Jeter is a post-hype sleeper - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeter is a post-hype sleeper

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jeter is a post-hype sleeper

Postby reynolds80 » Tue May 02, 2006 6:01 pm

I never thought it would be the case, but in my league, Jeter was overlooked because every fantasy magazine and source says "avoid high-profile Yankees and Red Sox because their national hype will make their price higher than their production"...

Well, now it appears that we've overshot the mark. Jeter made a good value on my team, because everyone had other plans for shortstop on draft day - they thought they'd get good value on Reyes, Lopez or someone else they thought would be flying under the radar.. meanwhile, Jeter seemed to get lost in the shuffle.

He's having a heck of a season. He's 32 but I knew he wasn't anywhere near done. A player as athletic as Jeter tends to age gracefully, and Jeter has really sharpened his batting eye over the last year and a half. His OBP was nearly .400 last year and is over .500 so far this year.

He walked 46 times in 2004, then 77 times in 2005, and is on pace to walk over 100 times in 2006. He's also on pace for over 80 extra base hits. He hits in a great lineup. Jeter seems to be evolving as a hitter, and I like where this is going.
reynolds80
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dyuen87 » Tue May 02, 2006 6:07 pm

I heard a bit on him on YES that's really making me stick with Jeter for the year. They said in his career, he's always been a slow starter. But this year, because of the WBC, he had to start his ST earlier. Those who watched the WBC saw Jeter struggle with the bat, usually that's the beginning of the year, but now he's closer to his mid-season form. I know he won't bat close to .400 all year, but he has a legitimate chance to contend for the batting title this year. ;-D
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Ender » Tue May 02, 2006 6:20 pm

Jeter has been underrated each of the past 2 seasons for some reason. He's going a full round later than a guy like Rollins and will likely put up better stats.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Laean » Tue May 02, 2006 6:42 pm

Ender wrote:Jeter has been underrated each of the past 2 seasons for some reason. He's going a full round later than a guy like Rollins and will likely put up better stats.

i wish that'd happen in my league.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby fantasyfan13 » Tue May 02, 2006 7:55 pm

In my keeper league where we keep 6 players, Jeter wasn't even one of the keepers. So I was able to draft him in the 7th round, which is working out quite nicely.
fantasyfan13
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue May 02, 2006 7:57 pm

Got Jeter in the 4th round, right after someone selected Reyes. Needless to say, I'm happy. I projected him to be the #3 SS behind Tejada and Young, despite people consistently taking Rollins, Reyes and even guys like Furcal/Peralta over him.

He's actually become quite an underrated player in fantasy circles.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)

Postby bleach168 » Tue May 02, 2006 8:02 pm

ESPN player rater:

1. Tejada
2. Jeter
3. Reyes

9. Young

14. Rollins
15. Peralta

20. Furcal

I think by the end of the season, you'll see Reyes ranked #1 and Jeter #2.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue May 02, 2006 8:05 pm

I don't know, I still think he's overrated, especially for fantasy purposes. He's really only a strong 2 category contributer (average and runs). He does the other things ok (moderate power, a few steals, some RBIs), but nothing that sticks out.

I want to go one of two ways with SS. Power (Young/Tejada/Peralta), which would allow me take someone like Pods or Pierre. Or speed (Reyes/Rollins/Furcal/Lugo). Doesn't really matter which. I guess if you can get Jeter and a few other guys who will moderately produce across all categories you'll be ok...

Anyway, I'm not as high on him as others seem to be, and that's ok. :-)
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Rubidium » Tue May 02, 2006 8:12 pm

He went 4.3 in my league, and Rollins went 3.6. I think they'll put up similar numbers by the end of the year (Jeter better in average, Rollins better in SB, small differences in everything else), so, while Jeter is the better deal, I'm not sure I'd call him too underrated.

That was just my league though. If he's going several rounds later (as in fantasyfan's draft), I'd definitely agree. I just haven't had that experience.
Rubidium
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mathias » Tue May 02, 2006 9:49 pm

He also happens to be one of the most consistent players out there, key for fantasy. People love to say he sucks in fantasy, but you know exactly what to expect from him. You'll get a high average, somewhere around 20-20, and 200 runs produced.
mathias
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers