Ethical commish move? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ethical commish move?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ethical commish move?

Postby shmolex » Thu May 04, 2006 4:12 pm

So in my league, a trade involving the commissioner was vetoed. 5 minutes after it gets vetoed the commish adds/drops a bunch of guys, pushing the notice that the trade was vetoed off the front page. Then, the exact same trade goes through again. I post a message on the league message board pointing this out and my message is deleted within 30 minutes. The way it looks now to the casual observer is that it is still the first trade that is pending, so I dont think the people who vetoed it the first time will veto it again.

I was thinking of emailing the league but I dont really want to come off as a rat and the trade isn't really that incredibly lopsided. It would however, make the commissioner's team virtually unbeatable. What should I do?
shmolex
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Thu May 04, 2006 4:14 pm

I would keep posting the same thing you did in your leagues' message board. If he keeps deleteing it then keep posting it!! ;-D

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Matthias » Thu May 04, 2006 4:21 pm

In order of escalation:
1) Email the commish and try to resolve it quietly
2) Email the league and call shaningans
3) Quit the league and insult the commish's parentage, intelligence, and body odor
4) Firebomb his house

Ok. Just kidding about the firebombing part. That's a little extreme. Sort of.

It's not going to be worthwhile to spend the rest of the season in a league where the commissioner is playing monkey business. And even if the trade wasn't that bad, it was vetoed and him trying to make that fact go away is dirty dealings. And deleting someone else's messages calling out your misdeeds is always doubly bad. Try to resolve it civilly, but if you can't, don't stick around because it's like the girl with the cheating boyfriend: she keeps hoping that he'll change, and he'll tell her that he's going to change, and he'll act nice when he's not cheating, but he'll cheat.

Play nice or not at all.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Zito is God » Thu May 04, 2006 4:31 pm

Email the whole league and if not resolved quit the league.

You don't need to be wasting time with leagues where the commish abuses his power and collusion is obviously a factor. However if he can prove there is no collusion then it is the leagues for fault for vetoeing in the first place.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby shmolex » Thu May 04, 2006 4:31 pm

well, after my message was deleted, the commish PMed me and basically explained that he wasn't the one who proposed the trade and that he thought it was fair. He then tries to guilt me into not saying anything.

and quitting isn't really an option seeing as this is a money league and I've already paid...
shmolex
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mikhayl » Thu May 04, 2006 4:32 pm

Looks to me like there's two issues here. An unethical veto and an unethical abuse of power from the commissioner. It is not right to veto a trade just to prevent a team from getting better. I think what the commissioner did is worse, but he wouldn't even have had to sidestep the veto if you guys didn't veto it in the first place.

I think they cancel each other out.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Zito is God » Thu May 04, 2006 4:33 pm

If that is the case then the league is wrong for vetoeing in the first place.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Thu May 04, 2006 4:36 pm

mikhayl wrote:Looks to me like there's two issues here. An unethical veto and an unethical abuse of power from the commissioner. It is not right to veto a trade just to prevent a team from getting better. I think what the commissioner did is worse, but he wouldn't even have had to sidestep the veto if you guys didn't veto it in the first place.

I think they cancel each other out.

Bogus.

NO.

There's a veto process. If a trade is vetoed, I don't care what the underlying fairness of it was, it was vetoed. I've seen enough shady moves justified on this board on the grounds of, "Once the league is setup, you have no right to complain" to make me ill. But that's all this is.

There is a veto process.
The trade was vetoed.
The trade is therefore vetoed.
Further shaningans to get the trade unvetoed is shady.
Further dirty dealings to keep everying quiet is completely shady.

Sorry: it's just very simple and the answer above is simply wrong.
Last edited by Matthias on Thu May 04, 2006 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby shmolex » Thu May 04, 2006 4:36 pm

just to get your guys' opinion, would you have vetoed?

Tejada
Prior

for

Rollins
Lidge
Harden
shmolex
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Thu May 04, 2006 4:38 pm

Whether or not I would have vetoed doesn't matter.

I'm not in your league.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers