MINOR league draft HELP -- 2nd overall pick - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

MINOR league draft HELP -- 2nd overall pick

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

MINOR league draft HELP -- 2nd overall pick

Postby NYBonkerz » Tue May 02, 2006 1:13 pm

Hey all...I have a minor league draft and have the 2nd overall pick. D. Young was obviously taken first and now I have a choice to choose anyone in the minor leagues. Anyone still in the minors as of right now. This is a 5x5 roto, 5 keeper draft, and we will keep 2 minor leaguers each year.

So... who do I pick?

Wood, BJ Upton, Butler, Reyes, Marte, Drew

I probably dont need help for this year, and would use my two slots as a potential 6th and 7th keepers for 2007. Any help would be great, Thanks!!
NYBonkerz
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Galt » Tue May 02, 2006 1:43 pm

I tend to prefer someone who will get playing time sooner.

Milledge is my top pick because I think he'll definitely have a full-time job next year at the earliest.

Drew and BJ Upton would be my next two, as they'll probably have a full-time SS job next year.

Wood won't likely have a full-time position to begin next year, he will likely get moved from his position, and he strikes out so much that I think as he moves up other levels, his performance will deteriorate.

Gordon and Stewart are other guys who should be solid, but may not have full-time jobs next year. Butler probably won't be up until September '07 at the earliest.

The other thing Milledge has is 5 category usefulness. Upton steals a lot, but he's lacking in other areas. Drew is solid, but doesn't have the power or speed that Milledge has, but SS is obviously a tougher position to fill than RF
Galt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NYBonkerz » Tue May 02, 2006 2:02 pm

Thanks for the insights, any other thoughts? I have 6 hours til I have to make a decision.
NYBonkerz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hybrid » Tue May 02, 2006 3:08 pm

Galt, I think your over estimating Milledge's tools and under estimating everyone else's. He hasn't developed much if any power yet and playing at Shea won't help any, also he may be fast but he has yet to show he can run the base paths well enough ... caught about 40% of the time last year.

Anyways as far as who I would take, either Drew or one of the Upton brothers ... or if you want a pitcher take Billingsley.
Last edited by hybrid on Tue May 02, 2006 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue May 02, 2006 4:11 pm

I would take Justin Upton if you can afford the wait for him, but if you want somebody a bit earlier, BJ Upton would be my next choice.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Galt » Tue May 02, 2006 7:09 pm

yeah, looking more closely at the numbers, I'd go with BJ Upton or Drew.

I was under the impression that Milledge had more power and Upton and Drew had less.
[/img]
Galt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigken117 » Tue May 02, 2006 10:38 pm

I would defintiely take an Upton. If you can wait a few years, Justin. If you're too impatient, Bossman Junior.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby NYBonkerz » Tue May 02, 2006 11:54 pm

took Justin Upton, I felt like i could wait because I dont really need offense that badly...but...most in the league felt like I made a mistake because of he's gonna be an OF (comments like SS is a sexier position were there)...and that everyone else is closer to the bigs...

so far its been Young, J Upton, Wood, Drew, Milledge

Thanks all...I have the 19th pick too later so hopefully someone interesting drops to me.
NYBonkerz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hybrid » Wed May 03, 2006 12:50 am

NYBonkerz wrote:took Justin Upton, I felt like i could wait because I dont really need offense that badly...but...most in the league felt like I made a mistake because of he's gonna be an OF (comments like SS is a sexier position were there)...and that everyone else is closer to the bigs...

Thanks all...I have the 19th pick too later so hopefully someone interesting drops to me.

Don't worry about what they say, he's going to be a stud no matter what position.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed May 03, 2006 12:23 pm

NYBonkerz wrote:took Justin Upton, I felt like i could wait because I dont really need offense that badly...but...most in the league felt like I made a mistake because of he's gonna be an OF (comments like SS is a sexier position were there)...and that everyone else is closer to the bigs...

You made the right pick, and when he becomes a stud at the CF position, make sure you remind them of what they said.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball