what the heck is going on? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

what the heck is going on?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

what the heck is going on?

Postby great gretzky » Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:44 pm

I have schilling, zito and oswalt in an eleven tem league and it hoguht I was stacked in the SP department. In three starts I may have no wins. Waht else can I do>?
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:48 pm

You can wait for Schilling and Oswalt to come back from their injuries a little longer and all 3 teams to heat up and they will be fine. Without seeing the rest of your team, I can't comment on the rest but those 3 will be fine.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby great gretzky » Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:25 am

well, I am in sixth out of eleven: my team is:

loduca, giambi, brett boone, rolen, cabrera, beltran, manny ramirez, larry walker, jose guillen, jeff bagwell, marcus giles, shannon stewart/hinske. those are the batters

pitchers, schilling, oswalt, zito, lowe, runelyvis hernadez, jerome williams

beaz, gordon, lyon, beck, donnelly.

I am moving wqay up in hitting, but I thought my big claim to fame was starting ptiching. guess I was wrong./
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby jdh » Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:39 am

Well, it's understandable that your pitching would be a problem with Schilling and Oswalt missing large portions of the season, and Zito struggling. Zito is probably having an off year, but will rebound somewhat. His strikeout rate is way down though, which could indicate he has some kind of injury or is tiring. Lowe was mistakenly drafted by alot of people thinking he was a top 10 starter and would repeat his sub 3.00 ERA, sub 1.00 WHIP from last year. In reality, he's only really a top 25 starter, but should get lots of wins on the team he's on and should get his ERA down to the low 4.00 range. Hernandez and Williams are rookies, and it's hard to really tell how they will turn out, but I'd expect inconsistency from them.

Your closers are a real mess and need to be rectified. Baez is decent, but the team he's on means he may often go weeks without a save. Lyon isn't a closer, and may not be a closer again, Donnelly isn't a closer, and Gordon is involved in a bizarre bullpen trifecta where you can't really count on anything from him. Beck should hold onto his closers role for the year, but he is nothing special anymore, and like Baez, his team will limit his saves. You really could use a top tier closer. Having Giambi and Bagwell is kind of a waste, since you have 2 top 8 first basemen. I would try to trade Bagwell for a top tier closer like Wagner, Foulke or Percival.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby great gretzky » Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:52 am

thanks. i pretty much know that why I stunk with pitching in the first half, but figured those big three could bring me back in the second. closers are a real mess as basically three teams have the grand majority of them. so while my guys stink, there are two teams with no closers and two teams with only one. I am actualyl gaining points in that area. thanks for the advice though. I gotta think about that to do here.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Super GM » Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:13 am

Just hang in there, they'll all find their groove. Except maybe Zito. I agree with jdh on this one. ;-D
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby great gretzky » Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:24 am

thanks again. the thing with donnelly is, that I can play baez at sp. so he really isn;t a problem, he is jsut helping keep down era, whip and giving me good k output at little cost. one team has rivera, izzy, foulke and smoltz. (second place) another team has mantei, gagne, borowski and williamson. (first place). another owner has wagner, and lincoln and marte, so he thinks he has a real bullpen and won't trade wagner. he is behind me by ten saves, so I figured it was worth it to take the gamble on gordon, as my gain is also directly his loss, same with lincoln. Kolb and mears and franco and some others are ont he wire as well. but with this squad, I already have four out of eleven points, closing in on the fifth, (only one save behind, and all that guy has is biddle). Two behind the enxt guy after that, then it is a jump of eleven, a couple of teams, then the top three teams are thirty saves ahead, and they have stacked pens. I wonder if it is worth trading froma major stregth, (where I could probably get eelevn out of eleven in four categories for a gain of eigth points, then gamble on my big three putting me n contention for era, whip, k's and wins. I am only nine wins off the elad there and four wins away from gaining two points. and 130k's off the lead. thoughts?
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby IchiBalls » Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:22 pm

Zito had pretty poor control last night. Lots of walks. May want to shop him. There's bound to be someone out there that would give you a valuable player for him thinking that Zito will turn it around. He hasn't been all that bad, but he's definitely not his typical self.
IchiBalls
College Coach
College Coach

Postby great gretzky » Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:23 pm

oh i should add that both giambi and bagwell play, one at 1b and one at CI. The only bench hitter I have is hinske. but I could move either him or stewart. Or would it be wiser to deal a big of for a good closer, say walker. and then play beltran,s tewart, manny and guillen?
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Baseball Leftovers