Johnny Gomes...Whats worng? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Johnny Gomes...Whats worng?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby diesel99xx » Thu May 04, 2006 10:28 pm

I heard part of the reason he is getting traded is because he lost a bat throwing contest to Delmon Young

LOL, now that's some funny talk!
diesel99xx
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rhino Tuff » Thu May 04, 2006 11:41 pm

Gomes was only 3-4 tonight with 2 singles, a double, and a RBI, this guy is fading fast... :-o
Rhino Tuff
College Coach
College Coach

Postby converge241 » Thu May 04, 2006 11:52 pm

gomes will be fine just think about how he has done without lugo, huff in the lineup plus at some point rocco will be added

hes been trying all year to cut back on the k's and has been hitting well

you probably didnt pay a high price for him so just sit back and enjoy him he should be a solid contributor in your league..just dont let some of his spurts go to your head
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby NikkiSixx » Fri May 05, 2006 12:09 am

Gomes just got himself into a mini-slump, and he broke out of it tonight. 4 bad games and you worry about him? No need to worry about Gomes, you will get your .275-.285 avg. with your 30-35 HR's out of him.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 433)

Postby mrmelo15 » Fri May 05, 2006 12:23 am

Rhino Tuff wrote:Gomes was only 3-4 tonight with 2 singles, a double, and a RBI, this guy is fading fast... :-o

Heeee. Yeah, I don't think its fair comparing him to Shelton. Perhaps I'm underestimating Shelton a bit...but I think he just may have pulled a Tino Martinez start from last year. ;-)
mrmelo15
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Rhino Tuff » Fri May 05, 2006 1:12 am

I even think Shelton will bounce back but he isn't Jonny Gomes either...
Rhino Tuff
College Coach
College Coach

Postby converge241 » Fri May 05, 2006 7:33 am

i forgot cantu coming back as well
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby JakeTrain72 » Sat May 06, 2006 8:43 am

yep, get your D-Rays now! (Gomes will be BETTER in the 2nd half)

LF-Crawford
CF-Baldelli
RF/DH-Gomes
3B-Wiggington
SS-Lugo
2B-Cantu
1B/DH-Huff
C-Hall

I think those are nice pieces for creating a productive lineup. The 2nd half from Tampa players is promising.

Gomes has taken a stride with his OBP and K/BB rate that is allowing him to get better pitches. As the lineup around him gets better with guys returning from injury he should see better pitches (if he maintains decent plate discipline) and more RBI opps and more Runs scored. I'd say you have about two maybe three weeks to get him before his value goes up even higher.
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Loveable Losers » Sat May 06, 2006 12:04 pm

NikkiSixx wrote:Gomes just got himself into a mini-slump, and he broke out of it tonight. 4 bad games and you worry about him? No need to worry about Gomes, you will get your .275-.285 avg. with your 30-35 HR's out of him.

Couldn't agree more. He's not the hitter he was over the first 3 weeks or so of the season but he's not going to suddenly become a scrub either.

Also, just because you project a guy for 30 home runs and he hits 10 in the first month doesn't mean he's 'used up' 10 of his 30 home runs and will only hit 20 the rest of the way. If you projected 30 home runs to begin with then you expect him to hit about 5 home runs per month. If he hits 10 in the first month instead of 5 then you don't automatically downgrade his skills for the rest of the year. You still expect him to hit 25 home runs the rest of the way (5 per month) for a new total of 35 home runs. Ditto for Shelton...I had him projected in the low 30's in home runs so now I'd say he could end up in the high 30's thanks to a nice cushion from the first month. He still has low 30's skills...he just has a cushion to work with now.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby cordscords » Sat May 06, 2006 12:34 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:Gomes just got himself into a mini-slump, and he broke out of it tonight. 4 bad games and you worry about him? No need to worry about Gomes, you will get your .275-.285 avg. with your 30-35 HR's out of him.

Couldn't agree more. He's not the hitter he was over the first 3 weeks or so of the season but he's not going to suddenly become a scrub either.

Also, just because you project a guy for 30 home runs and he hits 10 in the first month doesn't mean he's 'used up' 10 of his 30 home runs and will only hit 20 the rest of the way. If you projected 30 home runs to begin with then you expect him to hit about 5 home runs per month. If he hits 10 in the first month instead of 5 then you don't automatically downgrade his skills for the rest of the year. You still expect him to hit 25 home runs the rest of the way (5 per month) for a new total of 35 home runs. Ditto for Shelton...I had him projected in the low 30's in home runs so now I'd say he could end up in the high 30's thanks to a nice cushion from the first month. He still has low 30's skills...he just has a cushion to work with now.

A sharp increase in production usually follows with a sharp decrease in production. Gomes is going to have a month where he probably hits 2 or 3 HR (I'm not sure if you read my sell high on jonny gomes thread) so while he does not "use up" his projected HR total, it falls back into the range where he was supposed to.

When he goes balistic for 2 months, just like Shelton, then you can alter your final projections.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers