Poll ended at Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:24 pm

Cole Hames
41%
Chad Billingsley
59%

Total votes : 54

Hamels vs. Billingsley

Postby Tommy John » Fri May 05, 2006 5:24 pm

I know there is already a couple of threads on the two, but I thought I would throw one out to see which you would rather have

Lets see who is the more popular pick right now. I think that Hamels has greater stuff, but Billingsley should be more consistent and durable. Johan Santana vs. Roger Clemens??

I vote Billingsley based on lower risk.

Any new information on either would be great.
Tommy John
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri May 05, 2006 5:46 pm

is this just for this season or the future as well?

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tommy John » Fri May 05, 2006 7:18 pm

I was thinking for this year and the future. I think Hamels could have a spectacular but short career plagued with injury, and Billingsley a longer more consistent career.

This is assuming that both realize their potential, and become quality MLB pitchers.

The poll would be for this year and the near future.
Tommy John
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The_Met_Threat » Fri May 05, 2006 8:48 pm

Hamels has higher ceiling, Billingsly will likely panning out to be better. Hamels will probably end up with a Prior like career. Billingsly, maybe Oswalt or a good win/era combo.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tommy John » Fri May 05, 2006 10:27 pm

Anyone else want to throw in their thoughts??

Any projections on the rest of the year or comparisons??
Tommy John
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Sat May 06, 2006 3:19 am

When judging pitching prospects that both have great stuff, durability is one the next things to look at. You'd be taking a big risk if you took Hamels over Billingsley, for IMO basically the same type of pitcher (if hamels can ever stay healthy). Not to mention Billingsley has a very nice x factor, a much better pitchers park.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby The Big Train » Sat May 06, 2006 3:35 am

Flip a coin on this one. Gillick sounds as if he wants to proceed cautiously with Hamels. Gillick said he wants to wait and see how Hamels responds if he gets shelled at some point (and if that doesn't happen?). Obviously there will be changes if Madson bombs again this weekend. I'm guessing Gillick would give Franklin a shot before deciding on whether to give Hamels the call. The kid was sick in his Triple-A debut (struck out everyone in the lineup at least once, ended with 14 k's; complete game shutout his second start.) Charlie Manuel has said that he won't hesitate to nag Gillick to bring him up if he thinks he can help. I'll guess that he's here in late June.

Colletti said that Billingsley could force his own opening in the Dodgers rotation which doesn't speak highly of Tomko/Seo/Perez. (I can't figure out Perez. Three great starts and three disasters.) Colletti also said he doesn't want to bring him up only to send him right back down. I'll guess that he's here for good by the middle of June if Perez is demoted to the bullpen or traded.

Hamels will have the better offence behind him but the worse ball park and division to play in. I'll give the edge to Hamels because he seems to have already mastered that nasty changeup which could be a great out pitch. I could see either one of them doing what Matt Cain initially did when he got the call last year.

What about Jared Weaver or Mike Pelfrey??
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Sat May 06, 2006 4:18 am

[quote="The Big Train"]Flip a coin on this one. Gillick sounds as if he wants to proceed cautiously with Hamels. Gillick said he wants to wait and see how Hamels responds if he gets shelled at some point (and if that doesn't happen?). Obviously there will be changes if Madson bombs again this weekend. I'm guessing Gillick would give Franklin a shot before deciding on whether to give Hamels the call. The kid was sick in his Triple-A debut (struck out everyone in the lineup at least once, ended with 14 k's; complete game shutout his second start.) Charlie Manuel has said that he won't hesitate to nag Gillick to bring him up if he thinks he can help. I'll guess that he's here in late June.

Colletti said that Billingsley could force his own opening in the Dodgers rotation which doesn't speak highly of Tomko/Seo/Perez. (I can't figure out Perez. Three great starts and three disasters.) Colletti also said he doesn't want to bring him up only to send him right back down. I'll guess that he's here for good by the middle of June if Perez is demoted to the bullpen or traded.

Hamels will have the better offence behind him but the worse ball park and division to play in. I'll give the edge to Hamels because he seems to have already mastered that nasty changeup which could be a great out pitch. I could see either one of them doing what Matt Cain initially did when he got the call last year.

What about Jared Weaver or Mike Pelfrey??[/quote]

What about Homer Bailey? Stud stuff and can be unhittable with his curve.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 117)

Postby Tommy John » Sat May 06, 2006 1:25 pm

I don't think those guys are quite in the same class as Hamels and Billingsley.

Bailey could be in a couple of years but Pelfrey and Weaver, both great prospects, are still a notch below.
Tommy John
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Big Train » Sat May 06, 2006 9:59 pm

The Dodgers purchased the contract of Aaron Sele after Odalis Perez was placed on the bereavement list, so I'm guessing we won't see Billingsley in the immediate future.
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers