Rickey Henderson should get a bonus - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rickey Henderson should get a bonus

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RugbyD » Sun May 07, 2006 3:02 am

AT wrote:I saw a quote somewhere that Rickey called up a GM somewhere acting as his own agent...

"Hello, this is Rickey calling on behalf of, Rickey."

There are apparently lots of Rickey stories. I remember on Mike & Mike one morning they had Steve Phillips on and he was talking about when they are trying to sign Ricky in his later years and they had a deal worked out with the agent in principle and the agent said that everything was done except that Steve now had to get Ricky's approval. So steve, kind of confused, called Ricky and explained the terms that were 'agreed to' with Ricky's agent and Ricky started negotiating a bunch of extra stuff like $X or being MVP, $Y for leading this or that catergory in the league, yada yada. And so Steve finally realizes that there no way a 40+ dude is going to accomplish any of this so he just patronizes him and gives him just about any incentive clause he wants b/c he knows thaey won't have to pay a dime.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bukoski77 » Sun May 07, 2006 5:21 am

Funny thread!!

I remember as a child 10 or so years old just getting into baseball when the "Whowee!!! Ricky Henderson!!!!" Topps baseball card commercials where being aired on TV a lot in the late 80‘s – early 90’s. I became an A’s fan then and have stuck with them ever since. Ricky was a far cry from my favorite A’s player at the time though, that would have been Carney Lansford.

Anyway, Ricky was an asinine jerk who for a while epitomized all that was wrong with the super stars egocentric aspect of baseball and most professional sports for that matter. Who can forget him holding 2ND base over his head and proclaiming himself ‘The Greatest’, after breaking the all-time Stolen Base record?

As his career dwindled and he elapsed his peek I gained a lot of respect for him though. He changed his mentality and outlook and began to appreciate what the game gave to him. Even after breaking his Runs and Walks record he played the following season in the independent leagues, before getting a stop-gap job with the Dodgers. He was just an old timer who still had the physical tools to contribute somewhat, albeit a shadow of his former self, and stuck around to play in a platoon role because he simply loved playing baseball.

Say what you want about him. He was a jack-A$$ in the prime of his playing days, as was prior mentioned, him wanting to be the highest paid player in the game as well, etc……….

He did adjust his attitude and change his outlook however. He isn’t coaching because he needs the money now. Ricky is a solid ambassador now, and still today makes a solid contribution to the game of baseball we see played out on the field.

At least we know or can assume he didn’t steal all those bases on steroids.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bukoski77 » Sun May 07, 2006 5:26 am

Funny thread!!

I remember as a child 10 or so years old just getting into baseball when the "Whowee!!! Ricky Henderson!!!!" Topps baseball card commercials where being aired on TV a lot in the late 80‘s – early 90’s. I became an A’s fan then and have stuck with them ever since. Ricky was a far cry from my favorite A’s player at the time though, that would have been Carney Lansford.

Anyway, Ricky was an asinine jerk who for a while epitomized all that was wrong with the super stars egocentric aspect of baseball and most professional sports for that matter. Who can forget him holding 2ND base over his head and proclaiming himself ‘The Greatest’, after breaking the all-time Stolen Base record?

As his career dwindled and he elapsed his peek I gained a lot of respect for him though. He changed his mentality and outlook and began to appreciate what the game gave to him. Even after breaking his Runs and Walks record he played the following season in the independent leagues, before getting a stop-gap job with the Dodgers. He was just an old timer who still had the physical tools to contribute somewhat, albeit a shadow of his former self, and stuck around to play in a platoon role because he simply loved playing baseball.

Say what you want about him. He was a jack-A$$ in the prime of his playing days, as was prior mentioned, him wanting to be the highest paid player in the game as well, etc……….

He did adjust his attitude and change his outlook however. He isn’t coaching because he needs the money now. Ricky is a solid ambassador now, and still today makes a solid contribution to the game of baseball we see played out on the field.

At least we know or can assume he didn’t steal all those bases on steroids.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pokeyjoe » Sun May 07, 2006 8:41 am

RugbyD wrote:
AT wrote:I saw a quote somewhere that Rickey called up a GM somewhere acting as his own agent...

"Hello, this is Rickey calling on behalf of, Rickey."

There are apparently lots of Rickey stories. I remember on Mike & Mike one morning they had Steve Phillips on and he was talking about when they are trying to sign Ricky in his later years and they had a deal worked out with the agent in principle and the agent said that everything was done except that Steve now had to get Ricky's approval. So steve, kind of confused, called Ricky and explained the terms that were 'agreed to' with Ricky's agent and Ricky started negotiating a bunch of extra stuff like $X or being MVP, $Y for leading this or that catergory in the league, yada yada. And so Steve finally realizes that there no way a 40+ dude is going to accomplish any of this so he just patronizes him and gives him just about any incentive clause he wants b/c he knows thaey won't have to pay a dime.

That's a funny one.
pokeyjoe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby perlick29 » Sun May 07, 2006 11:49 am

He should get a bonus just for being Rickey. He's my favorite player of all-time, the mix of speed and power.

Maybe you can tell by the sig I've had for some time. I really wish I could have had one with him on the Yankees but that sig is still great.

My favorite story:

Rickey near the end of his career was getting on the Padres team bus and Tony Gwynn was there. Rickey sat in Tony's seat on the bus. Tony then said to him, "Rickey this is my seat, I've got tenure here." Rickey replied, "Ten-year? Rickey's got twenty year." he took the seat. :-D
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KolbSaves » Sun May 07, 2006 11:55 am

cordscords wrote:Remember that one Seinfeld where the guy who kept speaking in 3rd person accidentelly picked up Elaine?

Funny episode.

Jimmy doesn't like misunderstandings.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Sun May 07, 2006 6:12 pm

My favorite Rickey story:

1999: Henderson is now with the Mets. He is standing next to John Olerud taking ground balls (wearing a helmet as always). Rickey to Olderud and says, "Man, you wear a batting helmet in the field? I used played with this guy in Toronto who did the same thing. Weird concidence, huh?"

Olerud and Henderson both played for the Blue Jays in 1993.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers