Lidge - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Lidge

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby hersch223 » Sun May 07, 2006 10:56 am

I watched the two games against the Cardinals, and it he struggled in both. He simply didn't throw his fastball, just his slider. The hitters decided to lay off it, which led to the walks. If he would just throw that fastball more or locate his slider better, he'll be dominant again.
I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades...or a game of fake heart attack.
hersch223
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Sun May 07, 2006 11:00 am

hersch223 wrote:I watched the two games against the Cardinals, and it he struggled in both. He simply didn't throw his fastball, just his slider. The hitters decided to lay off it, which led to the walks. If he would just throw that fastball more or locate his slider better, he'll be dominant again.

He is throwing plenty of fastballs. He just missed with it either wide or right down the middle where people are hammering it.

Loss of confidence has played a significant role so far for closers: Gaurdado, Cordero. Lidge doesn't seem that far behind right now.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Zito is God » Sun May 07, 2006 11:35 am

Hes tipping his pitches, plain and simple. I watched the game a couple of nights ago and he has a slight pause when delivering the ball, but that pause comes when he has taken the ball out of the glove already. He did not do that last year and hence hitters are getting a decent idea of what he is throwing. His slider is still filthy and extremely hard to pick up, even if he tips hitters has swung and K'd in that game, but with the obvious disadvantage he has been blown up. This is an obvious mechanics problem and he should work it out during these couple of days "off" with the pitching manager crew.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Sun May 07, 2006 11:40 am

Zito is God wrote:Hes tipping his pitches, plain and simple. I watched the game a couple of nights ago and he has a slight pause when delivering the ball, but that pause comes when he has taken the ball out of the glove already. He did not do that last year and hence hitters are getting a decent idea of what he is throwing. His slider is still filthy and extremely hard to pick up, even if he tips hitters has swung and K'd in that game, but with the obvious disadvantage he has been blown up. This is an obvious mechanics problem and he should work it out during these couple of days "off" with the pitching manager crew.

You started off as he is simply timping his pitches but then said his slider is hard to pick up. I agree it is probably mechanical but the problem is not that he is tipping his pitches.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby KolbSaves » Sun May 07, 2006 11:43 am

Ah yes, the holy grail of pitching problems...tipping pitches. Instantly fixable and a miracle cure for all your woes.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Zito is God » Sun May 07, 2006 11:47 am

Yoda wrote:
Zito is God wrote:Hes tipping his pitches, plain and simple. I watched the game a couple of nights ago and he has a slight pause when delivering the ball, but that pause comes when he has taken the ball out of the glove already. He did not do that last year and hence hitters are getting a decent idea of what he is throwing. His slider is still filthy and extremely hard to pick up, even if he tips hitters has swung and K'd in that game, but with the obvious disadvantage he has been blown up. This is an obvious mechanics problem and he should work it out during these couple of days "off" with the pitching manager crew.

You started off as he is simply timping his pitches but then said his slider is hard to pick up. I agree it is probably mechanical but the problem is not that he is tipping his pitches.

What I'm saying is that with the type of slider Lidge throws he could sometimes get away with tipping the pitch. If he walks over to the plate and tells some Tony Womack character "Hey bud, I'm gonna throw my slider, try and hit it", a good amount of hitters would still missed because of the amount of movement and break a slider like Lidge posses has.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby hersch223 » Sun May 07, 2006 2:54 pm

Yoda wrote:
hersch223 wrote:I watched the two games against the Cardinals, and it he struggled in both. He simply didn't throw his fastball, just his slider. The hitters decided to lay off it, which led to the walks. If he would just throw that fastball more or locate his slider better, he'll be dominant again.

He is throwing plenty of fastballs. He just missed with it either wide or right down the middle where people are hammering it.

Loss of confidence has played a significant role so far for closers: Gaurdado, Cordero. Lidge doesn't seem that far behind right now.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but the two games I watched had him throwing all sliders. I could probably count on one hand the number of fastballs he threw. When the batters know the slider is coming, and you can't hit your location with it, it's going to be a rough outing regardless of who you are.

I agree though, his confidence has got to be the biggest problem.
I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades...or a game of fake heart attack.
hersch223
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Thu May 11, 2006 6:00 pm

Another near blown save and Wheeler saves the game for Lidge.

I would go get Wheeler if I were you.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby chris_dubyuh » Thu May 11, 2006 8:39 pm

:-o Do I try and break a deal for him for another closer? Is this the end of Brad Lidge? We've already seen Guardado and Cordero lose their jobs.
chris_dubyuh
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Thu May 11, 2006 8:44 pm

chris_dubyuh wrote::-o Do I try and break a deal for him for another closer? Is this the end of Brad Lidge? We've already seen Guardado and Cordero lose their jobs.

Guardado and Cordero never had real closer stuff. Lidge has ace stuff, but is just off right now. Big difference.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers