Nady sent down to minors - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Nady sent down to minors

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Nady sent down to minors

Postby wrveres » Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:55 am

didn't see this one coming .. X Nady .. sent down. Wow. :-o

Guess it's time to get Nevin. I have him on one team and will have first dib's as Nady's replacement on another. But still .. shock. 8-o
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:55 am

I'll admit that I'm a little suprised as well. :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Arlo » Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:30 am

I'm also a bit surprised, but he was slumping pretty badly. All things considered. Nady will be back... :-)
Last edited by Arlo on Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby King Tim » Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:14 am

Hey wrveres, you are our Padres guru...........whats the word on Jason Bay? I can't find much info on him
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Super GM » Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:17 am

Well, I'm not werveres and I'm definately not a Padres guru, but I might be able to help you anyway! :-)

Jason Bay (wrist) is scheduled to begin a rehab assignment with Triple-A Portland on Sunday, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune.
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Super GM » Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:33 am

Jason Bay, one of the Padres' top prospects, is creating excitement within the organization by hitting home runs to all fields, off a variety of pitchers, playing well in the outfield and stealing bases.

In his latest feat, Bay proved rust-proof. The Canadian outfielder, undeterred by a fractured wrist that cut short his time with the Padres, came back from a 41-game hiatus to hit four home runs in seven games with Class AAA Portland.

"This guy didn't skip a beat, and that's hard to find," said Tye Waller, the Padres' director of player development. "That shows me something about his mental toughness. He's showing, 'Hey, I'm going to get back to the big leagues.' "

In spring training, manager Bruce Bochy said Bay, 24, could become a regular, not just a nice extra.

Bay responded with 14 home runs and a .302 batting average in his first 179 at-bats with Portland. He impressed the Padres over three games in late May, going 2-for-8 with a home run (off Arizona closer Matt Mantei) before Elmer Dessens' fastball fractured a wrist.

General manager Kevin Towers likens Bay to Kevin McReynolds, one of the best outfielders in Padres history. Last August, Towers obtained Bay from the Mets for reliever Steve Reed.

"Bay has power to all fields," Waller said. "I don't know what he did this winter as far as his strength, as far as allowing him to drive ball out to all fields, but his confidence is at an all-time high. He's so quiet at the plate and under control. It's like he's aged three years in the wintertime."

There, hope that's enough info! For further Padres info wrveres is your man! ;-D
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby flloyd » Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:41 am

I think there are two reason's for Nady's demotion. One was to clear room for Nevin's return to the OF. And two is that it could have something to do with all of the talk of Brian Giles going to the Padres.

Just my thoughts.
flloyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Super GM » Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:53 am

Yeah, but to get Giles they would have to send Rondell White. They don't have the payroll to keep both of them. I think they just wanna get Nady some intensive practice in the minors and get him hitting again.
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Juhlz » Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:01 pm

Nady will benefit himself and the team by playing back in the minors while Nevin anchors right field. He also needs some fielding work and shorten his swing.
Juhlz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers