DY headed to Erie for rehab stint. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

DY headed to Erie for rehab stint.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

DY headed to Erie for rehab stint.

Postby Dannomyte » Wed May 03, 2006 10:36 am

DETROIT - After almost three full weeks on the disabled list, Dmitri Young is ready to return.

As an Erie SeaWolf.

Young, out since April 15 with a strained right quadriceps, has agreed to go on a rehabilitation assignment that will likely last two games. He could rejoin the Detroit Tigers as soon as Friday night in Minnesota.

"I told him, `When you're right, we want you back, but don't be afraid to stay an extra day if you need it," manager Jim Leyland said before the Tigers' 4-1 win over Kansas City Tuesday night. "When he's in there, we're going to need production."

Leyland strongly encouraged Young to accept the rehab assignment, which veteran players have a right to reject. Leyland believes that position players need a short time in the minor leagues after a stint on the DL, while pitchers can accomplish the same thing with a simulated game.

"If it was me, I'd want to get some at-bats," Leyland said. "I'm not really sure eight at-bats is enough."

Don't take that as criticism of Young. Actually, Leyland was happy that his designated hitter agreed to go to Erie.

"Dmitri was great," Leyland said. "He came in here (to the manager's office) like a man. He said he had talked to his teammates, and that they encouraged him to get some at-bats.

"I'm tickled, but I think it will be to his benefit."

The Tigers haven't decided how they'll make room for Young on the roster, but one possibility is to go with 11 pitchers and send rookie Jordan Tata to the minors to start. Tata could be headed to the minor leagues, anyway, because Matt Mantei has pitched well in two appearances for Triple-A Toledo and could join the Tigers at some point soon.

"It would probably be more beneficial in the long haul to have (Tata) out starting," Leyland said. "But we haven't reached that point yet."

If it's not Tata, the most likely candidates to be sent out would be outfielder Alexis Gomez or Ramon Santiago, the second utility infielder.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/stories/ind ... xml&coll=1
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Wed May 03, 2006 1:14 pm

It should be interesting to see who they will ship down. I almost wonder if Tata wouldn't be the better choice. Not that I feel Gomez deserves a spot, but Tata would be better served if he were getting more work. Since they have him slated as a starter in the future and the pen is doing well they could afford to send him down. He got a real nice taste of the show and that can only help him. Now he needs to pitch, and the Tigers starters haven't sucked enough to be beneficial to Tata.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu May 04, 2006 2:43 pm

I think Tata will be sent down when(if) they decide to recall Matt Mantei or one of the other guys doing a good job down in Toledo. Short term running with a smaller bullpen probably won't hurt, but they'll more than likely need it sooner or later. All teams do. At some point, they might want to watch Verlander's innings as well, although I don't know if they will have that concern or not, but I think it is something that should be on their minds. I'd like to see him as fresh as possible down the stretch. (Not that any other pitcher named Robertson is prone to fading downt he stretch as well, haha).

But definitely, Tata should be starting in the minors. He seems to me to mostly be a garbage time pitcher or middle innings filler as it is, so why not? But aside from too many walks, he is contributing well NOW albeit possibly not at the greatest decision for his future.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Fri May 05, 2006 2:39 pm

Maybe they could send Tata down to build up his stregnth and work on whatever pitches he needs to refine so he can some up in late August/Sept when they can sit V. Though I would love to see them do that with Z instead, but I cannot complain about how they are currently being used.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Detroit Tigers