RP strategy for the rest of the season - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

RP strategy for the rest of the season

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

RP strategy for the rest of the season

Postby mak1277 » Thu May 04, 2006 8:53 am

I'm in a 9-team NL-only keeper league. 5x5 league, standard Yahoo rosters.

As it stands, I only have one viable closer (Mike Gonzo). I had grabbed Worrell earlier, but I am still currently 7th out of 9 in saves. One team in the league has no closers, so I will only drop one more point (at worst) in this cat. Should I go ahead and punt, and try and trade Gonzo for some value, or should I hang on to him and hope to snag "this year's Turnbow"?

I think this is more of a general strategy question, but if it really belongs in the trade/waivers forum, I apologize.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby firemanx » Thu May 04, 2006 10:31 pm

i to have this same thing in my 12 team league and traded away Wickman for zach duke in a keeper league
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2356864#2356864

firemanx
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Arlo » Fri May 05, 2006 4:39 pm

Unless you get an offer that you truly can't refuse, I'd probably hang on to Gonzalez and hope to add another fireman in the near future. In your format, adding a second closer would presumably make quite a difference in the standings.

What to do might depend on how free agents are acquired in your league, of course. If you're already on a tight FAAB budget, for example, punting the category might make more sense than hoping a low bid on a potential closer-in-waiting somehow goes through.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby johnsamo » Fri May 05, 2006 11:56 pm

Gonzo ain't exactly great trade bait right now... wait till the Pirates have a mini-hot streak and he get's a lot of saves in a row, then do a deal.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JakeTrain72 » Sat May 06, 2006 9:02 am

my guess is that you won't bring back a player that will make a huge difference in another category. But I'd guess adding 15-25 saves would possibly move you up. Keep in mind that other teams may lose thier closers and stunt thier growth in that category. Too early to punt, keep scouting the WW and revisit this later. Remember the trade deadline could create some saves for a few guys as well.
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Snake99 » Sat May 06, 2006 10:20 am

I'm in the same type of situation, considering punting saves, but will hold off for another month - closers are extremely volitile, I think that if you watch the waver wire you will be able to find another closer
Snake99
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Yoda » Sat May 06, 2006 10:29 am

This is the first year I have dealt with closers/relievers blowing up. I currently have Guardy, Borowski, Jenks and picked up Wheeler last night. I used Devine, Cotts and Otsuka (dropped before he was handed the job). Needless to say I am very close to punting saves in hopes of preserving my ERA/WHIP.

I'm hanging on until the end of the month. Then I'll assess how my closer situation is and decide whether to trade them all in a package to upgrade elsewhere or hang onto them.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers