming to life means monster numbers)

BERKMAN (plays home games in a little league field and has a strong surrounding lineup, but wrist concerns are a problem)

VLAD (if his back holds and he rounds into midseason form he shoots to the head of the pack as long as you're not relying on SB's)

ABREU (only 11 SB's....phenomenal .406 OBP but not even top-30 in Runs, a tribute to his lackluster, underperforming teammates)

LEE (has quietly stolen 9 bags, could see more of that in the second half if he moves down in the lineup to his semi-regular 5 spot since i cant imagine he will be allowed to regularly steal with big hurt and maggs following).
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yanks 4ev » Sat Jul 26, 2003 9:36 pm

hmm someone else ranks wells above all else? plagerism haha j/k im glad that wells is starting to get his props in the fan base and not just by his piers as you said its been a long time coming and i think this year is his soriano-esque breakout year that makes the world well america take notice and no doubt if he played on the yankees he'd have a billboard with his face on it however thats what he gets for playing for a team in canada (vlad anyone?) oh and pujols is scary and counting at third base? there should be a law against it (unless hes on my team)
Yanks 4ev
College Coach
College Coach

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Jul 26, 2003 11:25 pm

Wells is a good young stud, but i wouldnt rate him over Vlad or Mags. Both those guys are proven 300 hitters. Average so far is Wells one set back.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby jdh » Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:32 am

1. Maggs (always seems to go on a second half tear and White Sox are heating it up)
2. Abreu (also tends to be a big second half performer, and is a five category stud)
3. Vlad (really hard to rate him and he's a high risk/reward guy. Don't expect steals, but if his back holds up, he could provide great power numbers. A greatguy to take a chance on if you need to take risks because you're in a bit of a hole. If you're in a comfortable spot now, go for a safer option.)
4. Wells (He will still be really solid but probably won't repeat his insane first half production.)
5. Berkman (Has historically been a better first half player that fades in the second half, but with the Astros on a roll and Kent back, who knows?)
6. Lee (He's a solid backup outfielder/utility option, but not anywhere near the league of these other guys. Expect him to hit 15 HR and put up around a .270 average second half.)
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:50 pm

Wells is hitting .305 as we speak. I'll take that average along with the other numbers.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Carlos Lee

Postby lifeform » Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:14 pm

Carlos Lee's a FA in my league, and I've been tempted to drop one of my current OFs for him:

Milton Bradley (55 R, 8 HR, 48 RBI, 15 SB, .327)
Jacque Jones (53 R, 11 HR, 39 RBI, 9 SB, .310)
Ryan Klesko (39 R, 20 HR, 58 RBI, 2 SB, .262)

Lee's numbers: 54 R, 18 HR, 65 RBI, 9 SB, .265

Should I make the move? If so, who should I drop to make room for Lee?

My roster:

12-team 5x5 standard Yahoo head-to-head league (currently in 2nd place)

C - J. Lopez (Atl)
1B - R. Sexson (Mil)
2B - A. Soriano (NYY)
3B - A. Boone (Cin)
SS - A. Berroa (KC)
OF - R. Klesko (SD), M. Bradley (Cle), J. Jones (Min)
Util - F. Thomas (CWS)
DL - M. Piazza (NYM), T. Glaus (Ana)

SP - T. Hudson (Oak), K. Millwood (Phi), W. Miller (Hou), B. Sheets (Mil), V. Padilla (Phi), Odalis Perez (LA), C. Vargas (Mon)

RP - S. Williamson (Cin), R. Biddle (Mon), C. Mears (Det), T. Gordon (CWS)
Everything you know is wrong.
lifeform
College Coach
College Coach

Postby G-Man » Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:26 pm

and just like that carlos lee is up to 20 HR's with a rising OBP and a potent lineup surrounding him....i know he's not in the league of the rest of the guys I listed, but don't lose sight of this guy.
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby G-Man » Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:39 am

i hope everyone grabbed lee when we started this topic, because he is THE single hottest hitter in the majors right now and is comfortable in the 2-spot in the chisox' powerful lineup.

when i started this post i threw in lee's name along with the other big-time names as an obvious outlier, but i would say that the gap is narrowing quickly. heere's one vote that he continues solid production the rest of the way. ;-D
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers