Roger Clemens update

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Roger Clemens update

Postby D-Store » Wed May 03, 2006 10:47 pm

05/02/2006 7:47 PM ET
Astros meet with Clemens' agents
Offer on table, but Rocket not committed to returning in '06
By Jim Molony / MLB.com

HOUSTON -- Astros general manager Tim Purpura and owner Drayton McLane Jr. met with the agents for Roger Clemens on Tuesday to discuss a contract proposal the Astros submitted to the seven-time Cy Young Award winner.
"This was our first meeting. Basically, it was a chance to sit down and go over the preliminary offer we submitted to [agents Randy and Alan Hendricks]," Purpura said. "I thought it went fine, but there's not a lot to report because Roger still hasn't made a decision [as to whether he will pitch in 2006 or retire]. If he does decide to come back, obviously we'd love to have him, and we've made very clear our interest in having him back."

Monday marked the first day the Astros could begin negotiations with Clemens, who is being courted by four teams: the Astros, Yankees, Red Sox and Rangers. Because the Astros did not offer Clemens arbitration in December, Major League Baseball rules dictate they were barred from negotiating with him until May 1.

The Astros didn't waste time once the negotiating window opened. The proposal was submitted on Monday and the two sides -- minus Clemens, who did not attend -- met face-to-face on Tuesday.

"It was a good meeting," Purpura said. "I think they have a clear picture of where we're at and what the possibilities are should Roger decide to pitch again."

Purpura will not discuss contract numbers, but Clemens made $18 million last season, the largest single-season contract for a pitcher in Major League history. Though any 2006 deal with Clemens would be prorated, Purpura said Monday it would be very difficult for a player of Clemens' stature coming off a season like the one Clemens had to take a paycut.

Clemens made $3 million per month for the six months of the regular season last year, and that figure could be a starting point for negotiations this time.

Hendricks said last week his client does not intend to pitch in May. The Astros are prepared to wait as long as it takes for Clemens, whether it's June, July or August.

Purpura said no timetable exists for a decision from Clemens and that no other meetings have been planned with the Hendricks brothers. The Astros have made their pitch, and will now wait for the Rocket.

"Randy's perception was if he [Clemens] does come back, it will certainly be before the All-Star Break [July 10-12]," Purpura said. "We'd love to have him back sooner rather than later, but we're not opposed to waiting [beyond July] if that's what it takes
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=201600
D-Store
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mikebal9 » Thu May 04, 2006 11:50 am

Strategy question about this....
For people like me who have kept Clemens this long...is it time to deal him for a big name or do we keep holding on? Any opinions from other owners?
mikebal9
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby ivanhack » Thu May 04, 2006 12:34 pm

I have Clemens in one of my leagues and I'm assuming that he signs with Houston and starts some time in June.

So if you're going to trade him, ask for a big name in return.

I think Clemens has more value right now in head to head leagues.
ivanhack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bAsKeTcAsE86 » Fri May 05, 2006 7:54 pm

ivanhack wrote:I have Clemens in one of my leagues and I'm assuming that he signs with Houston and starts some time in June.

So if you're going to trade him, ask for a big name in return.

I think Clemens has more value right now in head to head leagues.

Yeah he is definitely more valuable for those of us playing in head-to-head leagues. One of the teams in my league who had Clemens on his team accepted a trade offer of Jon Garland (inconsistency personified) for The Rocket straight-up. Needless to say, the trade was protested within 20 minutes by 5 other teams and vetoed...
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe
bAsKeTcAsE86
College Coach
College Coach

Postby D-Store » Fri May 05, 2006 8:14 pm

I didn't draft him at all, but I've been picking him up in all my leagues that he is an FA in. Clemens has to much love for the game to quit. He will pitch as long as he is physically able. IMO
D-Store
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby D-Store » Sun May 07, 2006 4:49 pm

Roger Clemens, SP HOU

News: According to reports in the Houston Chronicle, Roger Clemens has been offered upward of $12 million to pitch for the Astros for the remainder of the season. But no deal is imminent as the Astros join the Rangers, Yankees and Red Sox in the waiting game. "Right now, that horse named retirement is still in the lead," his agent, Randy Hendricks, told the Chronicle.

Analysis: Clemens looks like he will continue to take his time to decide on when he pitches in 2006. All four of the teams rumored to be interested have a legit shot at competing, which should drive up the price and extend the courtship(s). Consider Clemens useless in Fantasy leagues until June at this point.
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=201600
D-Store
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Senator Blutarsky » Tue May 09, 2006 5:23 pm

Well good for him.... Bad for me and my hurting roster in fantasy land!! !+)
Senator Blutarsky
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Krunk City King$ » Sun May 14, 2006 11:00 pm

Baseball
June return for Roger Clemens?

May 10, 2006

If Clemens signs with Astros, he could face Cubs or Sox in debut

The Houston Astros have provided free-agent pitcher Roger Clemens with target days for his 2006 debut should he re-sign with the team, and those dates could put him in line for a coming-out party in Chicago.

Clemens told KRIV-TV in Houston on Tuesday that in talks with Astros owner Drayton McLane Jr. and general manager Tim Purpura, a mid- to late June return is preferred.

''Tim and Drayton gave me two dates, if I do choose to be back, they would like me back by,'' Clemens said. ''So there are target dates out there, and they're in June.''

Clemens didn't provide the specific dates. The Astros are scheduled to play a three-game series against the Cubs at Wrigley Field on June 13-15. They return to Chicago for a three-game series against the White Sox -- a rematch of the 2005 World Series -- at U.S. Cellular Field on June 23-25.

Clemens is deciding among four teams: the Astros, New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox and Texas Rangers. Speculation is high that he will re-sign with the Astros, who reportedly have offered him a $20 million contract in which the prorated amount would equal about $11.67million if he returns June 15.

Chris De Luca

http://www.suntimes.com/output/baseball ... ens10.html

Roger Clemens' Family Offers Him One-Year, $10 Million Contract

May 11, 2006 | Onion Sports

HOUSTON—Representatives from the Clemens family met with the star pitcher over an informal dinner Tuesday evening to discuss the possibility of keeping Roger Clemens home for one more season, sources close to the family reported.
Enlarge ImageRoger-Clemens.jpg

Roger Clemens meets with three members of the Clemens organization.

Baseball analysts are calling the one-year, $10 million contract a last-ditch effort on the family's part to bring the seven-time Cy Young Award winner and three-time World's Greatest Dad back to his roots.

"It's hard to put a dollar amount on what Roger has historically meant to this family," said Clemens' wife Debbie, who has been handling most of the negotiations. "Many of the younger members of this organization really look up to Roger—growing up, he was their hero. Now Roger has the chance to be a kind of mentor to guys like Kacy and Kody. They have really been lacking the strong veteran presence that's so crucial at this point in their careers."

"We need you, Roger," Debbie added. "Please come home."

According to reports, the contract is a one-year deal with a family option for a second year should Clemens perform well in his new role as husband and father. Much of the $10 million will be deferred to allow the family to accommodate his other demands, particularly the custom recliner and the vanity plates for his Hummer. According to Debbie, this contract is nearly identical to the one Clemens signed to join the family initially.

The incentive-laden deal includes a signing bonus of $2 million, and gives Clemens the chance to earn an extra $3 million if he makes an appearance in at least 25 family game nights over the course of the summer, plus an additional $250,000 every time he plays a regulation round of catch with one of his sons. Under the terms of the contract, Clemens would not be obligated to attend away visits to Debbie's mother's house.

Debbie added that the family would have the right to terminate the contract at any point, however, should Clemens ever get caught cheating.

Some experts say that the aging right-hander is no longer focused or dedicated enough to be a leader in the household. However, many maintain that, should Clemens decide to rejoin his wife and children, he will quickly adjust to handling the responsibility and expectations that come with a lucrative contract.

"Roger Clemens would be a great addition to this family," analyst Jayson Stark said. "He can really work with those young kids as they develop and mature, and teach them everything he knows. Although the family probably isn't looking for him to fill a role-model-type position, it couldn't hurt to have a guy like him around to be there for them after they've had a rough outing. Those kinds of experiences are invaluable."
Clemens’ Other Offers

Some analysts, however, say the Houston Astros, who last week formally offered him a $12 million deal, have the strongest chance of landing the pitcher, as Clemens himself has said that the most important thing for him right now is "being close to home."

"At this stage in his career, Roger Clemens is interested in winning, and I think it's safe to say that his family has no chance of even getting to the World Series," analyst Peter Gammons said. "The Astros organization is full of familiar faces, people with whom he has grown unusually close, and I get the sense that the people there truly care about him. You can't find that sort of unconditional love just anywhere."

"And when you think about it, $12 million is an awful lot of money," Gammons added.

Clemens' agent Randy Hendricks said that, although the family does present a lot of advantages that other teams simply cannot offer, Clemens is still undecided about where and with whom he wants to spend the 2006 season.

"They gave a fair offer, and these folks are certainly in the running," Hendricks said. "Roger is keeping all his options open for now, and I'm sure that, just as they have in the past, his family will be supportive of whatever decision he ultimately makes."

Clemens has refused to address speculation that his recent visits to the family have been an attempt to coax more money out of competing organizations.

Some experts, such as Baseball Tonight's Buster Olney, say that the Clemens family is the clear frontrunner to acquire the pitcher, pointing out that Clemens has been working out at the family's Houston-based facility during the winter and spring months. According to Olney, it would be "a homecoming of sorts" for the native Texan, who would relish the opportunity to return to the organization he once helped build from scratch.

"Sure, Roger may have created a rift with these people, who once claimed to be his 'biggest fans,' but he now has a chance to rectify all that and see his career come full circle," said Olney, noting that if Clemens doesn't take his family's offer now, that opportunity might not present itself again. "He has a shared emotional bond with them that he has only previously experienced with the Red Sox, maybe the Yanks."

"Whether he likes it or not, Roger Clemens is practically a part of this family," Olney added.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/48399
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Injuries & Player Updates