Trade Spot values - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade Spot values

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade Spot values

Postby Matthias » Tue May 02, 2006 3:10 pm

So, with the recent NFL draft, I read about an NFL draft points system that GMs use while considering swapping spots in the draft, supposedly minted by Jimmy Johnson(?) Not exactly sure how JJ, if he did make it, came up with the values, but at an eyeball, it looks approximately what my gut tells me is right for values in a fantasy draft.

Has anyone considered using this type of thing in their fantasy draft (adjusting, obviously, for the number of teams and just going by draft spot)?

Here's one iteration of it (supposedly individual teams have their own tweaked versions):
http://www.sportznutz.com/nfl/draft/dra ... _chart.htm

Nothing that's terribly relevant right now, but hey, there's always next year.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby subie101 » Tue May 02, 2006 3:18 pm

interesting.. looks about right. in Fantasy Baseball you have a-rod and pujols that are just about even and in fantasy football you have LT2 and SA. it would take an awful lot of 7 rnd picks to equal a 1.1.
subie101
College Coach
College Coach

Postby great gretzky » Tue May 02, 2006 4:21 pm

Yea, they call it the Dallas system. Of course, in football, it isn't an exact science do to the salary cap and pay scales for draft position. But as a general rule, teams do use it.

Although it would definitely mean a lot of 7th round picks for the number one, of course, teams don't do it, since you don't have rosters spots for all those guys. A good lesson for fantasy is in there.

Althoguh, I think the reverse lesson is tru though too. If someone offers you a second and a third, or a late first and a third for pujols or arod, you should take it. It also illustrates in a rough way, how when people with the superstars receive offers, they can say "not enough" even though the offer has some talent into it.

It is an interesting concept though. But, I think it needs amending. After the big two, it seems to me like there is a solid band of first rounders who are all approximately equal, and there is a lot of variation int he picks.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Baseball Leftovers