Pronk for MVP - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pronk for MVP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby blankman » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:04 pm

Matthias wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:He won't win the MVP because he doesn't play the field (nor should he, unless his numbers just destroy everyone elses). I love him on my fantasy team though... ;-D

You hear this argument a lot but it's still always shortsighted.

Simply put, there are players who may as well not play in the field for all the damage they cause or little they do (offhand, think Kevin Millar at first base). I would agree that contributions on the field should be a consideration: if you were deciding between Ozzie Smith and Rickie Weeks and they both had similar offensive numbers, then the defensive magic of the Wizard should be the deciding factor.

But when you're talking about a DH vs. a slew of first basemen who don't do anything or some fielders like Manny who are, by turns, brilliant and make you want to tear your eyes out... just look at the #s. And if you look at the #s, Pronk is strong.

By not playing in the field, it forces the rest of your team to always play the field and when they are banged up, you have to take their bat out of the lineup or force them to play hurt in the field. You can't give them a breather at DH when you have a full-time DH. We saw this with Johnny Damon last year. He was banged up all the time and still had to go out into center. Same thing with Manny.

Being so bad in the field that you are a liability doesn't make an MVP.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:06 pm

blankman wrote:
Matthias wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:He won't win the MVP because he doesn't play the field (nor should he, unless his numbers just destroy everyone elses). I love him on my fantasy team though... ;-D

Simply put, there are players who may as well not play in the field for all the damage they cause or little they do (offhand, think Kevin Millar at first base). I would agree that contributions on the field should be a consideration: if you were deciding between Ozzie Smith and Rickie Weeks and they both had similar offensive numbers, then the defensive magic of the Wizard should be the deciding factor.

But when you're talking about a DH vs. a slew of first basemen who don't do anything or some fielders like Manny who are, by turns, brilliant and make you want to tear your eyes out... just look at the #s. And if you look at the #s, Pronk is strong.

By not playing in the field, it forces the rest of your team to always play the field and when they are banged up, you have to take their bat out of the lineup or force them to play hurt in the field. You can't give them a breather at DH when you have a full-time DH. We saw this with Johnny Damon last year. He was banged up all the time and still had to go out into center. Same thing with Manny.

Fielding doesn't win you MVPs. If that were the case Ozzie Smith should have like 15.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby brandnew » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:08 pm

Your Runs projections are really low... he's already got 50.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Matthias » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:14 pm

blankman wrote:
Matthias wrote:

I dunno: Alex Rodriguez probably would probably jump to people's minds right now as possible for AL MVP and he's sporting 10 errors, the most at his position and second-most in the American League. Tough to say that he's really helping things by being out there.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Double Play Ball » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:27 pm

Hafner defintely has the numbers, but the DH will just kill him. I would look for someone like Jeter, Manny, A-Rod, Thome or Vlad to win it this year.
Double Play Ball
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Matthias » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:33 pm

Double Play Ball wrote:Hafner defintely has the numbers, but the DH will just kill him. I would look for someone like Jeter, Manny, A-Rod, Thome or Vlad to win it this year.

Nah. I'd take a DH over a DL (Defensive Liability). See above.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby markj11 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:37 pm

Yoda wrote:Hafner's rank in the AL:

1st in R, tied for 5th in HR, 2nd in RBI, 2nd in OBP, 4th in SLG, 2nd in OPS

Thome has been arguably the best hitter in the AL so far but Pronk is quietly right up there once again.

1st in BB
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:50 am

MVP! MVP! MVP!
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:19 pm

Yoda wrote:MVP! MVP! MVP!

funny.. :,-(
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter