Pitching Strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pitching Strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pitching Strategy

Postby GSOE » Tue May 02, 2006 10:19 pm

Has anyone ever tried picking up a handful of good middle relievers and trading some of your starting pitching for hitters? I know Wins would take a serious hit but if you could get some talent on offense and win all the offensive categories would it be worth it? It would seem like Relievers would be able to give you good K, WHIP, ERA, and Save stats. anyone every tried this? Im 50 innings over the max and was thinking this strategy over. I am currently in first place in my 10 team 5x5 roto league. Which relievers would you look for?
GSOE Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby os_gamejunkie » Tue May 02, 2006 10:24 pm

I had Duchscherer for awhile, and I got 2 vulture wins and saves. JJ Putz is good, Chad Qualls, Liriano and Looper are nice as well.
os_gamejunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ficerarmer » Tue May 02, 2006 10:25 pm

I'm doing that in my H2H league this year. I drafted two starters (Peavy and Randy Johnson), and filled the rest of my slots with relievers. K-Rod, Turnbow, Duchscherer, Mike Gonzalez, Gagne, and Scot Shields. The thing is my league has an odd setup: only 15 innings requirement each week, and the categories are W, L, CG, SHO, SV, HR, K, TB, ERA, WHIP. I was very fortunate to pick up Papelbon as well.

Basically my strategy was, if i throw peavy and/or johnson out there for whatever start looks most appealing that week, my other relievers can eat up the rest of the innings, and over the course of the season I should normally win categories like SV, HR, TB, ERA, and Whip without much struggle. Wins and losses are also possible to win, as are CG & SHO since they're so random.

Anyways I ended up trading Turnbow for Beltran (yeah... i know) and my strategy is working pretty well thus far. In my opinion, scot shields is a very valuable player, especially if your league has holds.
Ficerarmer Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby dawgs2010 » Tue May 02, 2006 10:38 pm

My new pitching strategy is to rotate the pitcher facing the Royals and then drop him.
dawgs2010
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby $ » Tue May 02, 2006 10:55 pm

My new pitching strategy is to rotate the pitcher facing the Royals and then drop him.

:-b Are you seriously doing this? Is it working well for you? The Royals are looking pretty pitiful... It would be kind of interesting to see what kind of pitching stats you've gotten from this.
$
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue May 02, 2006 11:34 pm

Duaner Sanchez is a nice boost for your ratios too.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby bluejkrew » Wed May 03, 2006 3:07 am

It's a huge gamble. The thing is if just ONE of your relievers goes through a rough stretch, then your ERA and WHIP will be skewed. You can always choose who you think is the most reliable middle relievers, but if one or two turn out to be a bust, then youre in trouble.

It might be a good idea to hold onto a couple aces if you can for insurance in buffering your era/whip
bluejkrew
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers