Tampa Bay Closer??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tampa Bay Closer???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby George Bell » Fri May 05, 2006 8:03 am

Even though he took the loss against the Yankees last night, Chad Orvella is the future in the Tampa Bay bullpen. While he hasn't been trusted with the job to this point, it is only a matter of time until he starts to see the majority of save chances.
The other DRay options are going to do more harm than good on your roster. Walker has shown nothing that would justify picking him up and Camp simply doesn't possess the stuff to be a closer. The 25 yr old Orvella struck out 116 in 73 2/3 IP in the minors in 2004 while walking just 10. That is closer material.
George Bell 1987 AL MVP
"Kiss my purple butt."
George Bell
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nixonforpres » Fri May 05, 2006 10:18 am

OK, George Bell, I just picked up Orvella. Anybody else think he's a good one to stash for maybe a second half string of saves?
nixonforpres
College Coach
College Coach

Postby JohnGris » Fri May 05, 2006 11:09 am

Walker has been a nightmare for both SF and TB this season.

Camp and Orvella have had their good moments but overall haven't been very good. They are less nightmarish.

I think Orvella will calm down and become much steadier soon. He's a young guy with alot of pressure on him to be the future. He has to sort through all that and get accustomed to the league. I'm banking on him, but I also have T. Jones and Rivera if Orvella doesn't work out. For me, if he (Or Villareal) works out it will just be the icing on the cake.

However, if you're counting on him in order for your team to compete in the Saves category at all, I'd try for a trade, or possibly something else that could pop up in the future with another team.

-JohnGris
JohnGris
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby beezer » Fri May 05, 2006 5:24 pm

I am also stashing Orvella. It's taking longer than I thought for him to get some save opps. He had one vs. the Yanks last week. He came in for the eighth and started the ninth and gave up back to back HR's to cut the lead to 1. Then, he got yanked and hasn't gotten a save opp since. I don't know what they could possibly be thinking giving all those other bums the save opps. It's not like TB is contending or anything. Just put the youngster in there and let him learn. Good closers blow saves sometimes and he blows one and he is done??!! I don't get it. Must be why TB is a perennial doormat.
"I feel the need. The need for speed!"
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby rainman23 » Fri May 05, 2006 5:35 pm

I really can't imagine the situation right now where I'd want any of these guys on my roster. Ok, I can -- where you have 30 man rosters so there are a half dozen guys you can sit on the bench just for spec value. If every spot on your roster is reasonably precious, though, I don't think I'd bother with Tampa Bay closers right now. Yes, you want saves. But you also want to maintain a good ERA, and a good WHIP. And you want to have a couple backup hitters on your bench for travel days. And maybe some decent starters you can pitch when they have good matchups. The point is that you can use that spot for lots of things, and to tie it up for the odd save now and then, and risk hurting you in other ways...not me. I'd at least wait until a clear closer is identified. And I wouldn't cry too hard if someone else beat me to him on the FA wire.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby brandnew » Fri May 05, 2006 5:56 pm

I thought Orvella would be good :-t
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby JohnGris » Fri May 05, 2006 10:09 pm

brandnew wrote:I thought Orvella would be good :-t

It's already been decided that he's not?
JohnGris
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby beezer » Fri May 05, 2006 10:25 pm

He has a ton of upside but he is going to have his ups and downs. He's only 25 and has to get acclimated to the big leagues, but, he is legit. Just check his minor league stats... especially his K/BB ratio. His control should get better but it might take some time.
"I feel the need. The need for speed!"
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Amazing Oopah » Sat May 06, 2006 1:46 am

Hmm, Walker works a scoreless inning, with 1k, to earn the save... could we have the makings of closer here... :-] :-b

lol, this guy is brutal. He has more blown saves than actual saves so far this season :-o
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby kugino » Sat May 06, 2006 1:19 pm

Amazing Oopah wrote:Hmm, Walker works a scoreless inning, with 1k, to earn the save... could we have the makings of closer here... :-] :-b

lol, this guy is brutal. He has more blown saves than actual saves so far this season :-o

he is brutal, but i think he might win the job if he's anywhere near mediocre then next few outings. that's how bad TB's closer situation is...

i had walker as a potential CL when benitez went down (picked up both worrell and walker) and he was brutal in SF...walked four straight in one game and all four came home (still trying to get my WHIP down from that night)...

but i picked him up again (gulp) and he'll be on my bench hoping that he gets more consistent and maybe a reliable saves guy somewhere down the road...not too optimistic, though...
kugino
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers