Cole Hamels is ready - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cole Hamels is ready

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ravenmad22 » Fri May 05, 2006 3:12 am

Wow. Everything I hear says this kid could be something real special.

I really don't understand the idea that he'll somehow be more injury prone in the Majors than in the Minors. If you limit his pitch counts to 90-100 or so in the Majors, won't he be just as likely to stay healthy as if you limited him in the minors?

Mentally, if he's not ready, I can understand... but when you're trying to win ballgames and this kid is dominating AAA hitters... well, it's time to think about moving madson to relief where he has excelled and giving this stud a chance.
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby echrisl » Fri May 05, 2006 6:29 am

hoya1982 wrote:Looks like he might be up sooner rather than later.

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/14487172.htm

Reading that article reminded me how much I hate Pat Gillick ...

Yep, that's right, me and Boomer both ... ;-)
Using a key to gouge expletives on another's vehicle is a sign of trust and friendship.
echrisl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Matthias » Fri May 05, 2006 9:57 am

ravenmad22 wrote:Wow. Everything I hear says this kid could be something real special.

I really don't understand the idea that he'll somehow be more injury prone in the Majors than in the Minors. If you limit his pitch counts to 90-100 or so in the Majors, won't he be just as likely to stay healthy as if you limited him in the minors?

Mentally, if he's not ready, I can understand... but when you're trying to win ballgames and this kid is dominating AAA hitters... well, it's time to think about moving madson to relief where he has excelled and giving this stud a chance.

dude, have you even been processing the information here?

the concern is not that he'd get injured in the bigs. the concern is that he's only pitched something like 50 innings over the past two years or whatever and so he's an unknown commodity. he may be mentally ready. he may not be. but until he pitches some more innings and encounters more situations, the phils won't know. and they want to before they give the ball to someone.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheOmen » Fri May 05, 2006 1:39 pm

My sources say the talk has begun, and after three more starts, if all goes GREAT, he will be called up, and Madson may go to the pen. If Madson and Floyd have solid starts between now and then, they will remain in the rotation, however. So basically, if Madson keeps sucking, and Hamels keeps killing, it's a done deal. That means end of May.

Source: A friend of the third base coach for Scranton/Wb. So take that as heresay.
TheOmen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby 5 » Fri May 05, 2006 1:56 pm

TheOmen wrote:My sources say the talk has begun, and after three more starts, if all goes GREAT, he will be called up, and Madson may go to the pen. If Madson and Floyd have solid starts between now and then, they will remain in the rotation, however. So basically, if Madson keeps sucking, and Hamels keeps killing, it's a done deal. That means end of May.

Source: A friend of the third base coach for Scranton/Wb. So take that as heresay.

Thanks for the info.

If he's so injury prone, why wouldn't the Phillies call him up before he gets injured?
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CeeLoGreen » Fri May 05, 2006 2:02 pm

Is this like when Felix came up last year? I have the number one priority in my big money league. Is this the type of player to use it on? I haven't heard much about him entering the year. Probably due to the injuries.
Basically I'm complicated.
I have a hard time taking the easy way
I wouldn't call it schizophrenia
But Ill be at least two people today

If that's OK

And I can go on, and on, and on...

But who cares?
CeeLoGreen
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ravenmad22 » Fri May 05, 2006 4:34 pm

Matthias wrote:
ravenmad22 wrote:Wow. Everything I hear says this kid could be something real special.

dude, have you even been processing the information here?

the concern is not that he'd get injured in the bigs. the concern is that he's only pitched something like 50 innings over the past two years or whatever and so he's an unknown commodity. he may be mentally ready. he may not be. but until he pitches some more innings and encounters more situations, the phils won't know. and they want to before they give the ball to someone.

My response was actually to this:
I dont want to see him burned out before he has to be. Makes no sense to me to bring him up too soon.

But if you read more than the first 2 lines of my post, you'd see how I mentioned the fact that he may not be mentally ready, and THAT would be a legit reason to keep him in the minors. This stuff about "getting burned out" is what galls me because there is just as high a chance that his arm falls off in the minors as the majors.

Geez, take your chill pills for the day already.
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tommy John » Fri May 05, 2006 10:36 pm

Can't we all just get along
Tommy John
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheOmen » Mon May 08, 2006 5:36 pm

Today, Ruben Amaro Jr, Assistant GM of the Phils answer when asked when Hamels will be called up "Pretty soon." Then he laughed. So I think it's time to stash him if you can, and if you're in a yahoo league, get ready to hit that WW.
TheOmen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby fishbelly » Mon May 08, 2006 9:55 pm

I'm hoping Hamels hangs around until May 17...

so I can see him own Rochester- and then get a first-class ticket to the city of Brotherly love!

However, one thing that scares me: nobody has any scouting on this kid. 35 IP over 2 years will do that to you- what happens once teams have a book on Cole?
fishbelly
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers