Burgos - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Burgos

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby d18Mike » Fri May 05, 2006 3:33 pm

I think the 2003 Tigers 49-113 season is instructive here -- it's the worst season since the advent of the modern closer role. I expect the Royals to be nearly as bad as that Tiger club.

Of the Tigers 49 Wins, 27 included a save. I can't find the number of BS, but I'll bet there were at least 10.

This is a long-winded way of saying that Burgos will still get his chances and he'll be great value if he performs respectably because he has NO competition for the role. Also, if the Royals win, they'll likely go into the 9th with less than a 3-run lead.

I'll take that off the WW anyday.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Splendid61 » Fri May 05, 2006 3:42 pm

remember brazoban last year? he was lights out as the closer first time around, then gagne came back from DL and took over closing again, then gagne got himself hurt and the dodgers wanted brazoban to close again. the second time around though, brazoban sucked, like 5+ era i think.

Do you think the Dodgers will follow a similiar strategy with the Baez situation when Gagne comes back in a month or so?

Splendid61
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ender » Fri May 05, 2006 4:37 pm

If the Dodgers were smart they'd leave Baez in as the closer for at least a month with Gagne pitching on some sort of schedule to try to get his strength back up and not get hurt. In general when it comes to injuries the Dodgers haven't been very smart in the past but maybe they have learned their lesson.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Amazing Oopah » Fri May 05, 2006 11:29 pm

Almost blew his save opp. there against the White Sox. :-°
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby DevilDriver » Fri May 05, 2006 11:37 pm

Yeah, but it's only his first terrible outing of the year...at least he got the save ;-D
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby pepperoncino » Sat May 06, 2006 5:23 pm

i guess what i don't get is that Burgos is pretty good - 100 mph, split finger, nasty stuff, has his control issues in check, and seems to have the mentality for the closer role. in other words, a perfect fit. macdougal is ok, but not long-established or special. so why make an announcement a month before he is to return that he'll regain the closer role? what's the point?
pepperoncino
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat May 06, 2006 5:29 pm

pepperoncino wrote:i guess what i don't get is that Burgos is pretty good - 100 mph, split finger, nasty stuff, has his control issues in check, and seems to have the mentality for the closer role. in other words, a perfect fit. macdougal is ok, but not long-established or special. so why make an announcement a month before he is to return that he'll regain the closer role? what's the point?

Because of experiences. Burgos is still largely unproven, thought I like what he's doing so far this year(even yesterday, considering that some of the hits are on good pitches) and think if he can keep it up(that's THE Question right now) he's ready. 1 more year in Set-up won't hurt.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers