So how long is Morris REALLY out for? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

So how long is Morris REALLY out for?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:26 am

It's a tough call in a head to head league. It just looks like he's out for at least 6 weeks and I don't see a reason for the team to rush him back this year. I'd probably just keep my ears open for news on Morris and keep an eye on the free agent pool. I wouldn't be scared to make a move if I felt like I needed to though.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:48 am

i think it depends where you are in H2H ... if you are in contention then I would hang on to him. If he does come back, It will be during "Yahoo Playoffs" and I am sure that could be the nice bonus to get you over the top. If you are trying to get in position and need SP then I might look at trading Morris before dropping him .. see what you can get first. All else fails, as long as it not a keeper league, Play to Win, even if that means dropping .. (gulp) Matt Morris.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby tjhksig » Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:03 pm

Well, I'm in first place by 4 games in a competitive league, and he has almost no value in my league now. People won't give up jack for him, but I'm sure people would love to pick him up and DL him (I would if someone dropped him in one of my other leagues).

So, I guess I'm asking is Odaliz Perez gonna help me overall and in the playoffs more than Morris will? Cause he's really the only guy I'd pick up, I'm not too keen on Lima.
tjhksig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby G-Man » Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:48 pm

until you know for sure that morris is not going to make it back before your season ends, i don't see any way you can drop him. like u said, someone will pick him up, stash him on the DL and could end up getting a handful of starts out of him (potentially at full health since this will allow his other ailments to heal) before all is said and done. there are but a few other guys who you would rather have to be starting for you once into your league's playoffs. since ur in first place u don't need to pick up odalis just so u have a SP to replace morris for the short-term, but i would prob try to drop someone to make room for him on my roster regardless....
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Jul 26, 2003 11:51 pm

[quote=

So, I guess I'm asking is Odaliz Perez gonna help me overall and in the playoffs more than Morris will? Cause he's really the only guy I'd pick up, I'm not too keen on Lima.[/quote]

Can you dl Morris and get Perez? Perez shouldnt be available. Morris struggles, make him and Perez pretty close this year anyways. I have seen 2 sites say mid august, 1 say early Sept. A healthy Perez might be a good option.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby jdh » Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:27 am

Perez (assuming it's Odalis and not Oliver), probably would give you more overall production than Morris to the end of the year. He has been fairly inconsistent this year and is nowhere near his 2002 form where he had a 3.00 ERA and 0.95 WHIP, but if you throw out 2 starts vs St.Louis and one in Coors, it would drop his numbers to around 3.40 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, which is solid. He is a good option because he plays in such a great pitchers park and has very good defense around him. However, don't expect too many wins with the gimpy LA offense.

I agree that you should DL Morris and pickup Perez if possible. If you don't have the DL slot, in a roto league, the 4 or 5 starts that Morris could provide at the end of the year probably won't warrant holding onto him. In a h2h league, it's tricky because if he comes back at playoff time he can be a huge difference maker. If you think you can still make the playoffs or hold a reasonable playoff seeding and keep him, then I would do it, but if you're in a dogfight to even make the playoffs, then you probably have to drop him.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tjhksig » Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:15 pm

Guys,

I am being screwed left and right w/ injuries. I already had to drop Kearns this week b/c Morris and Juan Gone are on the DL, plus Vidro may be going on the DL. As of now, it looks like I'm just gonna play w/ out a 2B until Vidro is OK, b/c I don't have the roster room to grab a 2B.

I'm in a h2h league, so Morris would be valuable IF he gets back by Sept. and is good again (which is iffy). I think I may have to drop him for Perez, I can't afford to keep 3 guys on the DL, which look like it will be the case. My only other option is to drop Edgar Martinez, but that would give me no one to play when Guillen serves his suspension. Dunno, I'm winning 10-0 this week so that'll gimme a little more buffer in 1st place (4 games right now), but I don't wanna miss out on my only shot at getting a decent replacement.

What to do, what to do :~(
tjhksig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:24 pm

If it makes you feel any better, in one league, I have Glaus, Morris, Sweeney, Kearns and Vidro. I just dropped Kearns, and now I don't know what to do...
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers