Vlad - Don't mean to complain, but...I will a little. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vlad - Don't mean to complain, but...I will a little.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Blakas » Tue May 02, 2006 11:18 pm

Vlad will be fine.

His stats are fine.

As long as he avoids injury, he will live up to everybody's expectations as he does every year that he has not been injured.
Blakas
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kcs261 » Tue May 02, 2006 11:48 pm

I have been on this forum for a long time. I rarely whine and I'm entitled to do it when I darn well feel like doing it once every blue moon. I'm sure Vlad will be fine. But, to me, that strikeout to walk ratio is very unusual. That ratio has always been close to 1:1 in his career. I KNOW IT'S ONLY APRIL. But he has whiffed 15 times to 3 walks -- a 5:1 ratio. He hasn't hit a double in over 100 ABs. Call me for crazy for thinking that those are strange early patterns. And I was wondering what people thought about it. Instead, I get the generic "you are freaking out, shut the you know what up line". I find that lame. Engage in intelligent banter please and tell me why those patterns aren't anything to worry about. I don't like to disregard patterns just because I'm told I have to or else I'm freaking out. You understand. Thank you.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Blakas » Tue May 02, 2006 11:57 pm

As I do not believe 100 at bats are a big enough statistical basis by which to draw conclusions I can surmise the irregularities spotted in Vlad's BB to K ratio could be mere fluke.

Alternatively -- and this is not grounded in any fact -- perhaps the off-season death of his three cousins in a car accident, which caused him to skip the WBC, is having a psychological affect on his early season.
Blakas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kcs261 » Wed May 03, 2006 12:03 am

Perhaps he doesn't have adequate protection in that lineup and he is trying to make things happen by swinging at pitches he shouldn't be swinging at? I don't know. I don't get Angels' games in St. Louis. That said, Tim Salmon hitting behind him doesn't seen intimidating. Anyway, that's why I started this thread: to find out why? The info about his cousins is something I didn't know about. Thanks you. Any other explanations would be appreciated. I don't buy it's only April talk just because it's April. I get that it's April, but 100 ABs is 100 ABs.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nuggets » Wed May 03, 2006 12:06 am

kcs261 wrote:I have been on this forum for a long time. I rarely whine and I'm entitled to do it when I darn well feel like doing it once every blue moon. I'm sure Vlad will be fine. But, to me, that strikeout to walk ratio is very unusual. That ratio has always been close to 1:1 in his career. I KNOW IT'S ONLY APRIL. But he has whiffed 15 times to 3 walks -- a 5:1 ratio. He hasn't hit a double in over 100 ABs. Call me for crazy for thinking that those are strange early patterns. And I was wondering what people thought about it. Instead, I get the generic "you are freaking out, shut the you know what up line". I find that lame. Engage in intelligent banter please and tell me why those patterns aren't anything to worry about. I don't like to disregard patterns just because I'm told I have to or else I'm freaking out. You understand. Thank you.

No I don't think people like the miner 2 do understand. I don't know why people take the time to post in a forum they don't want to read :-? I guess they just are here to be imbeciles.

Based on the data I have which goes to 2001, Vlade hasn't K'd 15 times in a month with such a poor OPS (for Vlade), you might want to look at who he's faced. :-?

His career splits don't indicate a slow starter. It could have to do with random variation and/or less lineup protection and possibly in combination with age and injury recovery.

It's Vlade, hitting over .300 with 6 HR in a month. I wouldn't be worrying.
Last edited by nuggets on Wed May 03, 2006 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Wed May 03, 2006 12:09 am

nuggets wrote:
kcs261 wrote:I have been on this forum for a long time. I rarely whine and I'm entitled to do it when I darn well feel like doing it once every blue moon. I'm sure Vlad will be fine. But, to me, that strikeout to walk ratio is very unusual. That ratio has always been close to 1:1 in his career. I KNOW IT'S ONLY APRIL. But he has whiffed 15 times to 3 walks -- a 5:1 ratio. He hasn't hit a double in over 100 ABs. Call me for crazy for thinking that those are strange early patterns. And I was wondering what people thought about it. Instead, I get the generic "you are freaking out, shut the you know what up line". I find that lame. Engage in intelligent banter please and tell me why those patterns aren't anything to worry about. I don't like to disregard patterns just because I'm told I have to or else I'm freaking out. You understand. Thank you.

No I don't think people like the miner 2 do understand. I don't know why people take the time to post in a forum they don't to read :-? I guess they just are here to be imbeciles.

Based on the data I have which goes to 2001, Vlade hasn't K'd 15 times in a month with such a poor OPS (for Vlade), you might want to look at who he's faced. :-?

His career splits don't indicate a slow starter. It could have to do with random variation and/or less lineup protection and possibly in combination with age and injury recovery.

It's Vlade, hitting over .300 with 6 HR in a month. I wouldn't be worrying.

haha... why are you calling me out in this thread?! :-o i was just mindin my buisness and BOOM nuggets tries to serve me. sorry dude you cant serve the server...
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Krunk City King$ » Wed May 03, 2006 1:30 pm

kcs261 wrote:Perhaps he doesn't have adequate protection in that lineup and he is trying to make things happen by swinging at pitches he shouldn't be swinging at? I don't know. I don't get Angels' games in St. Louis. That said, Tim Salmon hitting behind him doesn't seen intimidating. Anyway, that's why I started this thread: to find out why? The info about his cousins is something I didn't know about. Thanks you. Any other explanations would be appreciated. I don't buy it's only April talk just because it's April. I get that it's April, but 100 ABs is 100 ABs.

1. No WBC/unusual spring training...due to the death of his cousins among other things.

2. The death of his cousins.

3. Protection. Who besides Vlad, and Garrett "100-years-old" Anderson does a pitcher have to fear in that lineup? Maybe Figgins? Who fears a guy whose name sounds like a hobbit? But he is a good table setter. Eckstein gone. Davannon gone. Rally Monkey gone. Isn't Cotchman starting off slow too? They are sorta like the AL's version of the Cardinals. Subtracting offensive pieces and not adding anything significant. If they had gotten Manny...we would not be having this discussion.

I would be happy to have a guy with Vlad's stats despite these issues...

I owned Vlad last season. He provdes steady points. He might explode for only two weeks out of the season....but he is Vlad, not Pujols.
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Krunk City King$ » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:39 am

time to revisit?

???
:-?
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:49 am

Krunk City King$ wrote:time to revisit?

???
:-?

StatTracker said he had a HR yesterday and I was excited both him and Tex were breaking out....but it got changed into a ground rule double. :-t

Hey, at least he has a double now. :-D
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sharksfan1139 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:51 pm

He definately has not lived up to my expectations this year....

sharksfan1139
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers