Morneau: Injured, slumping or just plain sucking? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Morneau: Injured, slumping or just plain sucking?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Morneau: Injured, slumping or just plain sucking?

Postby Niffoc4 » Fri May 05, 2006 10:55 am

I was wondering what everyone's take is on Justin Morneau. Going into last year he was everyone's favorite young sleeper (a la Hermida this year), and was supposed to hit 30 or 40 HR, with the rest of his stats being decent. Instead he has hit 6 HR and done little else. Is it still his elbow? Does he just need to find his swing? Or is he really just not that good?
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Fri May 05, 2006 11:05 am

I still think he ends up with around 30HR .275 80R 100RBI. He was one of the best players in April last year then slumped and got hurt. I think he comes around. I also think a lot of this has to do with the entire lack of offense in Min. It seems like the whole team is feeling sorry for itself. Hitting is contagious as is not hitting. He needs to cut down on the Ks though.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 120)

Postby d18Mike » Fri May 05, 2006 11:08 am

I heard a very interesting statistical discussion on MLB.com yesterday which noted that:

The high quality of Morneau's at bats and the quality of the balls he has put into play are not reflected inhis average to date. His BA should, the analysis suggest be over. 300. In short, he has been a victim of some well hit balls not falling in or defenses playing him particulary well. The "luck" factor in hitting has been very strongly against him. He's batting/hitting well -- but not getting results. (Shame I cut him a few weeks ago.) This should give Morneau owners a ray of optimism.

On the flip side, they noted that Prince Fielder should really be hitting in the .250 range, but balls have been falling in his favor.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Frances The Mute » Fri May 05, 2006 11:51 am

could you link that?
Frances The Mute
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby sockeye » Fri May 05, 2006 11:57 am

Yeah, I'd also like to see that description. Some of Morneau's other numbers suggest he just sucks so far. I'm holding onto him for now, so any glimmer of hope will help.
sockeye
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby d18Mike » Fri May 05, 2006 12:19 pm

Can't link, it was a radio program on Fantasy 411, May 4. It's during a discussion with the guy who runs the ProTrade site. You can acess it in the archive.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Rookies » Fri May 05, 2006 1:05 pm

He still looks absolutely clueless against lefties which concerns me. I get the impression that he's a slow learner and will end up being a late bloomer if he ever blooms at all.
Don't try to strike everyone out. Strikeouts are boring besides that they're fascist. Throw some ground balls it's more democratic. - Crash Davis
Rookies
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby wrveres » Fri May 05, 2006 1:10 pm

Rookies wrote:He still looks absolutely clueless against lefties which concerns me. I get the impression that he's a slow learner and will end up being a late bloomer if he ever blooms at all.

Yeah the lefties thing is why I cut him lose in a shallow league.
I have drank his kool-aid for two seasons now, and it sucks ... he needs more sugar or something .. :-o
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby Pochucker » Fri May 05, 2006 1:59 pm

I read over winter that "he doesent seem to have a passion for the game" and he does not make adjustments to way he is being pitched.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby zepfan » Fri May 05, 2006 2:01 pm

d18Mike wrote:I heard a very interesting statistical discussion on MLB.com yesterday which noted that:

The high quality of Morneau's at bats and the quality of the balls he has put into play are not reflected inhis average to date. His BA should, the analysis suggest be over. 300. In short, he has been a victim of some well hit balls not falling in or defenses playing him particulary well. The "luck" factor in hitting has been very strongly against him. He's batting/hitting well -- but not getting results. (Shame I cut him a few weeks ago.) This should give Morneau owners a ray of optimism.

I hope that's right. I've had him on my keeper team since he was called up in 2004 but I don't know how much more I can take. I even traded away Fielder thinking that Morneau would pan out but this is getting bad. I'm sure he'll become a stud as soon as I drop him though. :-[

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers