Pronk for MVP - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pronk for MVP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby sportsjerk » Fri May 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Ok, true, being just a DH will hurt him in the eyes of some of the voters. But, Wedge and Shapiro have both made comment to the fact that Pronk will play some 1B during interleague. If he does well then, I could see Wedge putting VMart at DH to give his legs a rest and moving Pronk to first. This may be a high count, but I think he could get 15-20 games in at 1B this season. I realize that isn't enough to consider him a 1B, but it could help in the eyes of the voters. And if he puts up the kind of numbers he is capable of, that little incentive may be enough for him to win.

Projection for Pronk: .310/42/135/105/2
sportsjerk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AT » Fri May 05, 2006 3:15 pm

Yoda wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:
cobbs87 wrote:someone want to explain to me what the heck Pronk means?

project monkey.

he has extremley large arms

Actually no. People called him donkey and some called him project. So they combined the two nicknames to come up with pronk.

Yeah I think someone called him one in Texas and the other in Cleveland so they just combined 'em.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Fri May 05, 2006 3:41 pm

Scary splits:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/698 ... 6VNRmFCLcF

His numbers at home are insane (top 3 pitcher's park) and his lefty numbers are even more insane. I would do everything in my power to get this guy if you don't already have him.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Double Play Ball » Fri May 05, 2006 5:18 pm

yea PRONK for MVP..
Here we go Tribe, here we go..
Double Play Ball
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mrmelo15 » Fri May 05, 2006 5:29 pm

Double Play Ball wrote:yea PRONK for MVP..
Here we go Tribe, here we go..

Yep, Pronk league leader in HR's this year! Haha.

Whoo-hoo! Go Tribe! ;-D
mrmelo15
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:13 am

Hafner's rank in the AL:

1st in R, tied for 5th in HR, 2nd in RBI, 2nd in OBP, 4th in SLG, 2nd in OPS

Thome has been arguably the best hitter in the AL so far but Pronk is quietly right up there once again.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:26 pm

He won't win the MVP because he doesn't play the field (nor should he, unless his numbers just destroy everyone elses). I love him on my fantasy team though... ;-D
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Matthias » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:38 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:He won't win the MVP because he doesn't play the field (nor should he, unless his numbers just destroy everyone elses). I love him on my fantasy team though... ;-D

You hear this argument a lot but it's still always shortsighted.

Simply put, there are players who may as well not play in the field for all the damage they cause or little they do (offhand, think Kevin Millar at first base). I would agree that contributions on the field should be a consideration: if you were deciding between Ozzie Smith and Rickie Weeks and they both had similar offensive numbers, then the defensive magic of the Wizard should be the deciding factor.

But when you're talking about a DH vs. a slew of first basemen who don't do anything or some fielders like Manny who are, by turns, brilliant and make you want to tear your eyes out... just look at the #s. And if you look at the #s, Pronk is strong.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blankman » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:54 pm

nsulham wrote:Maybe I'm just biased but if Ortiz didn't win the MVP last year as a DH, Hafner won't this year, UNLESS he surpasses Ortiz's numbers from a year ago and also doesn't face the kind of competition Ortiz had in A-Rod.

For a DH to win it he'd have to have numbers substantially greater than that of a position player I'm afraid so if someone is close to or better than Hafner come season's end, he won't win it.

That's what I was thinking.

As long as he's a DH, he's going to be hard-pressed to win.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby blankman » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:56 pm

sportsjerk wrote:Ok, true, being just a DH will hurt him in the eyes of some of the voters. But, Wedge and Shapiro have both made comment to the fact that Pronk will play some 1B during interleague. If he does well then, I could see Wedge putting VMart at DH to give his legs a rest and moving Pronk to first. This may be a high count, but I think he could get 15-20 games in at 1B this season. I realize that isn't enough to consider him a 1B, but it could help in the eyes of the voters. And if he puts up the kind of numbers he is capable of, that little incentive may be enough for him to win.

Projection for Pronk: .310/42/135/105/2

Playing interleague games won't do anything for his sole-DH status. Ortiz did that last year.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers